Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review 1UP torpedoes NWN2 - 5/10

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
More idiocy by you. Not surprising though.

NWN OC companions were NOT henchmen. They were Expert Hirelings. NWN2 OC 9as well as SOU, HOTU, BG, BG2, etc.) all have henchmen. If you don't know D&D terminology thanb you shoudln'tbe pkaying (or even making) D&D games. Both BIO, and Obsidian are stupid in this regard. Their fanboys who are brainwashed are even dumber.

"On the one hand, you say they were less one-dimensional - then you turn around and say they felt less real than those in NWN2."

Are you retarded? It's quite clearly those are two different thing. The NWN1 npcs are not as one dimensional as the NWN2 npcs. This is a fact. However, since they ahrdly spoke, and when theya ctually did it was just like 10 paragraphs at one time; they didn't truly speak as a 'real' person would. However, it doesn't take much to be less dimensional then, say, Quara who while I liekd her is very much the defintion of one dimensional. :roll:

franc kaos

Liturgist
Jaesun said:
So according to 1UP... Oblivion is a better RPG than NWN2?? :shock:
How about the freedom of movement of Oblivion with the gameplay of NWN2?

Well I finally picked a game - NWN2 over Gothic3, and - I fucking love it! I love the Baldurs Gate feel (sorry V), the companions, their back stories, the back to basics trying to figure what the hell is better - Cleaverx3 or AC5 (never played PnP and have glanced - quickly - thru the manual - as I did with Baldurs Gate). I'm playing a neutral rogue with a heart of gold who doesn't mind peering into the darkness. I love that fights can be won with my brain and not just my mouse, the quick mode that puts my character into stealth/trap finding, and even the RTwP seems to be working for me. But...

I can see where the original reviewer is coming from. When I saw screenshots for it, I thought it was a true 3D world for me to explore as and where I wished, but it feels like Fable (hangs head in shame - yep, played it for twenty some hours, so sue me, I liked the action and the way it played), invisible walls, small areas, completely (so far) linear path thru' the game world - got to the first fort and would be playing now but it crashed out on me as I was leaving. In fact, Half Life 2 did the linear thing better (imho), at least the walls were visible.

Oblivion had a large world mass that allowed the player to go where he wished, it may have been soulless with no character and gimped RPG mechanics, but I think people expect at least that much freedom in the 21st century. NWN2 has heart and soul but I did feel pissed when I couldn't simply wade thru the swamps to avoid a couple of monsters.

Oh, and hating the camera options, they feel retarded. What I want: First person perspective for exploration (they've got the follow mode for gods sake which doesn't give you much more of a viewpoint), and overhead for the battles. Sorry, but I like FPP - how hard would it be to implement?

Oh, and just to piss off the regulars, I wanted to bring Bev along with me, he was cute, and I wanted to play dress up doll with him, when are the clothes mods coming out? :)

But so far, a damn fine game...

suibhne

Erudite
Volourn said:
NWN OC companions were NOT henchmen. They were Expert Hirelings. NWN2 OC 9as well as SOU, HOTU, BG, BG2, etc.) all have henchmen. If you don't know D&D terminology thanb you shoudln'tbe pkaying (or even making) D&D games. Both BIO, and Obsidian are stupid in this regard. Their fanboys who are brainwashed are even dumber.

So you're defending Bioware's game design by saying they had no fucking clue what they were talking about? Gotcha.

"On the one hand, you say they were less one-dimensional - then you turn around and say they felt less real than those in NWN2."

Are you retarded? It's quite clearly those are two different thing. The NWN1 npcs are not as one dimensional as the NWN2 npcs. This is a fact. However, since they ahrdly spoke, and when theya ctually did it was just like 10 paragraphs at one time; they didn't truly speak as a 'real' person would. However, it doesn't take much to be less dimensional then, say, Quara who while I liekd her is very much the defintion of one dimensional. :roll:

Leaving aside the misplaced hostility from your latent father issues, I just want to clarify: you're suggesting that Qara is much more superficial but also much more real?

As far as I can tell, Qara is shallow - as is Neeshka and a few other NPCs. Do I wish they were more interesting? Absolutely. Still, suggesting that NWN henchmen were actually deeper characters is just mind-boggling.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"So you're defending Bioware's game design by saying they had no fucking clue what they were talking about? Gotcha."

You are stupid.

"As far as I can tell, Qara is shallow - as is Neeshka and a few other NPCs. Do I wish they were more interesting? Absolutely. Still, suggesting that NWN henchmen were actually deeper characters is just mind-boggling."

I said Qara was one dimensional comapred to the NWN1 npcs. If you actually paid attention to what the WN1 npcs; they were not shallow. The problem with the NWN1 npcs was not their perosnality or histroy; but *how* they were written. The npcs in NWN2 are much interactive. NWN1 npcs had lots to say; but the problem si they read it off the cue card like theyw ere reciting the dictionary; not actually speaking.

As Mr. Gaider pointed otu when peopelc ried that NWN1 npcs didn't have aenough. That wans't true. NWN1 npcs had about as much dialogue as BG2 npcs more or less. The problem was that it was all given in a robotic way hurting the connection between PC and NPC. That doesn't make them shallow.

Dumbass.

Bradylama

Arcane
One of the key parts of "character" is that it determines the way you act. If NWN1 NPCs never acted in a matter that fit their backstory, then I guess they had no characters. Even moreso considering they never acted.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Another dummy. Nowhere did I say that the NWN1 npcs were 'top of the line' characters. heck, npcs are the one thing that NWN2 no doubt did way better than NWN1 OC.

That still doesn't change the fact that, by and alrge, NWN2 npcs are more shallow and one dimensional than NWN1 npcs.

Period.

Bradylama

Arcane
If characters just say something that implies they're not one-dimensional, however, it doesn't mean that they aren't, since there's nothing about their behaviour that would suggest so.

NWN characters aren't just one-dimensional, they lack dimension. All they have is an interesting backstory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom