Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Solasta: Crown of the Magister Released

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Anyway, could someone say something useful about this game? Gameplay, performance, level design?
From what I've played in EA, its a much better adaptation of 5e than Larians Baldurs Gate is. While the UI doesnt fit a typical RPG style, you get used to it very quickly and its actually pretty intuitive. Encounter design was really great, with elevation being used extensively as originally promised, and abilities like jump or spells like levitate/fly are pretty damn useful (whereas in most other games they simply provide a slight AC increase). Environmental effects can be used sporadically as well. Quick travel in the city reduces the amount of backtracking and mindlessly running around to a minimum, and I had no trouble running the game on my i7 4790k and GTX960.

It's not the prettiest game, characters can look like ass sometimes, but who the fuck cares about that shit. If character models or gender pronouns bother you in an RPG, then maybe you should head to fucking resetera or rpgwatch. It's a good RPG, probably the best 5e game we have, and since the modding tools are really easy to use and will be expanded as time goes on, this game might be a worthy successor to the NWN1 module scene. Even with 2 more years of development I don't see BG3 beating this in terms of 5e implementation and combat/encounter design.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Pronouns in game = I buy on torrents. Thanks for the warning.

Economic pressure is the only thing they understand. One day they'll cave in to us, if we stop buying their trash.

I'm sure the combined forces of few randoms on 'dex will bring developers to their knees.

Anyway, could someone say something useful about this game? Gameplay, performance, level design?
Asia, South America, the Muslim world and Russia could unite and ban games with propaganda of being mentally deranged. But it all starts somewhere. I'm just doing my part. Can't fail if you don't try.

Mortmal

Arcane
Pronouns in game = I buy on torrents. Thanks for the warning.

Economic pressure is the only thing they understand. One day they'll cave in to us, if we stop buying their trash.

I'm sure the combined forces of few randoms on 'dex will bring developers to their knees.

There's a whole thread with people speaking about it, some people even gave almost a full review of it, very detailed impressions , then usually when you scroll 2 or 3 posts down below, i am not even exagerating , you get a guy asking " Is it good ?" .Futility...

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Asia, South America, the Muslim world and Russia could unite and ban games with propaganda of being mentally deranged. But it all starts somewhere. I'm just doing my part. Can't fail if you don't try.

Russia is already united with its brothers in Somalia, Syria and Venezuela in defending its sacred traditional values.

Codex Year of the Donut
Where is the threat to you in having an option for other people that won't influence your experience in any way whatsoever?
Why do you people keep treating us like we don't see what you're doing?
"It's not political! It's just like choosing your character's clothing!"

If you showed this to someone 5 years ago they would be confused and for good reason. Yes, it is politically motivated, stop trying to pretend otherwise.

"It doesn't influence you!"
So would you guys be fine with having to choose which version of the Abrahamic god you worship at character creation? It doesn't influence you. I know the game doesn't have abrahamic religions, but I'm pretty sure they don't have modern idpol either, yet they have a choice for something produced by that.

elverkongen

Learned
Imagine missing out on the best D&D video game adaptation in years because of a menu option without any consequence whatsoever.
solasta-rpg-party-cutscene-900x506.jpg

"Thas rite!"

Oh no, black people! Whatever will we do?!

Humanophage

Arcane
If character models or gender pronouns bother you in an RPG, then maybe you should head to fucking resetera or rpgwatch.
It can bother you, you can still play it because it is otherwise a good game, and you might want to consider pirating it to discourage developers from doing such things later on. It's a win-win, you get a good RPG and the devs get the necessary feedback so they can justify not including such shenanigans in their future projects.

The issue is that good games typically sell poorly while trash games sell well, so the threat of piracy is more pertinent to the devs of good games, who are also more likely to listen to feedback. I.e., such a dev is sacrificing parts of the limited audience who might buy their game. The dev is doing it to please the sort of "they" people who will never buy their game anyway since they tend to have poor taste. Meanwhile, trash devs like Bioware can ignore all feedback and still sell, and you're not going to buy their stuff anyway, so you have no power over them at all.

(I still bought the EA some time earlier because I didn't know about the propaganda elements)

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why do you people keep treating us like we don't see what you're doing?
"It's not political! It's just like choosing your character's clothing!"

If you showed this to someone 5 years ago they would be confused and for good reason. Yes, it is politically motivated, stop trying to pretend otherwise.
It's inclusion might be politically motivated. I don't know. And I don't care, because the option itself is not political.

Do you have pronouns? Yes, you do. So do I. As does everyone else.
Same with skin color. There might have been political motivation behind the first games offering a skin color choice (honestly, I don't know) - but the choice itself has nothing political about it.

What would be political is if they included all the imaginary ones, like that xir/whatever/latinx/lol nonsense.
But that's not what they did.
You got he, she and they. Nobody sane would argue that these pronouns don't exist - all three are valid pronouns that have been around for at least 500 years.
A quick check confirms earliest mentions of singular they found as early as 14th century. It had gotten out of use for a bit, but is coming back as people notice that he and she can't fulfill all required roles sufficiently.

Would I want to be "they"? No. I don't even get why anyone would not want to be clearly male or female.
But I'm just not enough of a left-behind swamp dweller to tell other people what they should or shouldn't be doing if none of it affects me.

"It doesn't influence you!"
So would you guys be fine with having to choose which version of the Abrahamic god you worship at character creation? It doesn't influence you.
Of course I would be fine with that - why wouldn't I?
Assuming the game is set in a universe where such a choice would make sense to begin with, of course. And assuming that the choice has some actual influence on the game (even if only cosmetic).

Codex Year of the Donut
It's inclusion might be politically motivated. I don't know. And I don't care, because the option itself is not political.

Do you have pronouns? Yes, you do. So do I. As does everyone else.
Same with skin color. There might have been political motivation behind the first games offering a skin color choice (honestly, I don't know) - but the choice itself has nothing political about it.
You don't pick your pronouns. A man is referred to as 'he' because he is a man. Picking your pronouns is a modern idpol construct. There already was a way to choose your sex, which determines your pronouns.

But I'm just not enough of a left-behind swamp dweller
People who look like gollum shouldn't make comments like this.

Assuming the game is set in a universe where such a choice would make sense to begin with, of course.
So this universe has modern western identity politics such that picking your pronouns separate from your innate sex makes sense?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You don't pick your pronouns. A man is referred to 'he' because he is a man. Picking your pronouns is a modern idpol construct.
Even if you believe that scientifically outdated nonsense, and I have no doubt that you do:
Where exactly is the problem for you, personally, when another player is allowed to make a choice that you wouldn't make?
Why is it important to you that another player is not allowed to make a choice they'd like to make?

This isn't even like the "should there be an easy mode" discussion - as in that you can absolutely argue that an easy mode would make the "club" of people who beat the game a lot less exclusive.
And people love being members of exclusive clubs.
But this? Has 0 impact on gameplay (I assume).

elverkongen

Learned
If anything, I encourage the transgender movement. We need more transgenders, more people willingly castrating themselves, chemically or physically. More people rendering themselves barren, of their own supposed choice. I will shield my children and my children's children from the vile, putrid, fetid and festering puss wound of their ideology. Whatever offspring the hormone-infused beasts produce will have naught but vestigial gonads, small and shriveled and useless. And slowly, over many years, more and more land and resources will be sequestered by my descendants.

Codex Year of the Donut
Even if you believe that scientifically outdated nonsense
:nocountryforshitposters:

A man cannot be a woman and a woman cannot be a man. That is biology.
Where exactly is the problem for you, personally, when another player is allowed to make a choice that you wouldn't make?
You are the equivalent of a flat earther or creationist, I refuse to partake in your pseudo-religious dogma.

Codex Year of the Donut
You are the equivalent of a flat earther or creationist, I refuse to partake in your pseudo-religious dogma.
Thank you for admitting you have no arguments and are just pissed at people disagreeing with you out of pure spite.
My argument is that I will not partake in your religious practices, and I will not purchase products that promote said religious practices. You can call your religious beliefs scientific all you want, but that does not make it true.

Yes, it does affect me. For the same reason I know you wouldn't purchase a game that required you to recite the Lord's Prayer before you could play.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
My argument is that I will not partake in your religious practices, and I will not purchase products that promote said religious practices.
Does that mean we won't see you in the Solasta thread?

Oh no.

Also, will you ask for a refund for Baldur's Gate 3 since it allows you to make male characters with female voices and vice-versa? Very brave of you to shit on Larian like this, keep up the good work!

elverkongen

Learned
Thank you for admitting you have no arguments and are just pissed at people disagreeing with you out of pure spite.
My argument is that I will not partake in your religious practices, and I will not purchase products that promote said religious practices. You can call your religious beliefs scientific all you want, but that does not make it true.

Yes, it does affect me. For the same reason I know you wouldn't purchase a game that required you to recite the Lord's Prayer before you could play.

It's hard to stomach the insanity sometimes. Addle-brained simpletons take their daily dose of Woke (TM) then stare ahead with glassy eyes and dribble nonsense out of the left corner of their mouths. Science MUST be adhered to when it seemingly confirms The Ideology, but when it doesn't then it's imperfect, up to interpretation, "in its infancy", and so on. "Human life begins at conception" - no no no, it's nothing but a clump of cells, it isn't a person yet. See? The goalpost is over there now.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Imagine missing out on the best D&D video game adaptation in years because of a menu option without any consequence whatsoever.
solasta-rpg-party-cutscene-900x506.jpg

"Thas rite!"
What? Literally what.

Now even the existence of black women with strange hair is enough to dismiss a game?

Dynaheir-DYNAHEI-Portrait-BG1.png

This has nothing to do with games becoming politicized, this is about people becoming retardedly obsessed about this shit.
And then you see Codex staff echoing this trash.

"Codex a prestigious magazine that we all like to read" <- we all'd like to rate that with a monocle, but when the time comes to step forward to maintain that standard, it seems very few do. And when those very few do, they're pursuing some sort of nefarious agenda.

I'm going to keep my self-respect, even if Roguey doesn't.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Not really a good comparison.
That would require me to actively do somelthing I don't want to do.
A pronoun choice is an option that - if I held your antiquated beliefs - I would simply not make use of. Pretty sure selecting your sex automatically selects the default pronoun with it.

(see last 2 minutes or so)

I would have to hate something so much that its mere existence as an option in a game would deter me.
Ain't gonna happen - I couldn't hate something so insignificant so much. I'd be irked in your shoes, but that's about it.
Truly a dumb hill to die on.

Btw. I'd totally recite some prayers if the game was worth it - in contrast to you, I do not suffer from delusions or am so ideogically blinded I just refuse to accept reality or simple facts of language of the last few hundred years.
Come to think of it, that would actually be pretty hilarious. The looks of my GF alone while I recite prayers to my PC would absolutely be worth it.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Meh the pronoun shit is dumb I agree, but I'll take it for good combat.

Not like this is a story focused game anyway.

Codex Year of the Donut
Not really a good comparison.
Oh yes it is. You just refuse to accept that you've drunk your cult's koolaid.
I do not suffer from delusions
You think mentally unstable men can become women if they mutilate their body enough, take enough drugs, and put on a wig. I'd call you a clown, but clowns are funny and not actively harming people with mental health problems while helping fund rich surgeons and major pharmacy corporations.
Truly a dumb hill to die on.
I have no intention of dying on any hills.
I do not suffer from delusions or am so ideogically blinded I just refuse to accept reality
I'm sure many thought the same when Moniz was awarded his nobel prize.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
A pronoun choice is an option that - if I held your antiquated beliefs
Ohh those outdated beliefs that don't lead to a 43% suicide rate.

Yeah, in the rest of the world they're actually very current beliefs, unlike what you'd like to make us think, propaganda boy.

V_K

Arcane
Asia, South America, the Muslim world and Russia could unite and ban games with propaganda of being mentally deranged.
Oh yes, the economic superpowers that need regional prices to be 70% lower to even consider buying a game. The devs are trembling at the thought of losing such a huge market.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom