Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial 2011: The Year in Review

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah, okay, perhaps I overreacted. No need to wade in it dammit. You're making me look bad. I did react though, because I feel that Ulm and BN's comments where in extension of something seething beneath the surface of DU's otherwise excellent editorial, namely that we risk overstating the importance/weight of this place's propensity towards the fucked-up, because it sometimes overshadows everything else this place is as well. Which I kindda suspect DU's of doing because he, as admin, had to react when the psycho went into overdrive (as was the case in the case of Black Cat and Dicksmoker).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Wow that top 5 list is depressing as hell. Is that really what the codex voted? Jesus christ.

Yes. I recounted it 3 times. It was rather depressing seeing those results. Potato gonna potato. ;)

Well, now that CRPG discussion is RPG discussion you might as well change that policy.

The RPG Codex is a web-site devoted specifically to PC based role-playing games.

What part of that do you not get? It's not Rocket Science™ honey.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I already made my argument: What used to be CRPG discussion is now RPG discussion. Might as well go all the way and change the site address from crpgcodex.net to rpgcodex.net and widen the scope of the articles.

And because you were so nice:
What part of that didn't you get?

It's not Rocket Science, uh... fuzzbutt?

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Codex suffers from many problems, but there are three that stand out especially.
1. There are no RPGs being released. Then there is nothing to discuss or to talk about and this causes GD to have 2.5 times more discussions than GRPGD...
2. The self imposed prestigiousness. There are people here who still know what is good RPG, but these people are clearly a minority on the Dex as shit like DA and TW are being voted as top RPGs. Maybe it's time to change the whole monocle meme into fair RPG review site, to not lose the touch with reality? The amount of posters like Jack Burton and Guadahost is increasing exponentially. This does not surprise me as the popamole generation finds it's way to the codex, but I would seriously like to read fewer but quality posts from quality members rather than brain farts from. Maybe the size does not matter after all?
3. The doll house drama. There will always going to be posters who will share their personal tragedies with the Internet to attract attention or compassion. I would suggest making a special place on the Dex with counseling hot lines, contacts of doctors and etc. It is our responsibility to help them out of the RPG discussion forum.

Hopefully the time will solve 1 as there are quite a few RPGs being developed for 2012-2014 and that will solve few problems, but 2 and 3 is clearly the matter of moderation.

laclongquan

Arcane
Oooooh good one. Here, have a
10s88cy.png

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Yeah, okay, perhaps I overreacted. No need to wade in it dammit. You're making me look bad.
Wade, wade, wade :P

While I'll always maintain that everything I say or type should be taken with a grain of salt, perhaps my timing was p. shitty. We'd already butted heads a couple of times yesterday over silly nonsense in other sub-boards which really just made both of us look a littlre butthurterer than usual. My comment wasn't meant as harsh criticism of the many facebook enrichments (look, here I go with the hyperbole again!) you have brought to the site, but I can see how it could have been interpreted as such. ;)
Have a complimentary brofist to unruffle the feathers.

:bro:

circ

Arcane
Drakensang: River of Time: Dragon Age, but in boring.

Fixed that for you. Don't compare that piece of fail with Baldur's Gate, please.
Despite the combat engine not being to my taste, I'd rather spend the rest of my life playing RoT than ever see another screenshot of DA. And I'd call the groupmates better than in BG too, as they're not so obnoxiously stereotypical and goofy. Although I did like that loon who wanted to take over the world, and some weirdo halfling thief who wants sweets or something.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Great article. Amazed you only noticed the insanity now btw. Perhaps I've just been in GD for way too long but we've had plenty of insane people post here over the years. Remember the guy who posted pictures of his rotting teeth? That nazi dude who lives in a house filled with garbage and asked a tranny to shit on him? That comic dude who went manic and ran away? Lots of them were waved aways as trolls or pretended to be but if you follow the antics for long enough the cracks become wide enough to see that gaping maw of Fucking. Crazy. behind it. People who spend ages in places like this just tend to be somehow defective enough to do so instead of going outside. It's not because of rpg's or freedom of speech. It is because this is an internet forum and a safe way to communicate your crazy without everyone around you looking panicky and moving away.

Now excuse me while I go look at the pretty lights on the ceiling for a bit.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
DarkUnderlord said:
And it's fitting that some of the things that have happened in 2011 have made me realise that you're all fucking retarded. Completely. Fucking. Retarded.

DarkUnderlord said:
Because all of you are completely fucking nuts.

So it's been a fun few years in charge of the asylum. Happy tenth anniversary.

I'm just not sure I should even allow knives so that we can cut the cake because one of you is probably going to stab someone with it.

That's the spirit.

:love:

Corvinus

Arcane
A fine article, this.
I read the Codex a lot more than I post, and I like the site. Reasons include:
Where else can you find a majority who are openly critical to the so-called role-playing games of today?
Where else can you read excellent and humorous reviews of said games?
Where else can you read (and view) hilarious crazy shit without it being censored by squeamish moderators?
Where else can you post your opinions of matters, even if you are retarded beyond belief? ;)

No, really. I like the site, general discussion included, but if there is something I think the site lacks, it is a dedicated section to tabletop rpgs where people can post their campagins/chronicles/adventures and so on. Crpgs may be nice and shiny, but the best rpg is the tabletop one.:salute:

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Where else can you find a majority who are openly critical to the so-called role-playing games of today?
Everywhere. I'm sure the majority find modern cRPGs too long and overcomplicated.

Where else can you read (and view) hilarious crazy shit without it being censored by squeamish moderators?
Where else can you post your opinions of matters, even if you are retarded beyond belief? ;)
Sounds like BSN to me.

:troll:

No, really. I like the site, general discussion included, but if there is something I think the site lacks, it is a dedicated section to tabletop rpgs where people can post their campagins/chronicles/adventures and so on. Crpgs may be nice and shiny, but the best rpg is the tabletop one.:salute:
Good God and Jesus Christ Denton in the heavan, please fucking no. The only thing you'll get is a GD- like hellhole where sad, autistic people and kiddies exchange their fascinating experiences, like: why being the GM is a really sad business, or what they did with their awesome grimdark characters after rolling critical success 10 times in a row. Mixed with usual codexian attitude. And propably also with exhausting discussions how every single one PnP system sucks.
Better leave it for someother placethingawful.

Corvinus

Arcane
Good God and Jesus Christ Denton in the heavan, please no. The only thing you'll get is a GD- like hellhole where sad, autistic people post why being the GM is a really sad business, or what they did with their awesome grimdark characters after rolling critical success 10 times in a row. Mixed with usual codexian attitude. And propably also with exhausting discussions how every single one PnP system sucks.
Better leave it for some other place.

I don't see your point. What could possibly be wrong with that?:troll:

In other news, I forgot to mention the high quality Let's Plays that the deranged lunatics of this site churns out. Quality entertainment! A salute to these brave men and women!:salute:
Bonus: The Best thread ever is also the best thread ever. It causes me great pain. And it is a good pain.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Gold Box fans: BG1 >= BG2
BIS fans: BG2 >> BG1

What if I think they're both really boring and bland, only BG2 is less boring and bland? Definitely more of a Gold Box fan than a BIS fan, yet I couldn't stand BG1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom