Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

230/150 You are over-encumbered.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Dragon's Dogma did it nice. You were slowed down and got tired faster the higher weight threshold you carried, which could be increased if your character was big and ripped.

Black Angel

Arcane
Underrail's main themes are building a new future, letting go of the past and learning from mistakes.

If you avoid overencumbrance it means that the old world no longer weighs you down and you're ready to forge your own future (sacrifice charons in Forge or buy decorations for your home).

Howewer if you use cheat engine you prove that you're no better than Biocorp and Lemurians who were also both heavily reliant on their tech, and you're doomed to repeat their mistakes.

Learning from mistakes comes from constantly reloading/ completely rerolling your build and actually receiving experience from studying old world junk.

TLDR- where you see annoyances, I see meaningful mechanics that complement the game's main themes. Of course you need a high IQ to understand it.

PS: To similar minded individuals- I still don't quite understand the symbolism of locusts. Am I on the right track with the ancient Mesopotamian cult of fertility, or is it more in line with the role of locust in the Old Testament?
nice.png
Ok, boomer
nice.png

27233.jpg

Wait....

We need more wheelbarrows and trolleys in our games.
The Merchants Guild™ approve.

Falksi

Arcane
Inventory management should ultimately provoke a good choice, but not make gaming a chore. So if I'm in the middle of a dungeon, I don't want to be making the choice "right, do I drop X items or take Y item instead?" Especially as most games are dungeon>loot>sell. All it ultimately does is slow you down. What I want to be choosing is "Do I use X weapon or Y weapon for my mission", or "Do I take X potion or Y postion" on it.

Again, it all comes back to how much the devs can be arsed with anything.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Inventory management should ultimately provoke a good choice, but not make gaming a chore. So if I'm in the middle of a dungeon, I don't want to be making the choice "right, do I drop X items or take Y item instead?" Especially as most games are dungeon>loot>sell. All it ultimately does is slow you down. What I want to be choosing is "Do I use X weapon or Y weapon for my mission", or "Do I take X potion or Y postion" on it.

I've thought about this a lot. The idea of a "loadout" is kind of interesting. You can give the player unlimited inventory space, but only allow them to use a few items in any combat encounter or in any dungeon. It's hard to justify from an in-universe perspective unless you pretend that the party has an invisible wagon carrying around all their shit but they don't have access to it in fights.

Harthwain

Magister
Why not just loot the useful/valuable items? There's no need to haul around two dozen rusty daggers to sell for almost nothing.
This is true when you can discern which items are useful and which are not. So early on people tend to carry everything on them and it turns into a force of habit. This gets worse if you have a crafting system that you still have to learn about.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
It is quite annoying, if at character creation you know you have to waste some points to STR or the whole game becomes a painful experience.

Falksi

Arcane

I've thought about this a lot. The idea of a "loadout" is kind of interesting. You can give the player unlimited inventory space, but only allow them to use a few items in any combat encounter or in any dungeon. It's hard to justify from an in-universe perspective unless you pretend that the party has an invisible wagon carrying around all their shit but they don't have access to it in fights.

Aye, but there's always ways round it. E.g. you could "beam" in a weapon Centurions stylee......

hqdefault.jpg

Harthwain

Magister
Aye, but there's always ways round it. E.g. you could "beam" in a weapon Centurions stylee......

hqdefault.jpg
This is the gross voliation of the Codex's standards, Brother. Please follow proper armor protocol for combat deployment:
BD_Astartes.png

Reinhardt

Arcane
It is quite annoying, if at character creation you know you have to waste some points to STR or the whole game becomes a painful experience.
Points in STR is never wasted!
Why not just loot the useful/valuable items? There's no need to haul around two dozen rusty daggers to sell for almost nothing.
This is true when you can discern which items are useful and which are not. So early on people tend to carry everything on them and it turns into a force of habit. This gets worse if you have a crafting system that you still have to learn about.
What if you need this shit for quest later?

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Charisma... We have these attributes that we all know are pretty important in our daily lives and we expect them to make a huge difference in our games, yet there's no easy way to make them matter in a consistent way. If I make a strong character, I want his strength to do more than just hitting harder with a melee weapon, and I want that extra point in strength to make some difference in my mage or my gunslinger, just like I want 1 INT retards to not be able to be functional members of society. Because stats should matter.

Weight limits can be annoying, but until we find better ways to make Strength more useful in a consistent way, I support their stay. Because I don't want a 4 STR weakling to travel as comfortably as a 18 STR demigod, even if there's no combat to be had.

mondblut

Arcane
I fought hard for that loot, I deserve to keep it without tons of fucking inventory management busywork!

Daggerfall did it best by giving you a cart. There's no reason not to scavenge a daungeon for loot and pack it into a cart for sale after you done genociding the mooks inside

This.

Also, anyone who thinks that forcing upon a player the annoyance of having to make 10 trips to the shop and back is gonna "fix" the game economy is plain retarded.

V_K

Arcane
Also, anyone who thinks that forcing upon a player the annoyance of having to make 10 trips to the shop and back is gonna "fix" the game economy is plain retarded.
Depends on how long and how dangerous the way between the dungeon and the shop is, and whether encumbrance has additional effects. It worked quite well in Realms of Arkania.

thesecret1

Arcane
Weight limits are, more often than not, a patchwork solution to bad in-game economy. While in some games the encumberance mechanic actually adds something of value, in many it's simply there to prevent the player from picking everything that isn't nailed down, as he could then pawn it off and get ridiculous amounts of money. But encumberance doesn't really work there – the dedicated will just make multiple trips, while the rest will just be annoyed that they need to throw out cheap shit and swap it for the more expensive thing they just found, 50 times per dungeon. A better course would be to simply lower the amount of garbage that can be collected. Make the loot rare enough (and get rid of all the useless clutter that nobody picks up anyway), and you won't end up with the player becoming mega rich after one dungeon, nor will you need an encumberance mechanic. Of course, this can't be applied for every kind of game (players often demand being able to strip armor from the enemy etc.), which is why an alternative exists – just don't have the town merchants buy every piece of shit you collect. Oh, you got this leather armour, still bloody, from some thug? Not interested, get the fuck outta my store with that shit. Going to a clothing store with your old shirt and demanding they buy it from you wouldn't be met with success, after all. Make most of the loot be unsellable (let's say you could only sell jewels and different valuables, for example), so that the player can use it for crafting or bettering his own gear, but not accumulating money. Let the player carry 100 armours on him, if it makes happy – it won't be of any use to him, and most players will stop bothering with picking up literally everything after they realize that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom