Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News CD Projekt announces Good Old Games

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: CD Projekt; Tom Ohle

Polish developer and publisher <a href=http://www.cdprojekt.com>CD Projekt</a> will be starting up a new online distribution service "<a href=http://www.gog.com/en/intro>Good Old Games</a>" for old PC games, with no DRM nor copy protection in a price range of $6-10.
<br>
<br>
For now, GOG is in beta stage. They offer classic games by Interplay and Codemasters, including Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics, and they hope to eventually expand its catalog to include titles from other publishers, such as EA and LucasArts.
<br>
<br>
Our old friend Tom Ohle, CD Projekt's VP of Marketing is working on this project and was <a href=http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=914>interviewed about it</a> by Shacknews.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43332">No Mutants Allowed</A>

Hory

Erudite
Feasible business idea. Nice web 2.0 site. Seems they got a big deal with Interplay so far. Too bad they aren't staying true to their manifesto. Lionheart isn't a Good Old Game; they're selling it because can. Hopefully they'll increase their standards as they manage to publish more games.

kazgar

Arcane
Looks like it could change the already murky legal status of a lot of 'abandonware' titles, a lot of them claim to be distributed because they're unavailable, if they're suddenly available, thats not a issue anymore.

But in a way this will be superior, if drm is repaired and the code is adjusted to work with xp/vista (wonder if its some sort of cut down game specific intergrated dosbox with each relase)

Sounds good!

Zhirzzh

Scholar
Hory said:
Feasible business idea. Nice web 2.0 site. Seems they got a big deal with Interplay so far. Too bad they aren't staying true to their manifesto. Lionheart isn't a Good Old Game; they're selling it because can. Hopefully they'll increase their standards as they manage to publish more games.

Barcelona was fun.

I'd honestly rather they put up everything they have, and let the customers decide what's good. The Codex has different tastes than the gaming critics after all.

WalterKinde

Scholar
How did they swing that?
I would have expected the powers that be to be demanding that all these old games get distributed via steam from 9.99 and above, use the steam drm in addition to a version of securom.
Well good for CD Projekt, Unfortunately i own Fallout 1,Fallout 2 and Giants Citizen Kabuto but the racing game looks interesting, plus these games won't require a new cpu an extra gig of ram or a new top of the line midrange or high end video card.
They could really make some money with this.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Interesting idea. Do the possibly want to try to get some of the old games, say series like Might and Magic,Wizardry, Eye of the Beholder, Ultima etc... to work on XP without DOSBox? That would be interesting.

Ryuken

Liturgist
Doing this right (and them working on compatibility and even providing extras) would fill a gaping hole in the market. The PC back catalogue is so immense it's astonishing that publishers themselves aren't properly looking after their old franchises.

Mareus

Magister
If they manage to gather a large number of great old titles this could turn to be a real library of classical games. Great news indeed and I hope it pays off for them.

Herbert West

Arbiter
Oh my, Fallout 1, Fallout 2, MDK, Freespace 2, Sacrifice, Giants.... I like all those games very much and they're right there, on the front page. Great idea!
About the compability:

Thanks to our handsome programming team, the classics are now Windows Vista and Windows XP compatible. Now you can use your lightning-fast PC to unleash the full potential of those games you just couldn’t play properly on that busted old 386.

Mareus

Magister
I am starting to love CD Projekt more and more. POLISH RULE! I just hope they start making some good old school games. The Witcher was a step in the right direction, and now this is another thing that should have been done even sooner. They seem to understand how to treat the fans. I am a CD Projekt fan from now on!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Hmm, most of these games were featured not a long time ago in special editions of "Gazeta Wyborcza" that contained classic game packs

nik2008ofs

Scholar
If they manage to make Planescape Torment available once more, I'll join the fanboy ranks and flame anyone that dares throw constructive criticism their way. And this is a great initiative even if they don't manage to get PS:T.

RandomLurker

Scholar
Hmm... Freespace 2? That is good, old AND a game, I guess, but wasn't it released as freeware some time ago, with the source code included?

Deleted member 7219

I'm hoping to see a big variety of games on sale... since I already own the Fallout games and I daresay so do most others here.

Lumpy

Arcane
We had something like this in Romania too. Got the Fallouts from there.

Texas Red

Whiner
Will they fix the damned map traveling speed with FO 2? On new computers it's so fast that you never get any encounters(a problem that wasn't present in FO 1). Every time I want to play FO 2 I have to do hell knows what tricks to get it running and with normal traveling speed.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Fantastic initiative for those willing to fill in gaps in their collection.
Keep up the good job, CD Projekt.

Dark Individual, have You tried using cpukiller (I never experienced such a problem as far as FO2 is concerned, but I am forced to use this particular piece of software while playing Commandos (for instance))?

Txiasaeia

Novice
Dark Individual said:
Will they fix the damned map traveling speed with FO 2? On new computers it's so fast that you never get any encounters(a problem that wasn't present in FO 1). Every time I want to play FO 2 I have to do hell knows what tricks to get it running and with normal traveling speed.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42776 Killap's got you covered.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom