Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Immortal NPCs and no child killing in Fallout 3

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 3

<a href="http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=856489">From the second fan interview</a>:
<br>
<blockquote><b>2) Are children and otherwise non essential or non-quest related NPC's vulnerable or invulnerable to accidental or purposeful (deadly) harm? And how about quest essential people? Please elaborate as much as you can, especially on why you choose to do it that way.</b>
<br>
<br>
You will not be able to be a child killer.</blockquote>
<br>
That's where I lost interest. You can read the rest if you want.
<br>
<blockquote>In regards to essential NPCs, it works like Oblivion, in that when they "die" they get knocked "unconscious" and get up a little while later. It worked well in Oblivion, so we kept that system, as you can still attack everyone that you want, and get at least a small benefit (being able to avoid them while they are down). I will say that the number of essential characters is minute compared to Oblivion and we've gone to pretty big lengths to cover a lot of people's deaths, but sometimes that's just not possible.</blockquote>
<br>
Okay, so I lied earlier. You'll remember they said the same thing about Oblivion too, with regard to keeping the numbers of immortals down (for the record, the game was full of them).
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">GameBanshee</a>

J1M

Arcane
I bet the NPCs won't remember I tried to murder them either. Oblivion with guns. Surprise, surprise.

Balor

Arcane
"sometimes it's not possible"? Oh yea, sometimes sigar is just a sigar too, but in their case, it's a huge brown dick!
You know what I mean.

Mareus

Magister
Todd said:
I will say that the number of essential characters is minute compared to Oblivion and we've gone to pretty big lengths to cover a lot of people's deaths, but sometimes that's just not possible.

Todd thinking to himself: "Damn! How did BI do it 10 years ago?!"

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
i hate bethseza waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Tails

Arbiter
What a nightmare...
It's a shame that Bethesda, responsible for Arena & Darkfall has changed in to company that makes most shitty over-hyped cRPGs ever.

Micmu

Magister
Tails said:
What a nightmare...
It's a shame that Bethesda, responsible for Arena & Darkfall has changed in to company that makes most shitty over-hyped cRPGs ever.
You mean Daggerfall - and it's not the same company like in pre-Zenimax times (same name, no previous developers). And they made quote some shit games, too.

WalterKinde

Scholar
So the prophecy is fulfilled and the gaming media has a case of amnesia, didn't they (Bethesda) say that Fallout 3, despite the predictions of those foolish rabid fallout fans, would not be Oblivion with guns?
Didn't major pc gaming sites list that ,Fallout 3 would NOT BE Oblivion with guns, as the rallying cry and put down the fallout community?
Now the game is revealed to be in fact Oblivion with Guns and they praise it for being that.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
WalterKinde said:
So the prophecy is fulfilled and the gaming media has a case of amnesia, didn't they (Bethesda) say that Fallout 3, despite the predictions of those foolish rabid fallout fans, would not be Oblivion with guns?
Didn't major pc gaming sites list that ,Fallout 3 would NOT BE Oblivion with guns, as the rallying cry and put down the fallout community?
Now the game is revealed to be in fact Oblivion with Guns and they praise it for being that.
Adbucks ftw.

This is actually going to be worse than my most dreadful expectations.

Mareus

Magister
Herbert West said:
HAIL MARTIN SEPTIM! THE IMMORTAL GOD EMPEROR OF MANKIND!

Well you could always get him stuck between the trees. Thats worse faith than death :lol:

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
How come Morrowind didn't have immortal NPCs, yet FO3/Oblivion do, and suddenly it's 'impossible' to have some NPCs non-immortal?

Tails

Arbiter
micmu said:
You mean Daggerfall - and it's not the same company like in pre-Zenimax times (same name, no previous developers). And they made quote some shit games, too.
Yeah I know that (Still Todd was in Bethesda when they work on Daggerfall) . The point was that current devs have put shame on Bethesda and now they doing same that with Fallout name...
Darth Roxor said:
How come Morrowind didn't have immortal NPCs, yet FO3/Oblivion do, and suddenly it's 'impossible' to have some NPCs non-immortal?
It's (de)evolution baby...

Mareus

Magister
Suchy said:
I don't care about child killing, but they fucked it up right in the ass and then mouth with those invulnerable NPCs...

From the other hand ghouls are actually ghouls.
http://fallout.bethsoft.com/images/art/ ... tonbar.jpg

Are you kidding me? This is Fallout! It's one of those small things that made Fallout special, because you could even kill children.

But anyway to be completely honest I don't give much of a crap about unkillable NPCs wether they are children or grownups, as long the game offers other things. Deus Ex had unkillable characters, but it was still pretty awsome game. Same goes for BG or some other classics. Unfortunately from what we have been seeing lately, an awsome game is not gonna happen with FO3.

Morbus

Scholar
Suchy said:
I don't care about child killing, but they fucked it up right in the ass and then mouth with those invulnerable NPCs...

From the other hand ghouls are actually ghouls.
http://fallout.bethsoft.com/images/art/ ... tonbar.jpg
The graphics are incredibly weak. I think that's the reason why they don't show anything about the game. Once people see it running they won't want to buy itjust because of the graphics, and if FOE has no graphics I don't know what it has... It. Will. Tank.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Hopefully it will tank. That might even show the developers thatl show that dumbing down isn't the way.

DarkSign

Erudite
I realize they Beth thinks they are saving the customer from their own stupidity, but ffs...all you have to do is restart the damn game. And you deserve to if you kill a damn quest-giver. It's called conse-fucking-quences.

Kids are smart enough to learn not to touch the stove after theyve done it a few times.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Suchy said:
I don't care about child killing

Child killing was great because it presented an interesting tactical snafu for players. If you're in the middle of a town having a gun fight with some bad guys and there's children running around, you had to actually be careful about where you were and what you were firing. It wasn't just about the "Hah! Watch me mow down all these kids so I can be EVIL!", it was about getting some bad guys dead in an area without turning the whole town against you.

Lothers

Scholar
So what? Modders will fix everything. I belive that "Real Fallout Mod with Chrysalis Higwayman, Killable Children, Not-So-Orky-Looking Supermutants, No-Mindless-Zombie Ghouls, Random Encounters & Missing Perks" is just a matter of time...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom