Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Gamescom 2020 Opening Night Live: Dragon Age, Necromunda, Solasta, Werewolf: The Apocalypse

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: BioWare; Cyanide Studio; Focus Entertainment; Nacon; Necromunda: Underhive Wars; Rogue Factor; Solasta: Crown of the Magister; Tactical Adventures; Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood

Today was the first day of Gamescom 2020, this year an online event conducted under the auspices of Geoff Keighley and IGN. Disappointingly, there were no new game announcements of any interest to the Codex during the opening night stream. There was however another non-announcement for BioWare's next Dragon Age game, apparently still years away. There were a number of new trailers for already announced games, such as Necromunda: Underhive Wars, whose trailer introduces the game's three gangs. There was also a trailer for Wasteland 3, but since that's coming out in less than an hour(!), I'll save it for the release newspost.

After the opening night event, new trailers continued to be revealed as part of IGN's daily Gamescom broadcast. Among them was a brief teaser for Solasta: Crown of the Magister announcing that the game will be coming to Early Access this fall. Later on, there was also a new cinematic trailer for Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood which reveals some background details about the game's protagonist (spoiler: Pentex killed his parents!).

So yeah, a pretty underwhelming first day. There are however additional unannounced game reveals on IGN's schedule tomorrow and on Saturday, so perhaps there's still something to look forward to.

jac8awol

Arbiter
The Dragon Age video reminds me that I had a lot more faith in studios back in the day when I couldn't see who worked in them.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
The Dragon Age video reminds me that I had a lot more faith in studios back in the day when I couldn't see who worked in them.
that's because they used to actually show the games and not just people holding up signs stating "sorry we didn't have any gameplay footage please enjoy this visualisation that says IN-Engine and Pre-Alpha like that means anything also look at how diverse we are". I mean this is what happens when you let marketing interfere with every decision so they're not trying to make something to prove a point they're trying to make something that tricks you into putting your money in upfront even if the product doesn't exist aka the Bill Gates approach.

Boomer_007

Novice
"We are very experimental here in Bioware, so we always come up with new stuff. eeee, hahahahaha".

"You are really felt like you a hero in a Dragon Age world, and you saving people...."

"Decisions making can mean that party member lives or party member dies".

This DA video is fucking horrible

EruDaan

Arcane

I had a lot more faith in studios back when they could make decent RPGs.

I had a lot more faith in studios back then they were not overrun by SJW-cunts whith an agenda who need to implement real world politics in their games. Together with trannies and openly gays in "medieval" settings.

Absinthe

Arcane
Bragging about the fact that you're using mo-cap in DA4 is a great way to dampen hopes. That's no longer an accomplishment in this day and age, so treating it as one is a great way to lower standards (and expectations) for your game.

It's also telling that after this many years, they still have nothing serious to show in a video that's meant to show off how far they've come on the project.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Bragging about the fact that you're using mo-cap in DA4 is a great way to dampen hopes. That's no longer an accomplishment in this day and age, so treating it as one is a great way to lower standards (and expectations) for your game.

It's also telling that after this many years, they still have nothing serious to show in a video that's meant to show off how far they've come on the project.

I'm expecting a mismanagement shitshow just like Andromeda or Anthem. Years don't count when the first 80% of development is thrown in the trash.

Absinthe

Arcane
Seems like it's just a redevelopment, yeah. But the current development also seems directionless seeing as they were unable to articulate the basic concept of DA4 in an entire video trying to talk about what DA4 is like.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Dragon Age 4 - too bad we won't be playing the concept art

Necromunda - small scope and sterile

Solasta - banal/boring but mechanically ok I guess (?)

Werewolf - one of those forgettable console ARPGs that you play once and never again

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seeing that DA4 video makes me realize that no kid should dream about working for an AAA studio.

hpstg

Savant
For Dragon Age you need to imagine that they think that's a good look for their game. I won't even mention how they present as amazing things like mo-cap and "your friends might die", for a AAA RPG.

Who was it who said during the "new shit" trailer of DA:O, that one day this will be presented as the pinnacle of incline?

I agree. I would take a stupid grim dark, setting-inappropriate piece of shit like that old trailer, than this.

Even Inquisition had good points if they didn't stretch its regions so much for no reason. This looks like it's going to be a distillation of tired clichés and boredom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom