Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News SKALD: Against the Black Priory gets teaser trailer, coming to Early Access on August 2nd

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Scape-IT; SKALD: Against the Black Priory

The last time we posted about SKALD: Against the Black Priory, the game's backer beta had just launched, with a final release scheduled for September 2020. As it turns out, it didn't take long for creator Anders Lauridsen to decide he wanted to spend more time on SKALD, and the final release was dropped in favor of an Early Access release in late fall 2020, which was then further postponed to summer 2021 at the end of that year. In the meantime, the game has kept getting better and better, with the implementation of seamless interior & exterior environments and a massive overhaul of the combat system, which now takes place on the world map instead of in a separate battle screen. Today store pages for SKALD were launched on Steam and GOG. Here's the teaser trailer Anders put together for the occasion, which introduces the haughty magocracy of the Gallian Empire.

You drag yourself from the black tides, across the corpses of drowned men, and onto the unwelcoming, craggy shoreline. Gulls cry overhead and the stink of seaweed fills your nose. By some miracle you have made it to Idra. It will take all your skill to survive and unravel the eldritch mysteries of the Black Priory. Pray your sanity holds.

‘Skald: Against the Black Priory’ is an old-school roleplaying game that combines modern design and a fully realised narrative with authentic 8-bit looks and charms.

Delve into a dark fantasy world, full of tragic heroes, violent deaths and Lovecraftian, cosmic horror. Explore an engaging, branching story mixed with rich exploration and crunchy, tactical, turn-based combat that will seem familiar yet innovative to RPG fans, old and new.

Do you have what it takes to lead a company of broken heroes from the tainted shores of Idra to the gates of the Black Priory - and beyond?

Lovingly crafted retro-style art
  • Experience a richly illustrated world of authentic pixel art using thousands of hand-drawn tiles and images
  • A palette inspired by the legendary Commodore 64 computer.
  • Optional CRT filter for that authentic old-school experience.
Deep character creation
  • Build your main character and recruit a party from among a dozen diverse characters, each with their own skill-set, agenda and personality.
  • Choose from a dozen classes and backgrounds as well as heaps of feats, spells and equipment as you take your party from level 1 to 20.
Crunchy tactical combat
  • Engage in challenging, fast-paced, turn- and grid-based combat.
  • Play it your way, with fully customizable difficulty and feedback settings. Or hit ‘auto-resolve’, lean back, and (hopefully) watch your party cleave a bloody path through their foes.
A richly detailed, living world
  • Explore the vast expanse of Freymark and the Outer Isles and watch your actions spell doom or salvation for the region.
  • Focus on the rich, branching narrative… Or live the life of a mercenary and explore varied sidequests and encounters - the plot will wait for you.
  • Manage your party as you make camp, recruit hirelings, travel by land and sea, and interact with powerful factions and their visions for the world.

The Steam page reconfirms that SKALD will be launching on Early Access this summer, specifically on August 2nd. According to the FAQ, the game will remain in Early Access for six to twelve months.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Game looks very promising, and based on the devlog, this is one thoughtful dev with good taste in RPGs. Anything with a C64 (inspired) colour palette must be great anyway!

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I'm looking forward to that.

In short, SKALD is now the undisputed king of the Ultima-inspired retro RPG subgenre, and so it's nice that GOG have agreed to accept it on their platform.

Until Skald is released, Nox Archaist should be entitled to hold the crown.

Last edited:

Acrux

Arcane
Wow! The overdone retro style usually grates on me, but these guys have definitely nailed it.

aris

Arcane
Heh. Music is pretty much lifted from Händel's Keyboard suite in D minor III Sarabande

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I tried to get into Ultima I-IV a while back, and got filtered by the clunky user interface and the directionless style of open world movement.
Very interested in this, as it does not only look gorgeaus and atmospheric, but also seems to have a quite sensible User Interface, that would make it the perfect entry to ease me into that game style.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
so when is the C64 release sheduled?

I don't think there will be one. The colour palette is only C64 inspired and the resolution is higher (definitely not 160x200 multicolor mode with the standard max 3 colours per 8x8 char cell limitations).

Luzur

Good Sir

I don't think there will be one. The colour palette is only C64 inspired and the resolution is higher (definitely not 160x200 multicolor mode with the standard max 3 colours per 8x8 char cell limitations).

1*YcfxxaUXUy822IBtuZwhnA.gif

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
This might be the only game in recent history with a name I like. Every time I hear it I can't help but think how good it sounds. It also happened with Serpents in the Staglands, but I think I like this one more.

Luzur

Good Sir

1*YcfxxaUXUy822IBtuZwhnA.gif

Here's something for you to look forward to:

bruhf, i handle news posting in the Commodore thread so i know all those rad projects

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom