Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Solasta: Crown of the Magister Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Solasta: Crown of the Magister; Tactical Adventures

When we learned in late 2018 that former Amplitude Studios CEO Mathieu Girard had founded a new studio in Paris under the somewhat generic title Tactical Adventures in order to create an RPG "inspired by Baldur's Gate and XCOM", few imagined it would turn out to be as big a deal as it has. Thanks to its unpretentious approach and adherence to the 5th Edition D&D ruleset, which have positioned the game as the underdog versus Larian's upcoming Baldur's Gate 3, Solasta: Crown of the Magister soon became one of the Codex's most anticipated titles. Twenty months after its Kickstarter campaign and seven since it launched on Early Access, the final 1.0 version of Solasta has been released (although Kickstarter backers have actually had access to it since two weeks ago). Here's the launch trailer:

There aren't many reviews of Solasta. The reviews it has gotten are generally positive but critical of the game's boilerplate fantasy plot and slight jank. To which I say, meh. But here's the list:
Solasta: Crown of the Magister is available on Steam and GOG for $40 with a sizeable 20% launch discount until next week, and it's also available with Game Pass at the Microsoft Store if you're subscribed to that. With this release, has the Codex GOTY for 2021 already been determined before even half the year has passed? We shall see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Imagine missing out on the best D&D video game adaptation in years because of a menu option without any consequence whatsoever.
solasta-rpg-party-cutscene-900x506.jpg

"Thas rite!"

Latro

Arcane
Garbage UI, trash art style, fucking pronouns. No thanks. Not even worth a pirate.
Imagine missing out on the best D&D video game adaptation in years because of a menu option without any consequence whatsoever.
When they decide to confront players with their agenda they must deal with people denying their agenda. Deal with it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
If it has 'no consequence' why add it? Espicially since they were whining about 'lack of resources'. If you have limited resources why would you waste what resources you have on something that adds nothing to the game. And, if ut adds nothing why be desperate to defend it? LMAO

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Garbage UI, trash art style, fucking pronouns. No thanks. Not even worth a pirate.
When they decide to confront players with their agenda they must deal with people denying their agenda. Deal with it.
there are no agenda, loser.

it's just fucking pronouns. only snowflakes triggered by pronouns options

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
solasta-rpg-party-cutscene-900x506.jpg
Imagine being autistic, and being Codex staff, and not doing the minimal required research to find out she's there for literally 30s to deliver exposition, and that she's so forgettable she'll be gone from your memory the following 30s after she departs.

I see you're not very used to being upheld to a standard there, Roguey... which is sad, because otherwise I'd throw around words such as "shameless" and "embarrassment" vis-a-vis your post and, maybe, character.

When are we supposed to expect any sort of display of self-respect from you, Roguey? How many months are okay to pass as Codex staff, before it's okay to demand you post this kind of trash less?

"Thas rite!"
How quaint. How eloquent. I am completely blown away.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Snowflakes appear to defend somehting that, in their words, is 'meaningless'. I dunno, i don't defend 'meaningless' stuff. :P

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Imagine being autistic, and being Codex staff, and not doing the minimal required research to find out she's there for literally 30s to deliver exposition, and that she's so forgettable she'll be gone from your memory the following 30s after she departs.

I searched for merran AND solasta and the only result was the imdb page where she's listed as one of three voice actors so I figured she must be important.

When are we supposed to expect any sort of display of self-respect from you, Roguey? How many months are okay to pass as Codex staff, before it's okay to demand you post this kind of trash less?

I have no idea what gave you the idea that being a member of the Codex staff is some position of respectability.

The_Mask

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Snowflakes appear to defend somehting that, in their words, is 'meaningless'. I dunno, i don't defend 'meaningless' stuff. :P
Showflakes? Whatever do you mean, sir?

Had I'd be a mediocrity like Roguey, and take the bait a journalistic site pushed just for some extra woke views, then maybe I'd feel offended. As such I don't.

But I do pass the turn to Roguey to defend his mediocrity in the face of the points I am making. This interesting display of him being utter trash compared to a main stream game journalist. Let's see his eloquent post. Or his... witty... ratings.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I guess this is alright but, as I'm really a slow kind of guy, this is making me realize that the Codex truly has a Dungeon and Dragon fixation. The love for generic fantasy shit is truly without limits. I haven't played fucking DnD since I was 13, and I'm now 22. I don't know what it is with this nonsense. I guess 80% of it is artificial grognard nostalgia ; do you fuckers even play DnD? What's so great about it? How is it not inferior to a lot of other pnp systems? You pick up your little sheet and your little dices and you level up your little character? What the fuck are you doing?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"How is it not inferior to a lot of other pnp systems?"

It is better than all other systems. PERIOD.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
True. Why would you need to be respected, am I right, Roguey?

I see no value in having respectability, true.

By the way I took a gander at https://solastacrownofthemagister.wiki.fextralife.com/NPCs and this is an extremely multiethnic game. I'm not sure what you're trying to pull here. Shouldn't you be celebrating the ethnic diversity instead of being deceptive and claiming it's just there in a blink-and-miss-it moment?

The_Mask

Patron
Pull? I'm just interested in your language and display as a non-multi-ethnic person, as self-proclaimed autistic individual and, what I thought until now, a person with self-respect.

I'm sure that if the game would have white-only characters, your self-respect towards posting would just jump back up.

Post me more links from the wiki, as opposed to actually playing the game. That'll help your argument.

Codex Year of the Donut
Pull? I'm just interested in your language and display as a non-multi-ethnic person, as self-proclaimed autistic individual and, what I thought until now, a person with self-respect.

I'm sure that if the game would have white-only characters, your self-respect towards posting would just jump back up.

Post me more links from the wiki, as opposed to actually playing the game. That'll help your argument.
pretty sure roguey is part nigga

I agree with the UI looking shite. Looks like something out of endless space 2. Fucking hate this windows 10 style UI design in so many recent games. Still gonna buy this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom