Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Space Wreck now available on Early Access

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Pahris Entertainment; Space Wreck

Space Wreck, the promising Fallout-inspired isometric RPG set aboard a derelict spacecraft from veteran Codexer Kamaz, was released into Early Access today as promised. As opposed to the free demo, which remains available, the Early Access build of Space Wreck includes all of the game's planned content. Kamaz intends to use the Early Access period to gather feedback from players and fix bugs (which are apparently plentiful). Here's the launch trailer, which is identical to last month's release date trailer except for the ending slide, and an excerpt from the release announcement:

Put on your helmet and close the hatch - the full version of Space Wreck has been launched into Early Access orbit!​
If you choose to press THE BUTTON, there is an adventure ahead. Granted, it won't be smooth sailing, there are space pirates, rebels, tricky situations, and complicated solutions. And that's just one part of it - you would also be going in where "no man has gone before" - into fresh, rough, dangerous content that has not enjoyed months of public scrutiny yet.​
I mean, there will be bugs. And I don't mean green-blooded squishy ones.​
What Full Version Early Access means?
All of the planned content, 100%, is available to you with this version. However - while we have tested on our own - the sheer range of possibilities and combinations is beyond our reach, hence we expect a fair share of bugs in there as well. This is why it is early access.​
How can I help?
By buying a game! :D Space Wreck has been developed by a small two-person team where we both have day jobs and limited time for development. We also have had practically 0 budget. If it turns out that people actually want to pay money for this game, we might have more options in the future!​
But the other - very important - thing you can do is to give feedback. We improved the game greatly when we released the Early Access demo; the game changed significantly over the year and a half - as you can see in older videos, it was quite different. The Steam message boards here or discord, even Twitter - we keep an eye on these channels, so drop by, say hi and tell us what you think!​
One very specific thing you can do, though, that will have an immediate and significant effect: if you buy the game, you can then leave a Steam review. If we get at least 10 or more of these (and probably positive) in the first 24 hours, the Steam algorithm will grant some additional exposure which will give us a chance to show off the game to more people.​
What's next?
Full release sometime in the next 6-8 months, hopefully. And, depending on reception, we'll see if the game warrants an expansion, so leave a review ^^^ if you want to see more of this type of game!​
The Space Wreck Early Access build is available on Steam for a cool $15, with a 15% launch discount until next week. As mentioned, the final release is expected within six to eight months, at which point the game's price point will likely increase. Seems like a good idea to grab it now.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Wait, how is "Combat is optional" a bad thing?!
The codex is generally pro combat, often disparaging more narrative-oriented games (heavy combat games are my preference too tbh)

Sure, but it's there - the combat is optional: available at any time. I mean, if you want, you can kill every single NPC in the game and still complete it. It won't be easy but there are no "essential NPCs" or crap like that.

I think in the demo we had even a separate ending for such murderous bastards.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
-Looks like butt.
-Eye-bleeding UI
-"Combat is optional"
-Tranny protagonist

Yeah that's a miss from me.

The codex is generally pro combat, often disparaging more narrative-oriented games (heavy combat games are my preference too tbh)

Yes, but most Codexers (or at least the Codexers of old) have always found the fact that a game can optionally be completed without combat admirable, even if it's not a run they would do themselves.

A lot of this bullshit seems to be down to the usual cringe peddlers on the site that constantly search for the slightest thing to be riled up over. I wouldn't mind other than the fact it seems to then dominate every discussion for page after page.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron where are the news about a finally fixed and stable version of Prelude to Darkness being released?

Infinitron was asking about the licensing situation in the PtD thread, so it might be that he purposefully doesn't want to draw attention to it until that is resolved.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
RPGs are combat simulators. Somehow this "optional" feature is part of every single RPG ever made. The midwit attitude is that combat is incidental to the game because idk, violence makes Carebears sad.

eUVtGV1.png

An RPG with optional combat is like a racing game with optional driving. "Avoid driving courses by making speech checks!" Herp derp.

constantly search for the slightest thing to be riled up over.

Here is a new game, on the front page of the site (hard to miss), that advertises itself as FALLOUT INSPIRED. Given my username and avatar, I am a Fallout fan, so I am interested in said game. Yet five minutes after booting up the game I realize they do not understand Fallout or RPGs. Hence I voice my opinion as such. Take it or leave it.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
A "fallout fan" is pissed that the game has optional combat?

Literally number one on the game design doc.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/f...atement.pdf/revision/latest?cb=20120312141016

1. Mega levels of violence. (you had better give us that Mature rating right now)
    You can shoot everything in this game: people, animals, buildings and walls. You can make “called shots” on people, so you can aim for their eyes or their groin. Called shots can do more damage, knock the target unconscious or have other effects. When people die, they don’t just die – they get cut in half, they melt into a pile of goo, explode like a blood sausage, or several different ways – depending on the weapon you use. When I use my rocket launcher on some poor defenseless townsperson, he’ll know (and his neighbors will be cleaning up the blood for weeks!)
    *** This is the wasteland. Life is cheap and violence is all that there is. We are going to grab the player’s guts and remind him of this. ***
    [2]

Yes I know, optional playstyles is number 3. Still, megaviolence was number 1. Be honest, most of the combat in the game is not optional. Sneaking and talking are exceptions, not the rule.

People seem to forget that Fallout has random encounters. Like a JRPG. Or Wizardry. How do you talk your way past a giant radioactive scorpion? How do you clear the Wannamingo Mine with the power of positive thinking?

It's like people Mandela Effect'd Fallout into something that it never was.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yes I know, optional playstyles is number 3. Still, megaviolence was number 1. Be honest, most of the combat in the game is not optional. Sneaking and talking are exceptions, not the rule.
They made this to sell the game to Interplay's dudebro middle management. Combat was very obviously not Fallout's primary focus and there are no terribly-long dungeons or combat crawls on the critical path which is one of its virtues that is sadly rarely replicated in other RPGs (Troika itself didn't use this design tenet on Arcanum and Bloodlines so it could have very well been a fluke).

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Hey there!

Itch.io will only receive the full version, when it is done?? I'd rather get Space Wreck on Gog / itch.io / etc, as I like to have offline backups of my games.

You posted about Itch.io in one of your previous posts, but Space Wreck trailer made no mentions of an Itch.io release.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Hey there!

Itch.io will only receive the full version, when it is done?? I'd rather get Space Wreck on Gog / itch.io / etc, as I like to have offline backups of my games.

You posted about Itch.io in one of your previous posts, but Space Wreck trailer made no mentions of an Itch.io release.

I'll first deal with the Steam launch, get one or more patches out, and then might release EA on itch.io. At least that's the plan.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Hey there!

I'll first deal with the Steam launch, get one or more patches out, and then might release EA on itch.io. At least that's the plan.
Releasing on Itch is vastly easier than steam. You literally just upload a zip file.

I just ctrl + v my steam page and called it a day. There is some financial backend stuff you have to deal with, but it's pretty easy too.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom