Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Breath of Thunder Kickstarter Campaign with a Twist

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Breath of Thunder; Sungrand Studios

About a week ago, I ran across this video about a Kickstarter from a small indie developer looking to push his own Kickstarter for an indie JRPG called Breath of Thunder which he will be releasing on the PC and a bunch of other things. In order to show he's serious about developing the game for multiple platforms and that he can do it, he released his own version of Mighty No. 9 for the 3DS and PSP. Here's some info:

Breath of Thunder is a turn based JRPG created specifically for people who long for a classic RPG experience free of modern complications. There is no obtuse, convoluted storyline, no buttonmashy battle system, and no boring, pointless filler content. Breath of Thunder will remind us all what made us fall in love with this genre in the first place; interesting characters we care about, engaging storylines, vibrant worlds full of fascinating lore, and beautiful music.

There is a world of magic out there, beyond sight and time, that we all explored when we were growing up playing games on our favorite old consoles. It was a world of wonder, where anything was possible and the universe was boundless. Modern AAA game studios have lost sight of that world and seem to have entirely lost interest in that magic, but us gamers have not forgotten. Let
Breath of Thunder be your bridge back to that world of wonder and adventure.

There's a demo for Breath of Thunder you can snag right here. As said above, he's developing it for PC, Switch, AtariVCS, and several other platforms.

Here's that bonus freebie he made for PS Vita and 3DS. Pretty damned unique method of campaigning there.

Falksi

Arcane
That's one desperate dude reeling with butthurt.

I'll back a campaign to buy him a girlfriend.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
That's one desperate dude reeling with butthurt.
I checked out his YouTube channel after finding that video where he made those two versions of Mighty No. 9 to promote his JRPG. I personally have no interest in JRPGs for the most part, but I do like it when people make things for older consoles like the 3DS.

He seems to make smaller budget titles on a monthly basis for curent hardware, but he's working on Breath of Thunder in between what he makes to keep the lights on. He also has releases for older hardware for free.

I think this is more of a problem with Kickstarter these days. How many Kickstarters have resulted in nothing or less than nothing?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think this is more of a problem with Kickstarter these days. How many Kickstarters have resulted in nothing or less than nothing?
I agree.
The dude isn't really to blame here, other than not really realizing KS is probably not the best choice for his situation.

It is no longer really suitable for "I have no income to spend on this, pay me to make this" kind of situations as people have been burned by that too often.
This isn't entirely his situation, but that's what people will think is the situation when looking at the campaign without researching the people behind - can't really blame them.

Fatberg Slim

Educated
Patron
he's developing it for PC, Switch, AtariVCS, and several other platforms.

:what:

I assume he means it will be playable on the new Atari systems that can also play modern games, but I'd pay at least $5 to see an RPG that runs on actual VCS hardware

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
that's what people will think is the situation when looking at the campaign without researching the people behind - can't really blame them.
Kickstarter has a worse reputation than Steam Early Access, which is quite the feat. Go find any Early Access game that hasn't updated in over a month, and you'll find at least one "Is this game dead?" thread. Now magnify that by a thousand, and you have Kickstarter.
I assume he means it will be playable on the new Atari systems that can also play modern games
The ironic thing is that I believe the AtariVCS, the new one, was a Kickstarter. From everything I've heard, it's a decent little bit of tech with the biggest criticism that it's a little expensive for what you get. But it was delayed and there were shipping issues and other things.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Hilarious troll video.

But I don't really see any hate around the campaign? If by "hate" the dev means a low funding rate, that's just how it is now.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
How about posting news about other kickstarters like Scribe?
I probably didn't post about it because this is the first I'm hearing about it. But it looks neat, so may as well.

But I don't really see any hate around the campaign? If by "hate" the dev means a low funding rate, that's just how it is now.

I haven't seen much either, but he's been fairly specific on what they were "hating" about, being that people didn't think he could make the game for multiple platforms. Kind of a silly thing to say considering there's development tools that are highly cross platform.

ZACKIE

Educated
Single man rpgs usually suck balls, writing, creating characters, world building takes a ton of writing experience and genuine talent and it's usually multiple people doing it. Take a look at how bad Sea of Stars is because of just the writing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom