Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Starcrawlers Chimera coming to Early Access on November 16th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Juggernaut Games; StarCrawlers Chimera

Starcrawlers Chimera, the single-character follow-up to 2017 sci-fi dungeon crawler Starcrawlers, was successfully crowdfunded back in May. As promised, developer Juggernaut Games released the game's alpha build to backers soon afterwards, and it's been updated several times since then. The beta/Early Access release has taken a while longer than planned to finalize, but today they announced that it will be out on November 16th. Here's the announcement trailer:

The GOG page for Starcrawlers Chimera was launched in July and the Early Access build is set to arrive there as well. It looks like Juggernaut already have the first few content updates planned out.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Grimlock had a sequel, Vaporum had one, so I guess it was bound to happen for Starcrawlers.

Last edited:

almondblight

Arcane
Grimlock had a sequel, Vaporum had one, so I guess it was bound to happen for Starcrawlers.

It's not really a sequel, per se:

Purposefully, Chimera is going to be a very different game than StarCrawlers (it's definitely not StarCrawlers II) and so I'm trying some new stuff which is a challenge and fun for me to work on and play. Hopefully you'll enjoy it too!

Starcrawlers was really enjoyable, so I'm hopeful this will be at least interesting. They're still thinking about making a proper sequel, though:

I would very much like to make StarCrawlers 2 that evolves the concepts in the first (party based, branching story, better proc gen missions, etc) but we'll see what the future holds when we get there :D

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have got some hopes for this. Starcrawlers was too annoying and grindy for my taste, and the heavily shield based combat was not a big draw in the first place. Many of the other modern blobbers were morw fun. I wouldn't have been in the market for a Starcrawlers 2, a turn based single player blobber however is gimmicky enough to draw me back in.

Kickstarter funded Early Access Unity Procedurally-generated
Like a straight up mockery buckshot of shit you really don't want to see at first glance, at first glance.

Considering the art style looks even worse than the first game somehow and you only have a single character to work with, I really don't see a bright future for this.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I have got some hopes for this. Starcrawlers was too annoying and grindy for my taste, and the heavily shield based combat was not a big draw in the first place.
I actually enjoyed game of attrition that each mission was

almondblight

Arcane
Yeah, I found playing on Normal and taking missions a couple of levels above you kept the game decently difficult while cutting down the grind. Contacting the different corps directly also gives you hidden objectives/enemies that make the procedural missions more interesting/difficult.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have got some hopes for this. Starcrawlers was too annoying and grindy for my taste, and the heavily shield based combat was not a big draw in the first place.

The problem for me was that every mission was the same battle for attrition. There was no real variety, no tense bossfights and no easy sweeps inbetween. Felt samish and boring. Not a fan of procedural generated content, because it makes the difficulty curve either flat or random.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
They sure like their donuts.
84f2e94c0eeecacc1db3a80720e7ebf6e6b0ea5ad3a741ce8a4260ae6a89a703_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_450.jpg
0821fd350c9bf9e375f84037055fbbb3c0eb888e2a9a66ca971fca33566bb99b_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_450.jpg

BRING ME THE DUNKIN'
ce2f98c4118cf016ebb24c38e11b29d38dc8e140a37203a9b692dae748eb92a0_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_450.jpg

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

The problem for me was that every mission was the same battle for attrition. There was no real variety, no tense bossfights and no easy sweeps inbetween. Felt samish and boring. Not a fan of procedural generated content, because it makes the difficulty curve either flat or random.

I remember a few tense fights during assassinations missions or when I was hunted by corps that I had pissed off. But maybe I wasn't very good

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
while I played a few roguelikes I cant say I like them as a genre. As such I cant rly name why I enjoyed starcrawlers while I disliked others.
For example darkest dungeon didnt work for me while it does feature attrition is similar way. Probably its because I like being attached to my party members and I would prefer to run same party across all scenarios

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom