Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Deus Ex III announced

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: Deus Ex: Human Revolution; Eidos Montreal

After revealing its existence in an <A HREF="http://pc.ign.com/articles/789/789321p1.html">interview</a> earlier this year, Eidos has finally announced the third part in the famous cyberpunk series. <A HREF="http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50058">Shacknews</a> reports:<blockquote>The game is currently at an extremely early stage. General studio manager Stephane D'Astous told Gamasutra that the team just received approval for the title's proof of concept. The team will be allotted up to two years for development, suggesting the game is targeted for holiday 2009 release.</blockquote>Warren Spector is supposed not to be involved, as he prefers making games for Disney now.
<br>

<br>
A teaser of the game is available <A HREF="http://www.eidosmontreal.com/en/games.html">here</a>, featuring - apart from the pathos which has been at the heart of the series since the original title - two signs labeled 'Augmented people enter from the back' and 'We do not welcome augmented people here'.
<br>

<br>
Also, check out the Eidos Montreal Studio Q&A at <A HREF="http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16365">GamaSutra</a>.
<br>

<br>

<br>
Thanks to: <strong>RK47</strong>, <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</a> and <strong>baby arm</strong>!

Morbus

Scholar
Yet another overhyped consolized first person shiter with shiny graphics and eye-blinding bloomzorz and immersion and shit... I don't believe for one second they will aim for a complex sophisticated shooter like the first deus ex. Not for one second.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Elwro said:
Warren Spector is supposed not to be involved, as he prefers making games for Disney now.

Why Warren? Why?!

Yet another overhyped consolized first person shiter with shiny graphics and eye-blinding bloomzorz and immersion and shit... I don't believe for one second they will aim for a complex sophisticated shooter like the first deus ex. Not for one second.

You're the optimistic type aren't you? :P

Andrej

Liturgist
I'd kill for another Deus Ex 1. Even the conspiracies were weak and stupid in Deus Ex 2, not to mention the gameplay.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Who knows....

I'll be carefully optimistic, too, until there are enough pieces of evidence to prove the opposite.

@Morbus:

How do you manage living with such an attitude towards all things? :)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is RPG news because...? Geez, Elwro.

What's next, "Halo 4 announced!"?

Elwro

Arcane
I don't want to get into this. Quite a few folks consider the first game to be an RPG; perhaps a smaller number of folks shares this view about the second game - and I'm not averse to the thought.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
I long for another Dues Ex 1, and yes, it was an RPG. It had as many choices and consequences as your average Bioware game, and those get discussed here :P

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Hah hah. Poor Warren Spector. He was once a well respected and revered figure in the gaming industry. Now he's a complete nobody, thanks to universal ammo and other assorted fuckups. :lol:

Noceur

Liturgist
Deus Ex 1 - XP, Skills, choice and consequence. (You can argue how good of an RPG it was though, certainly better than Oblivion in my opinion)

Deus Ex 2... erm, more of an action game with some choice and consequence.

Thanks for the news though (I'm cautiously optimistic), though I feel the chances of Deus Ex 3 being FP-RPG are rather slim. As for console-ification, at least we can expect less load times now that consoles have better hardware.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
So how many developers will be working on the game? According to D'Astous, teams will stay small and dev cycles will be lengthier. He stressed, "We’re only working on AAA, major titles. We’re going to be developing only major AAA games, using only next-gen technology."

Therefore, he continued, "We will want to limit our dev teams to a human-sized team of 80 people at the very highest of the peak in the production cycle. We don’t want to become a huge studio where there’s over 100 people on a title. We want a smaller, multi-discipline group that are tightly knit together. But by doing so, we will give them at least 18 to 24 months for the production cycle."

That sounds like good news to me; and who knows, maybe DE2 will make them overcompensate?

Noceur

Liturgist
Jeff Graw said:
So how many developers will be working on the game? According to D'Astous, teams will stay small and dev cycles will be lengthier. He stressed, "We’re only working on AAA, major titles. We’re going to be developing only major AAA games, using only next-gen technology."

Therefore, he continued, "We will want to limit our dev teams to a human-sized team of 80 people at the very highest of the peak in the production cycle. We don’t want to become a huge studio where there’s over 100 people on a title. We want a smaller, multi-discipline group that are tightly knit together. But by doing so, we will give them at least 18 to 24 months for the production cycle."

That sounds like good news to me; and who knows, maybe DE2 will make them overcompensate?

They also refer to Deus Ex as being successful (in the Q&A) while not mentioning Deus Ex 2 at all which might mean they "took the hint" so to speak.

Cassidy

Arcane
I think it would have much more potential if it was a prequel to Deus Ex 1 rather than another "In the year 22xx of generic nano-augmented space marines and covenants... Da Vinci code conspiracy". Maybe it should happen a few decades before instead, with mech-augmentation being the cutting edge of military technology and the NSF being a bunch of disorganized militia types called the Northwest Secessionist Forces and maybe also explaining what really provoked the South California disaster.

Also, Deus Ex 1 would have been a much more interesting game if the AI was less forgiving like it was in Thief 1 and stealth was the mandatory modus operandi like in Thief rather than "most recommended option" having the usually crappy combat in Deus Ex as alternative.

It had as many choices and consequences as your average Bioware game

But does an average Bioware game gives you the choice of being a coward or fighting an apparently impossible battle where the fate of the main character brother is the consequence and unaware players might not expect the consequences? I'm sure this is much more deep and morally ambiguous* than the "I'm evil, I want more money to do this quest!" stuff.

*Morally ambiguous because if JC helps his brother, he's risking himself dearly and as he is one of the most important and skilled "freedom fighters" around and potential "last hope", risking the freedom of mankind as well. On the other hand, his choice is to leave his brother in a fight he won't come out of alive.

Also, if not for those infamous time restraints, there were plans to implement dialog choices to allow the PC to avoid all combat and to remain loyal to UNATCO, and maybe they could have improved the AI too. Too bad such potential was wasted.

I've got no doubt they'll make Deus Ex: Bioshock. The days of SS2 and DE are far gone.

The idea of challenging FPSes seems to have been ditched by some companies, but there are still some who offer "very hard" options in their games. Not that I'm hopeful it'll be the case here. I miss the days gaming wasn't a mainstream activity.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
fastpunk said:
You're the optimistic type aren't you? :P

Taking into consideration the current state of the gaming industry, it's hard not to be pessimistic... The game will either turn out to be a worthy successor to the original DE or an utter failure. Tertium non datur.

Lurkar

Scholar
fastpunk said:
Damn, all this Deus Ex talk makes me want to reinstall it... and I think I will.

Of course. It's a rule. Every time Deus Ex is mentioned, someone, somewhere, has to reinstall it.

I am iffy at best over this. Quite frankly, I have zero faith in the industry to make something as good as Deus Ex again, and then you have all the regular doubts on top of that.

cuthbert

Novice
I don't get it, an entirely different development group is supposed fix the mistakes of the second game without any input from the original creators? Also I don't consider deus ex an rpg, more like a smart shooter with a open approach to accomplice tasks and further the game.

Nael

Arcane
Jasede said:
This is RPG news because...? Geez, Elwro.

What's next, "Halo 4 announced!"?

STFU, and admit the obvious:

DEIWRPGZ.jpg

:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom