Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Game Awards 2022: Baldur's Gate 3 and Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Shaki

Arbiter
Why does this shit look like Dragon Age: Origins? It's so bland it makes me wanna puke. There are literally indie games made in a basement with better art direction. Is having fantasies about being topped by vampires, black dudes, and big red lizards, the only requirement Larian has to become their employee?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Why does this shit look like Dragon Age: Origins? It's so bland it makes me wanna puke. There are literally indie games made in a basement with better art direction. Is having fantasies about being topped by vampires, black dudes, and big red lizards, the only requirement Larian has to become their employee?
They are belgian, bro.
That's all I have to say.

Zeriel

Arcane
They are belgian, bro.
That's all I have to say.

They didn't used to be like this. It's when they "expanded", hired a bunch of dangerhairs from the journo circuit, etc. DOS1 era was the last gasp of old Larian.

The Baldur's Gate 3 trailer is pretty funny. The big reveal at the end is meant to be this big "Oh shit, he's back" moment, but Baldur's Gate isn't some huge seller, so the majority of people seeing that trailer don't even fucking know who the character is. The trailer is built in such a way you get the impression it is some character, but the majority of people that see that trailer aren't going to give a fuck. I saw a video were someone watched that trailer and asked if the character was Baldur.

On top of that, of people that do know who he is, some might be wondering why the fuck he's even there. Could also lead to a small segment of the audience thinking they need to play the first two games before it, and maybe just skipping it while it's new or all together.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Korgan + Berserk Ability = Unholy beast of destruction.
Keldorn has immunity to Hold and Charm/Domination, True Sight ability and the massively overpowered Inquisitor Dispel Ability.
Really, who needs Minsc?

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
I never took minsc into my party for long, but I understand that this trailer was made primarily for the old-school gamers who played the first and second games.

It has nostalgia values and it works for many.

Zeriel

Arcane
I never took minsc into my party for long, but I understand that this trailer was made primarily for the old-school gamers who played the first and second games.

It has nostalgia values and it works for many.

If you say so. I can't imagine anyone who has nostalgia for BG enjoying this stuff. In fact, that has generally been the break down of discontent people have with BG3--the more they remember the old games and want BG3 to be like them, the more they hate BG3. The more indifferent/unaware they are of the old games, the more they shrug and don't see the problem with it.

Personally I'd rather they didn't have characters from the old games at all. It would be better to have them obliquely mentioned in a book or dialogue.

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
Personally I'd rather they didn't have characters from the old games at all. It would be better to have them obliquely mentioned in a book or dialogue.
I understand the mentality but the title of the game is BG3 which means it's a sequel to BG1 and BG2.

When we consider this fact, it becomes obvious that the old story had its influence throughout time and the old characters were part of that influence and it makes sense to include them if they are still alive.

Of course they could have changed the story that all the old characters died or lost interest in the big storyline of BG (WoC might not like that).
I suppose it's more lucrative if you keep your target audience large, which in itself isn't a bad thing as long as the story they're telling is believable.

Personally, the Bhaal saga ended with BG 2 + DLC, but I could accept the fact that it was part of a big conspiracy, maybe from another faction/power.

mastroego

Arcane
The Baldur's Gate 3 trailer is pretty funny. The big reveal at the end is meant to be this big "Oh shit, he's back" moment, but Baldur's Gate isn't some huge seller, so the majority of people seeing that trailer don't even fucking know who the character is. The trailer is built in such a way you get the impression it is some character, but the majority of people that see that trailer aren't going to give a fuck. I saw a video were someone watched that trailer and asked if the character was Baldur.

On top of that, of people that do know who he is, some might be wondering why the fuck he's even there. Could also lead to a small segment of the audience thinking they new to play the first two games before it, and maybe just skipping it while it's new or all together.
I don't think he's such a beloved character, either.
Honestly the kind of "wink wink humor" associated with that kind of characters is pretty cringey too.

I suppose Viconia, for instance, would have made a stronger reveal.
But still.
Nothing could have undone this Dragon Age feel.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Honestly, Jim Cummings(Minsc's voice actor) is the best part about the character.
Everything else not so much.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
They need to get Edwin back also. He was the best companion untill Sarevok was available in TOB.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
They need to get Edwin back also. He was the best companion untill Sarevok was available in TOB.
I think that in the Throne of Bhaal companion ending slides, Edwin picked a fight with Elminster and got permanently turned into a squirrel as a result. Still, I imagine that a wizard of his prowess would have some means to dispel that or rid himself of that condition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom