Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Game Awards 2022: Baldur's Gate 3 and Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Baldur's Gate 3; CD Projekt; Cyberpunk 2077; Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty; Larian Studios

The latest installment of Geoff Keighley's annual Game Awards show aired last night. I won't even pretend to care about everything that happened there. As a Codexer, the main reason to watch was the new Baldur's Gate 3 trailer. Having already teased the return of Minsc earlier this week, Larian's new trailer revealed that Jaheira will be a character in the game as well. Most importantly, it announced that the game will be launching in August 2023. Later on during the event, CD Projekt unveiled a new teaser trailer for the Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty expansion. The main point of the trailer was to reveal that actor Idris Elba has joined the cast, playing a federal agent named Solomon Reed. CP2077 seems to have gained a new lease on life since the release of the Edgerunners anime series in September and I guess it makes sense to try to follow up on that with more mainstream celebrity promotion. The first sentence in the trailer is pretty funny, though.

In related news, a new Baldur's Gate 3 Panel From Hell event is scheduled for December 14th, during which Larian will most likely release the game's ninth patch featuring the long-awaited Paladin class. Stay tuned, Geoff Keighley will be there too.

grimace

Arcane
Will Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty release as a standalone title or be included in a Game of the Year/Complete edition?

Is it merely DLC?

Paul_cz

Arcane
Will Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty release as a standalone title or be included in a Game of the Year/Complete edition?

Is it merely DLC?
Of course it will be included in some Complete edition down the road, but on launch it will be separate purchase that will require the original game and be integrated with it.

ropetight

Savant
Larian will most likely release the game's ninth patch featuring the long-awaited Paladin class

9th patch sounds great at first

Then you realize it's been 2 years of EA and the game is still in Act 1 with lvl 4 cap
They announced release in august 2023, but it seems impossible to finish rest of the game in that time.
It will be a mess, time to crunch. wageys!

has baldurs gate 3 just eased into being a never ending DLC game that will never actually leave EA? why would they? They are even winning awards now ? What the actual fuck? This EA shit is out of control and sucks the life out of a game.

Also the various NPC's and PC's in the game look like pouty teenagers and highly manicured soft modern south American soap stars battling over who gets to be next in line to have their anus bleached than they do scrappy, hardy adventurers.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
zyzz-aesthetic.gif

Curratum

Why is Larian SO BAD at graphics?

It's been 7+ years since Witcher 3 came out and Baldur 3 looks so much worse visually, especially the lighting. Larian's every game looks like it was made without an art director.

It's such an incredible mistake to pursue this 'cinematic' direction for an iso RPG. So many resources directed to what will ultimately be a sad uncanny valley pastiche that people will only remember for the memes. Even in a tightly controlled sample like the current EA version, and from the very first moments of the game, I was struggling not to laugh at all the tryharding ridiculous cutscenes.

It's a shame because the game's underlying systems seem to be solid - they just won't matter at all, because the development priorities must be so skewed. I guess Larian went full retard and are entirely committed to chasing that Bioware audience off the fucking cliff.

ropetight

Savant
It's such an incredible mistake to pursue this 'cinematic' direction for an iso RPG. So many resources directed to what will ultimately be a sad uncanny valley pastiche that people will only remember for the memes. Even in a tightly controlled sample like the current EA version, and from the very first moments of the game, I was struggling not to laugh at all the tryharding ridiculous cutscenes.

It's a shame because the game's underlying systems seem to be solid - they just won't matter at all, because the development priorities must be so skewed. I guess Larian went full retard and are entirely committed to chasing that Bioware audience off the fucking cliff.
Yeah, it is more Dragon Age: Origins 3 than Baldur's Gate 3 in style.

Falksi

Arcane

It's been 7+ years since Witcher 3 came out and Baldur 3 looks so much worse visually, especially the lighting. Larian's every game looks like it was made without an art director.
It's fucking vile. Sven's a right nonce going with that God awful style for dark fantasy. He wants his arse fucking with a wire brush.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Woooow. Minsc. Maybe someone internally finally dared to point out that the game so far had nothing to do with the earlier games. Probably just a marketing move though

I hate BG3

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Back in the day no one wanted to touch Divinity Divinity with a 10 feet pole. It was like a third-rate RPG.

But, when the cat's away the mice will play.

The only reason they are getting attention now is because the standard has sunk incredibly low

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's such an incredible mistake to pursue this 'cinematic' direction for an iso RPG. So many resources directed

Well mate, blame the Dark Age of RPGs (2004-2012)

Games such as Dragon Age, Mass Effect and Witcher were huge decline. Linear games with focus on voice acting, cinematic dialogue and cutscenes. Of course, there are plenty of retards here who believe games should be movies.

And you could tell years ago that BG3 had Dragon Age written all over.

Last edited:

ropetight

Savant
Yeah, it is more Dragon Age: Origins 3 than Baldur's Gate 3 in style.
you say that like its a bad thing

bg3 is the spiritual sequel to the ghostly predecessor of the metaphysical grandfather of dragon age inquisition and thats good
There is one reason - I really dislike cutscenes and dialogue style DAO popularized.

Banter in BG was more than enough to make characters more alive.
But then BioWare decided they'll be big, flashy Hollywood production studio with all the actors, voice overs and facial capture.
In reality they made bunch of uncanny valley inducing nightmares of couple of polygons trying to display emotions.
Even today those scenes look bad, and those from DAO and ME were laughable at best.

Cutscenes disrupt gameplay by taking control from player, and make games more boring cinematic than interactive medium.
if done in moderation, sure, they can bring something to experience, but if every dialogue is done with zoomed in character models it is just tiresome.
If I never see another "Bioware Dialogue" in my life, i'll be happy - but it seems they are inevitable in BG3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom