Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News SKALD: Against the Black Priory Prologue Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Scape-IT; SKALD: Against the Black Priory

As we reported last month, the promising Ultima-inspired retro RPG SKALD: Against the Black Priory will be going into Early Access on August 2nd. But even if you weren't a Kickstarter backer you won't have to wait until then to play it, thanks to a free prologue released today consisting of the game's first couple of hours. Here's an updated gameplay teaser put together for the occasion:

The SKALD prologue is available free on Steam, with a GOG release planned for tomorrow.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
A free demo is usually a very good sign that says "we're not afraid to let you play it even at this current stage". After the disaster that was Unknown Realm, it's a very promising beginning

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can't wait for this to be completed! With all the so-called "retro" graphic indie games that clog the internet these days this is pure incline! SkaldRPG has nailed the look and feel of a true "retro" cRPG now to see if he's nailed the gameplay....

I've had more fun lately with Realms of Antiquity and Nox Archaist than any more modern cRPG released lately and hope this one continues the winning streak.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
"Currently we do not support using the prologue save-file for the main game after launch."

Well, bugger. At least there was a warning.

Zeriel

Arcane
This looks good. I hope it has some length to it--all these retro-styled games often are pretty bite-sized.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
This looks good. I hope it has some length to it--all these retro-styled games often are pretty bite-sized.
Yes but, precisely because of that, I keep getting surprised by how long several of these recent ones inspired by early Ultima are. Lurking I & II are 50 hour long each, Nox Archaist seems to be in the same range and Realms of Antiquity even twice longer. I can't talk about the other ones I've not played but Lurking I & II are certainly all the more worthy of interest due to their amount of content, which their structure embraces.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I hope it has some length to it--all these retro-styled games often are pretty bite-sized.
IIRC the dev's plan is to keep the main campaign somewhat short (about 12 hours or so?) but keep enough optional content to allow much longer than that, and the Early Access version already promises 20+ hours of gameplay.

I believe the Prologue can be finished in about 3 hours on first playthrough, and about an hour or less if you ignore the side content and just zoom through main events.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
God, that wall collision sound is going to haunt me...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom