Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Dev Diary #7 - Story of the Worldwound

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Alexander Mishulin; META Publishing; Owlcat Games; Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous was released last week. By all appearances the game seemed to be doing well, and indeed today Owlcat announced that the game has already sold 250,000 copies. That doesn't mean the hype is going to slow down though, as apparently they intend to continue releasing dev diaries. The latest one is an overview of the Worldwound and its history, featuring Paizo creative director James Jacobs.

Moscow, Russia, September 10, 2021 — Owlcat Games and META Publishing announced with pride that Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous has surpassed 250,000 copies on PC alone during its first week of sales. As well as seeing more than double the number of concurrent players during the first weekend enjoying the game compared to Kingmaker launch! But it’s not just all exciting numbers, players and press alike have given overwhelmingly positive feedback.

“For a long time, we’ve been working extremely hard on making Wrath of the Righteous everything we originally conceived at the start of development and even more after the phenomenal support during the Kickstarter campaign. We wanted this to be a landmark moment for CRPG fans, pushing the genre into new spaces, with mechanics that tried to give players an experience that brings the flexibility and freedom found in Tabletop adventures,” says Creative Director Alexander Mishulin. “We’re glad that players and critics are really feeling that we’ve given them that and even more. We truly are overwhelmed with the response”.

As with every video game launch, there are still issues to solve. Owlcat is already working around the clock to resolve these and give players a truly friction-free experience. With 3 patches already released and more coming every week, the team isn’t slowing down now that the game is live.

“This is truly a big moment, no doubts here. And it’s only the beginning! We’re determined to give players what they expect, and I’m genuinely blown away by the energy the Owlcat Team is putting into fixing the issues players are reporting. It’s really awesome to see!” Says Ilya Salamatov, CEO of META Publishing. “It goes without saying that we’re listening to the community incredibly closely, so please keep your feedback coming, as it’s invaluable to us.”

Meanwhile, Owlcat teamed up with Creative Director at Paizo James Jacobs to create a video that dives into the background lore of Wrath of the Righteous - to help ease some players into the Pathfinder setting overall, and give a bit more insight into the Worldwound itself. Players can check it out here!

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is now available on all major digital stores including Steam, Epic Games Store, and GOG for $49.99. It will also be available on consoles for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions slated for release on March 1st, 2022. Prime Matter, Koch Media’s premium gaming label, will distribute the physical console copies.​

Well, it's great news. I wonder how many more of these dev diaries are left. They do have that console release coming up in March.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
pc master race is beta testing yet again for them consoles.
Don't worry. No matter how much we beta test owlcat will still give up on the console release half way through and leave them all fucked. None of the crpgs have had good console releases despite what console people may say.

Dycedarg

Learned
Sounds like it's a sequel that sold on the strength of the original and will drop in sales once people see how bad the sequel is.

I think it's the opposite. Owlcat has found it's audience, which should be a mixture of furries, trannys and critical role fans. It turns out that most of the Codex are not part of this rainbow coalition.

dacencora

Sounds like it's a sequel that sold on the strength of the original and will drop in sales once people see how bad the sequel is.

I think it's the opposite. Owlcat has found it's audience, which should be a mixture of furries, trannys and critical role fans. It turns out that most of the Codex are not part of this rainbow coalition.
Nah. Deadfire captured this exact group quite well and it sold miserably. This “audience” is not very sizable.

Dycedarg

Learned
Nah. Deadfire captured this exact group quite well and it sold miserably. This “audience” is not very sizable.

We'll see. Just keep in mind that the first PoE sold quite well. If Pathfinder follows the same pattern, it will be this game's sequel that will suffer from poor sales.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Kingmaker: 78% Positive (18,907 reviews)
Wrath of the Righteous: 81% Positive (3,806 reviews)

Also it took a while for Kingmaker to get 78%, they had a lot of patching to do.

KingDoofus

Scholar
I've seen a few people complaining that this game is a woke screed. I just finished the first chapter and I don't know what the fuck they're talking about. You meet a prominent woman orc soldier who's a lesbian... and so far, that's it. It's not even an issue that she's a lesbian, she's not telling you to check your privilege and listen to her Melissa Ethridge mixtape. The only reason you know she's a lesbian is that her wife is also a soldier who helps you in the prologue. You can ask her about the relationship in dialogue - or not. My god. A butch woman soldier happens to like chicks. How shocking.

(Besides, all female orcs are canonically lesbians - where were they in Lord of the Rings? That's right, too busy fucking each other to join the fight)

Does Act 2 feature a transgender stripper coming out of a birthday cake to tell me about the necessities of Critical Race Theory? I'm genuinely curious, where is all this woke shit? Or is a butch lesbian soldier all it takes to be considered woke now?

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

We'll see. Just keep in mind that the first PoE sold quite well. If Pathfinder follows the same pattern, it will be this game's sequel that will suffer from poor sales.

Pillars of Eternity 2 sold badly because the systems for the first one were over developed and un-fun. Josh Sawyer required the players to think and experiment a lot in order to never feel powerful or accomplished. It's impossible to feel like a wizard when you need 3-5 fireballs to kill some randos, you might as well be throwing firecrackers at them.

I don't think many people will have a problem feeling powerful in Wrath of the Righteous.

Zeriel

Arcane

Pillars of Eternity 2 sold badly because the systems for the first one were over developed and un-fun. Josh Sawyer required the players to think and experiment a lot in order to never feel powerful or accomplished. It's impossible to feel like a wizard when you need 3-5 fireballs to kill some randos, you might as well be throwing firecrackers at them.

I don't think many people will have a problem feeling powerful in Wrath of the Righteous.

I think the dullness of the setting and the writing can't be overstated too. Sure Golarion is bland, but it's not bland in the aggressive way Deadfire and PoE are. At least it taps into some of that fantasy energy, PoE is bewildering to me--it's like they tried to do some mish-mash of D&D and historical fiction without attaining the appeal of either. It sucks at being a D&D knockoff. It sucks at being a Darklands wannabe. It just sucks period, in terms of writing and lore.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
And whatever they'd paid Avellone to list him as a founding father during the first Kickstarter campaign and as a narrative designer for the second one is paying off big time.

dacencora

I think the dullness of the setting and the writing can't be overstated too. Sure Golarion is bland, but it's not bland in the aggressive way Deadfire and PoE are. At least it taps into some of that fantasy energy, PoE is bewildering to me--it's like they tried to do some mish-mash of D&D and historical fiction without attaining the appeal of either. It sucks at being a D&D knockoff. It sucks at being a Darklands wannabe. It just sucks period, in terms of writing and lore.

I know it’s heresy, but despite all its flaws, I quite liked Pillars 1, and found the setting much more interesting than Golarion. And Divine Casters in Pillars 1 are outright fun. I hardly ever pick a Wizard class to play because they just don’t really appeal to me, and that might have a lot to do with why I liked Pillars a lot. The buff wizard meme is a very fair criticism of the game, but I typically care more about other classes in RPGs than Arcane Casters. They ruined it in Deadfire, though. Divine Casters were not nearly as fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom