Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Spell Tomes - new Oblivion plug-in!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Having problems pwning things in Oblivion? Friends and foe alike laugh at your stupid ass? For only $0.99 you can get your self-esteem back!
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>This pack adds <a href=http://obliviondownloads.com/Coming_Soon_DLC4.aspx>“Spell Tomes”</a> to the world’s random treasure. These books grant you wondrous and powerful magic spells, just by reading them! Now Mages will also gain instant benefits by treasure hunting. <b>Friend and foe alike will bow in awe before your power.</b>
<br>
<br>
Here are just a few of the new spells obtained from Spell Tomes:
<br>
<br>
Blink: A low-level invisibility spell to get you out of trouble.
<br>
Baltham's Insight: a short duration but long range detect life spell.
<br>
Shield Wall: Fortify Heavy Armor and Shield effect.
<br>
Night Form: Powerful Invisibility and Fortify Sneak, and take Sun damage, which reduces Magicka cost to cast.
<br>
Pride of Hirstaang: Fortify Strength, Resist Frost, and Summon a Bear.
<br>
Orum’s Aquatic Escape: Invisibility, Night-Eye, and Water-breathing.
<br>
Elemental Blast: A powerful offensive spell with: Fire damage, Frost damage, and Shock damage.
<br>
Magicka Vortex: Absorb Magicka, Weakness to Magic 25% and Stunted Magicka. </blockquote>Awesome!
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, Stargelman

stargelman

Scholar
I'll say this: I personally like the Spell Tomes DLC. I like any mod that adds more interesting things to loot, especially for mages. It's not as massive as the Mehrunes' Razor DLC, but it's not priced that way, either.

Thus says BlueDev. You gotta wonder if really everyone at BethSoft has turned into a marketeer now?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Why not? Bethesda probably made 20 bucks per copy on the game that took 4 years to make, and they've already sold $12 worth of plug-ins that took next-to-nothing to make. 0.99 is nothing, yet if a million people (probably a third of the Beth fanbase) buy it...

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I'm much more annoyed at the people who pay for these things than the developers. Way to encourage this shitty money grubbing practice.

Balor

Arcane
Well, it might be a godsend to a console crowd, but for PCs?!!
There are quite a few mods out there that add MUCH better spells. Scripted spells with unique effects, namely.
Those that they describe sounds like ones you can make after spending 5 minutes in CS, first 4 minutes taking getting used to it, and one minute to make them all.

obediah

Erudite
I hope you guys are just getting warmed up, you need to save some rage for the consumables. Paying $1.49 for $.05 worth of content is just the lube for the OMG "double strength potion" - 3 points each.

And of course the real cash cow

Fer Halo 3 Online play only:

2 second invisibility capsule : 10 pts
immediate health refill : 15 pts
5 rounds of uber ammo 10 pts.

Stargazey

Novice
I play on a 360 (save your bile) and I even think Beth is fucking about here. If you're going to charge to release stuff that can be made by modders, at least make it something interesting. Hire a few voice actors, or something. Some books with crap ass spells do not a good mod make.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
Blink: A low-level invisibility spell to get you out of trouble.

I bow before the awe of your expensive low-level invisibility!

Binary

Liturgist
Admiral jimbob said:
They're CHARGING FOR SPELLS which can be made perfectly well IN-GAME?

Ah but for 99c you dont have the trouble of actually doing them!

Next addons:

$2.99: The Orb of Glory! All monsters on Kvatch portal become dead when you get there.

$4.99: The Spell of Unlimited Charisma! Automatically become guild leader of all guilds

$6.99: 10 Daedric weapons added to your backpack, Including a Daedric Katana that instantly kills any monster when you sneeze

$10.99: The spell of munchkiness! Cast this spell and you're automatically teleported to the final room of the game.

etc

vazquez595654

Arbiter
You know, I have bought every single one of the official add-ons. Maybe I should stop buying them, well right after this one of course...er and the next one, but that's it I swear. Oblivion roxorxzx!

suibhne

Erudite
New spells in Oblivion are horribly dull and pointless, since the whole magic system (for better or worse) ensures that no spell is unique.

Balor

Arcane
"New spells in Oblivion are horribly dull and pointless, since the whole magic system (for better or worse) ensures that no spell is unique."
Unless you manually scrpit the spell in question in CS.
Then you can do pretty wacky stuff... still much less then I hoped, but anyway.
However, those spells seems to be a bit reworked stock ones.

Top Hat

Scholar
Tips Top Hat. Greetings!

I'm quite amazed at Bethesda's brilliance. By brilliance, I mean brilliance in their ability to make a poor game even worse. Todd must be so proud of the "Mods of Todd" spreading around the globe.

Of course! Why didn't I see it before! The Main Quest of Morrowind was trying to warn us of what was really going on at Bethesda, and tell us what to do:

* From his lair at the mountain Dagoth Ur(Bethesda), Dagoth Ur(Todd Howard) planned to release the corprus disease(Oblivion) out into the population.
* The other Dagoths (Pete Hines, etc.) all helped to spread this disease using their magic powers (marketing PR and mods).
* The Sleepers (Oblivion fanboys), Ascended Sleepers (ESF moderators), Ash Slaves (game review sites) all helped him in his evil plan for world conquest (BEST GAME EVAR!!!) by spreading the meaningless phrases from their dreams (Radiant AI, physics, soil erosion).

Hmm. Where do you think we can get hold of a person born under a certain sign to uncertain parents?

Exit.

Thrawn05

Scholar
vazquez595654 said:
You know, I have bought every single one of the official add-ons. Maybe I should stop buying them, well right after this one of course...er and the next one, but that's it I swear. Oblivion roxorxzx!

Wait a day and there's bound to be a free torrent or somthing.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
On the bright side, at least they get to keep all of the money.

This might be the only way to get any money since the publishers take it all.

The content itself is utter crap, but if a game had a bunch of pretty good expansions that were reasonably cheap then it would really make it worthwhile.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Some of you in this thread act like you're surprised, as if Bethesda charging fans for minimal effort mods is actually "news", to which I rightfully query: what the fuck is wrong with you and where have you been for the past 5 months?

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jim Kata said:
Drug dealers don't pay taxes. Hooray!

There gotta be a shortcut in your brain. I am all in favour of developers getting their money, but fuck Bethesda and fuck this moneymaking sheme.

The_Pope

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
These books grant you wondrous and powerful magic spells, just by reading them!

This is balanced because redding is teh hard.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Claw said:
Jim Kata said:
Drug dealers don't pay taxes. Hooray!

There gotta be a shortcut in your brain. I am all in favour of developers getting their money, but fuck Bethesda and fuck this moneymaking sheme.

As I said, their content is shit, but it would not be so bad if say fallout were still puting out minimods all these years later - and perhaps fixing bugs as well or at the least keeping the game current with the OSes of today.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I can't wait until they start releasing Fallout 3 mods.

dongle

Scholar
Man, they really went to town on this one! This is the type of mod only the Mighty Bethesda could create. None of those amateur modders could touch this one!

Check out the New Content

I mean, look. A dev team had to create a new book, then type all those words into the construction set. Some frantic testing likely ensued, make sure summon is spelled right, and all that. Then, and only then, they could drag and drop their precious new item to the world's random loot lists. Man, they must have hired in a special dev with really steady hands to do that part. You never know, those drags can start out fine, but then the drop bit goes all awry. Then some more testing, a nervous meeting to present their new baby to Todd, and huhzaa, it works! Well done men!

--

Seriously; No new models, no story, no NPCs, no monsters, no locations, no dialogue, maybe 25 words of text. One dev could do this on their lunch-break.

psycojester

Arbiter
Why do you assume a Dev was involved?

Personally i think it was the work of a janitor, you know the guy that Todd hired to write the storyline for the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom