Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 Dev Diary #14: What are we up to? Part 2

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Paradox Interactive; The Chinese Room; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/...s-2/news/dev-diary-what-are-we-up-to-part-two

As summer approaches we wanted to fill you in on a few processes and reflections our team is grappling with. So much going on right now!

Design
“For my Quests, I like to lean into the protagonist's nature as an outsider in a foreign land. Seattle may at first seem inconsequential to an Elder Vampire but, powerful as you are, you're still at the bottom of the ladder. Phyre must quickly react to a Kindred power structure in chaos and the early missions in the city reflect this.

Rejection by those in power would mean certain befalling, and so Phyre must prove their worthiness to Seattle's elite. Many of my quests follow this thread of pressure being applied to our protagonist. For players to run the gauntlet through Seattle, deciding which relationships to nurture and which to break.

Seattle is frozen in time under a blanket of snow, waiting for a new leader to emerge. Phyre is weakened and in need of both allies and answers. The weakest soldiers on the street, the Courts, and even the Cops will present challenges for players to navigate, or maybe just straight-up punch in the mouth. Our more open areas present players with more of a choice in their approach to combat and we've taken great care in crafting slick traversal options that reinforce that. Can't wait to show you more!"

- The Chinese Room’s Junior Level Designer Jack Goddard

“In the last Dev Diary, I mentioned how we build our levels to support the game’s awesome traversal system. This time, I’d like to dive deeper into this and some other key considerations when designing levels for Bloodlines 2.

Traversal Mechanics
Let's start with traversal. When designing our spaces, we consider numerous factors to allow you to make the most of your Kindred abilities. Many of our environments would have been built for humans in Seattle, but you are a powerful Vampire, and our spaces need to support this. We have created multiple paths, some that are accessible by humans and some of which are only accessible through using your unique movements, enhancing both gameplay variety and immersion. However, using these vampiric abilities can risk breaking the Masquerade, so these paths are designed to be used discreetly, ensuring you remain hidden from prying human eyes.

Space Purpose
The purpose of each space greatly influences its design. Are you likely to be fighting enemies here? If so, the area will look and feel vastly different from one meant for exploration or storytelling. Combat zones are crafted to support various playstyles, from stealth to brawling, and we sometimes design areas to encourage a particular approach to keep gameplay dynamic.

Narrative and Exploration
For spaces focused on story and exploration, our approach shifts. Here, the goal is to provide opportunities for discovery and to guide you towards interesting moments organically. These environments are meant to contrast with combat-heavy areas, offering a slower pace. These spaces invite you to linger and delve deeper into the lore of our world.

Balancing the Experience
Finally, while each space is carefully crafted to fulfill its specific role, we also ensure a balanced mix throughout the game. The interplay between fast-paced action areas and more serene, narrative-rich environments keeps the gameplay experience fresh and engaging.

In summary, our level design philosophy revolves around maximizing the potential of your Vampire abilities, tailoring spaces to their intended purpose, and maintaining a balanced and engaging pace throughout the game. We can’t wait for you to experience the world we’ve built in Bloodlines 2.”

- The Chinese Room’s Level Designer Amy Lee​

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
For spaces focused on story and exploration, our approach shifts. Here, the goal is to provide opportunities for discovery and to guide you towards interesting moments organically. These environments are meant to contrast with combat-heavy areas, offering a slower pace. These spaces invite you to linger and delve deeper into the lore of our world.

So basically everything will feel predictable and scripted and result in poor replay value

Chinese Room are bums

Drowed

Arcane
I think the "worst CRPG of the decade" bracket is going to be really hard. I think we're going to have to apologize to Feargus Jewhart and acknowledge that Oblibion was actually a good game in retrospect.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Infinitroon said:
Rejection by those in power would mean certain befalling, and so Phyre must prove their worthiness to Seattle's elite.
I can already see that the game will have outstanding writing quality.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I've noticed something that all these diaries have in common: they never describe how they're trying to be a sequel to Troika's Bloodlines. Like, why is this even titled Bloodlines 2 if it has nothing in common with Bloodlines 2 besides loosely taking place in the same IP? They don't have any of Troika's vibes. No "you can tear off a man's arm and whack him to death with it," no "sexy club proprietress who dresses in fetish wear," no...

The teaser videos have all been boring and self-serious. BL1 did have self-serious characters, but it also had plenty of playful characters who made funny quips or bounced off self-serious characters. Therese was at her most interesting when she was playing off Jeanette and acting like an exasperated big sister, whereas LaCroix was characterized by the huge stick up his ass. The stylized art style definitely played a role (if you don't think the characters are deliberately stylized, then compare their models with other games of 2004 like Far Cry, Half-Life 2, or Grand Theft Auto San Andreas), but all the characters oozed personality. By contrast, the BL2 characters had been boring and interchangeable with the bazillion other boring characters we see in modern video games. The change in art style went from interesting stylized to plain hyper-realistic.

That might've worked for Bethesda with Fallout 3 since in 2008 the Fallout franchise was obscure, but Bloodlines achieved cult fame in the age of social media and that cult fame is the entire reason Paradox decided to buy the IP. As we've seen with IPs like Star Wars and Star Trek, making a product that doesn't appeal to the existing fans of a franchise won't work. Even if it is good on its own merits, like Andor, it still needs that connective tissue or it won't fly.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A news article titled "Chinese Room has closed its doors after 17 years" would be the best gift they can give to us.

I spit on them in advance.
Hm, Still Wakes the Deep reviewed well (by its players anyway, a lot of critics were underwhelmed), but its concurrent player count is worse than their other games (whose sales weren't enough to sustain them before). A couple of weeks ago Sumo Digital announced that they too had no choice but to lay off 15% of their work force. Final Death's definitely a possibility here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom