Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Geneforge 2 - Infestation gets trailer and Steam page, coming Q1 2024

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Geneforge 2 - Infestation; Spiderweb Software

Geneforge 2 – Infestation is a unique, truly open-ended fantasy adventure in a unique world of alien fantasy. You are one of the Shapers, wizards with the awesome power to create life. Want a tool, a trap, an army? You summon it into existence. You create mighty beasts, and they totally obey you. Usually.

But your people have grown lazy and complacent, and a threat has appeared. Your creations are no longer content to serve you. You are lost in a wild, savage mountain range. A rebellion is growing there, and it offers you awesome power if you join. Will you use your powers to destroy the rebels or aid them? Bring peace or lead them to war? The choices are all yours!

Geneforge 2 – Infestation offers unmatched freedom in how you play. Fight alone with blades, missiles, or magic, or create your own army of custom-made mutant monsters. Alternately, use trickery, diplomacy, and stealth to win the game without ever attacking a foe. There's no 'bad guy'. Choose between a host of rival factions or just destroy everything.

Geneforge 2 is an epic fantasy adventure with almost ninety zones to explore, 50+ hours of gameplay, and huge replayability. Choose from dozens of spells, weapon skills, abilities, and creations to make to reach a vast array of different endings. The rebellion has begun. Awesome wealth and power is yours for the taking. What will you do?

Geneforge 2 – Infestation is a total remaster of our 2003 cult-classic Geneforge 2. It contains new areas, quests, characters, and dialogue, a redone interface and systems, and a complete reworking of every single thing to bring it into the modern era of gaming.​

Alter Sack

Magister
So it's basically the same game with slightly better graphics but worse gameplay/game mechanics?

It seems you are better off playing the old game and not the remaster.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So it's basically the same game with slightly better graphics but worse gameplay/game mechanics?

Unlike his earlier remakes of the Avernum series, Jeff's first Geneforge remake was considered good, an all-around improvement.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Unlike his earlier remakes of the Avernum series, Jeff's first Geneforge remake was considered good, an all-around improvement.

His Exile remake (Escape from the Pit) is a masterpiece

The Geneforge 1 remake was also good

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik

Worse gameplay mechanics? Where did you read something about that?

Anyway, are we expecting 5 years for a full remake of this series? Because damn, what a slow process :argh:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
We need a Vogel emote for anything remade, repeated, recooked and everything low effort.
24-GameRecycler.png

Currently you can buy the new Geneforge 1 for 16€ or the entire collection of original games for 5€ on GOG. This way, only old fans are gonna buy his new offerings. I shouldn't expect Jeff Vogel to be bursting with ambition, but still...

Namutree

Savant
Want a tool, a trap, an army? You summon it into existence.
Finally I can summon a trap, I've been settling for trannies too long.

At any rate, I've never played geneforge, but this sounds neat. Likely the remake wont have a dogshit UI like a lot of old rpgs do, so I'll wait for the remake to release to try it out. Wishlisted.

Shaki

Arbiter

His Exile remake (Escape from the Pit) is a masterpiece

The Geneforge 1 remake was also good
First Exile remake (Avernum) was great, and imho mostly improvement over the original. Second remake tho (Avernum: Escape from the pit), is straight up inferior both to the original and the first remake. It's far too dumbed down, got rid of too many things that made the game feel magical and unique.

Geneforge remake was good tho, so maybe he learned his lesson.

I wish he would invest a little in some different sprites for each series tho. Call me crazy but I feel like in his older games, (Avernum series, Geneforge series, Nethergate) there were actually far more unique sprites than in his new productions - nuAvernum/nuGeneforge/Avadon/Queens Wish, all look exactly the same, with 90% of portraits and monster and character sprites being reused. At this point I kinda don't feel like trying Geneforge 2 after looking at screenshots, because it feels like replaying the exactly same game for the 10th time.

Considering that most of the sprites in these games have very few animations, and it's 2d low tier shit, it can't be that expensive to invest in some new ones for each series of games, right?

Also I'd swear that original Nethergate looked better than any of the games he's ever made since then, I especially remember character sprites being beautiful compared to his other games, but maybe it's just nostalgia, I really liked this one.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
At any rate, I've never played geneforge, but this sounds neat. Likely the remake wont have a dogshit UI like a lot of old rpgs do, so I'll wait for the remake to release to try it out. Wishlisted.

The remake of the first one is already out. This is for the sequel.

First Exile remake (Avernum) was great, and imho mostly improvement over the original. Second remake tho (Avernum: Escape from the pit), is straight up inferior both to the original and the first remake. It's far too dumbed down, got rid of too many things that made the game feel magical and unique.

The original trilogy is the best. Going from a party of 6 to 4 was a huge decline. That said, the most recent remakes are decent if you can't get into the originals. Everything outside of combat is still largely intact. Though food becoming useless makes things a little weird in some spots.

almondblight

Arcane
There are reasons to play Avernum 1 over Exile 1, because he added a ton of content to Avernum 1 (Exile 1 is relatively empty for a Vogel game). But Exile 2 and 3 are superior to the remakes - much better graphics, bigger parties, and better spell systems.

Aemar

Arcane
Exile series and the Nethergate game, Vogel's best releases by a long mile. He should stay the fuck away from remastering his old stuff, as it's quite embarrassing to live off rehashed releases, and concentrate on creating something completely new instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom