Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview A truly idiotic Fallout 3 article - read it your own risk

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com>The Escapist</a> has boldly joined the "Who's the biggest moron" competition with this <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/1279-E3-2007-Fallout-3>interesting article</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>War never changes, but Fallout has. This will undoubtedly upset a great many people. But it was inevitable.
<br>
<br>
It's been a decade since the original Fallout was released, and so much has changed about gaming, and games, that <font size=4><b>a new Fallout made like the originals would be largely unplayable, and deeply disappointing.</b></font size> And before you start saying "Van Buren" remember that that game, too, was made almost ten years ago. It would not be the same game today.
<br>
<br>
We asked Bethesda's Pete Hines what he thought about the departures his company has made from the original formula, and if they'd sought the input of any of the original developers.
<br>
<br>
For starters, fans of the original games need to know this: much of what you loved about Fallout is in there. The Pip-Boy has been faithfully updated, as has much of the character stat system, and the turn-based aiming mechanic.
<br>
<br>
Then look (the vault is surprisingly familiar), feel (guns, ammunition and violence all have the same "grit" as before) and humor (Mr. Handy calls you a stupid git behind your back) of the Fallout world has survived, been updated and made new. Although the new game is in 3D, and features a first-person perspective, <b>it's still Fallout</b>. It's the same world. It is new, but the same. I can't say this enough. Change, in this case is good. ...<b>it is, in fact, much like Oblivion meets Fallout</b>.
<br>
<br>
In Fallout, one always felt as if the world was what it was, and you would live or die without making much of a difference. War, after all, never changes. You could stomp out the bad guys if you wanted, but that would leave only a gaping hole, not rejuvenate the world.
<br>
<br>
I get the feeling from this demo that Bethesda's Fallout will feature much more quest feedback, and perhaps offer the chance to change, if not war, then perhaps a few lives.
<br>
<br>
After all, a lot of PC games from that era felt "isolated" merely because they were. The technology didn't yet exist to create living, breathing worlds. Bethesda's improved radiant A.I. and unparallel world-building expertise have combined to create a much more immersive experience, and while not exactly the Fallout you remember, is still Fallout.
<br>
<br>
The degree to which the Bethesda team remained faithful to the word of Fallout is staggering, as is the level of detail and ... there's no other word for it ... "love" put into the game.</blockquote>Unbe-fucking-lievable. That's all I have to say.
<br>
<br>

EliotW

Educated
Russ Pitts said:
And before you start saying "Van Buren" remember that that game, too, was made almost ten years ago.

Writing from the future eh?

In Fallout, one always felt as if the world was what it was, and you would live or die without making much of a difference

Consequences... that was actually one of the the strengths of F1 and F2.

EliotW

Educated
Brother None said:
...How is Van Buren 10 years ago?

I'd chalk it to not knowing much about Van Buren at all and instead diving off into the land of preconceived notions.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Made this post on NMA:

As a marketing piece the article is brilliant. It has everything.

It starts by explaining why Fallout 3 had to be changed. It mentions changes, but reminds throughout the article that it's still Fallout. It says that the original Fallout world was dead and static because of the technology limitations, and quickly explains how these two aspects will be improved by Bethesda - this time quests will have consequences! And NPCs will be truly alive! And then it ends with one last reminder - in case you missed it - that it's the most faithful Fallout game evar! Perhaps even more faithful than the original Fallout, which clearly sucked.

galsiah

Erudite
My personal favourite:
Set in 2072, two hundred years after a nuclear war devastated the Earth...
The future as envisaged in the 1850s. Damned prophetic when you think about it.

Amasius

Augur
Oh well. I lost all faith in The Escapist when they didn't even bothered to correct all the factual mistakes in their From Black Isle to Bethesda article. :roll:

Ladonna

Arcane
This game will now be made like it is being made. Nothing can change that. I have totally given up on the thing, but thanks for the laughs VD.

bryce77

Scholar
I actually respect Bethesda more than The Escapist now. Sure, bethesda is anally raping Fallout, but they're being mostly honest about it. They've mentioned before that if you're expecting Van Buren, this is not for you. But articles like the ones Escapist posts are just outright fabrications and manipulation.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
I love it how Pete tries to give himself Fallout-game-maker credibility:
We asked Bethesda's Pete Hines what he thought about the departures his company has made from the original formula, and if they'd sought the input of any of the original developers.
"At this point, I've worked on this game as long as anyone who's made any Fallout game," he replied.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
On one hand, the Escapist is a great magazine for its coverage of games and stories mainstream sites don't bother to do. However, they've went to some Fallout 3 demonstration and chugged the Kool-Aid.

Now, they see it as their job to reconcile Bethesda's "Oblivionization" of Fallout with the game's original design. The worst possible way to do that is calling the original game unplayable. Everyone here knows new technology and tighter design could make Fallout better. But the TB, 3rd person, and dialogue trees are great features no matter what the era.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Well the Escapist is all set for a distinguished career in prostitution. They've mastered the art of shamelessly lying (you're so big!) when delivering a sloppy public blowjob all the while remembering to strike an artificial pose.

Relayer71

Liturgist
Oblivion V: Fallout... it's the old Coke that used to be the new Coke but it's better than new NEW Coke but not as good as the original Coke.

I'll stick with Pepsi, thanks.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Re: A truly idiotic Fallout 3 article - read it your own ris

Forget Fallout 3 said:
It's been a decade since the original Fallout was released, and so much has changed about gaming, and games, that <font><b>a new Fallout made like the originals would be largely unplayable, and deeply disappointing.</b></font> And before you start saying "Van Buren" remember that that game, too, was made almost ten years ago. It would not be the same game today.

Obviously, most gamers will be pleased with the "updated" look and feel. 3D graphics, first person perspective, real-time action - yep, most people like that. The guys who prefer ISO/turn-based are a minority (like furries). Sensible business choice on Bethesda's site. However, claiming that something closer to the original Fallout games would be "unplayable, and deeply disappointing" as if that were some kind of universal truth is nonsense.

ou could stomp out the bad guys if you wanted, but that would leave only a gaping hole, not rejuvenate the world.

I get the feeling from this demo that Bethesda's Fallout will feature much more quest feedback, and perhaps offer the chance to change, if not war, then perhaps a few lives.
After all, a lot of PC games from that era felt "isolated" merely because they were. The technology didn't yet exist to create living, breathing worlds. Bethesda's improved radiant A.I. and unparallel world-building expertise have combined to create a much more immersive experience

Are there any facts that back this assumption? I have not bought Oblivion, but according to the voices here it seems that Oblivion does not feature a "living, breathing world" either.

Lingwe

Liturgist
Bethesda's improved radiant A.I. and unparallel world-building expertise have combined to create a much more immersive experience

Because watching someone standing around doing absolutely nothing but look at walls and have inane conversations about the Fighters Guild and mudcrabs for hours is far more immersive than watching someone stand around and do nothing at all.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Re: A truly idiotic Fallout 3 article - read it your own ris

Vault Dweller said:
a new Fallout made like the originals would be largely unplayable, and deeply disappointing.
That's even funnier considering I still play the original Fallout 1 and 2 and they play just fine, thanks. No disappointment there either.

hakuroshi

Augur
I wonder if level of stupidity will continue to rise? And it is more then one year to release...

NiM82

Prophet
VB 10 years old? - Shit their playing with the timeline! - We need to call 911 and ask for Timecop. Van Damme will sort the fuckers out.

What utter fucking bullshit. After their fringe cults article, I had hoped they would at least try and appear neutral - but it would appear they are yet another sellout. Hyping is one thing, but lying and distorting facts to make a point is another. Shame that weasel tag can't be perma stamped on their foreheads for the whole world to behold.

I assume their Starcraft 2 writeup will look like this: 'Omgz they havent changed the formula in liek 10 years, not FPP, dissapointing, unplayable!' - Yeah, right.

'Set in 2072, two hundred years after a nuclear war' - Take it he failed at math, is that why he became a 'writer'?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The real horror in this is that gaming journalism isn't that much worse that regular journalism. Think about that the next time you read the newspaper or watch the evening news....

Ladonna

Arcane
Good point. I didn't see the new CnC getting blasted for being basically the same game with new graphics.

The wonder of selective thinking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom