Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info KotOR GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

<A href="http://www.lucasarts.com/products/swkotor/">Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic</a> has gone gold and will be on store shelves <b>November 18th</b>.
<br>
<br>
Now with even more <i>ph4t l3wt</i>.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <A href="http://www.gonegold.com">Gone Gold</a>
<br>

Sammael

Liturgist
It is hard to keep a straight face while reading Saint's post at the same time as seeing the Chips'n'Bits add for KOTOR running in the banner about 200 pixels above it.

Grifman

Liturgist
Volourn said:
It'll suck.

You guys crack me up. Really. It may be the XBox game of the year, I haven't seen a score less than a 9, PC previews are overwhelmingly positive, and the game is going to "suck". Yeah, keep believeing that, and maybe it will come true.

Grifman

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Being skeptical is different from being a biased ass pall

Ah I see, so you respond to the imminent arrival of this very anticipated game (One that many people allready have played and loved) with the great and intelligent remark of "Now with even more ph4t l3wt."
Yeah, I can't wait to read the review you're going to write.
Cya,

Trash

triCritical

Erudite
Grifman said:
Volourn said:
It'll suck.

You guys crack me up. Really. It may be the XBox game of the year, I haven't seen a score less than a 9, PC previews are overwhelmingly positive, and the game is going to "suck". Yeah, keep believeing that, and maybe it will come true.

Grifman

I am smart, that is why I don't like Bioware games. Did NWN have a review under 9, and that was game of the year too? Final Fantasy games also have good reviews and sell 3-5 million copies world wide. I am not a sheep...

I don't play games for the masses. I play intelligent games that can keep my ego entertained.

triCritical

Erudite
Re: Being skeptical is different from being a biased ass pal

Trash said:
Ah I see, so you respond to the imminent arrival of this very anticipated game (One that many people allready have played and loved) with the great and intelligent remark of "Now with even more ph4t l3wt."
Yeah, I can't wait to read the review you're going to write.
Cya,

Trash

From what I understand you can either follow the scripted dark campaign or the scripted light campaign. Wow a revolution in choice...

Also combat has taken the NWN cinematics to a new level. Less control, better queue, and more l33t animations. Who needs good combat when you can watch it, over and over again against weak combatants in a game, which once again concentrates on combat.

More linearity, less choices, and the same old Bioware formula. The fact that more and more people are liking this crap just leaves me to believe that CRPG'S DO SUCK!!!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
LOL Tri says he is smart. That's the most unitelligent thing he has said yet. Just like he believes that Time's Top 10 Game List is great. :roll:

P.S. KOTOR sucks.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
triCritical said:
I am smart, that is why I don't like Bioware games. Did NWN have a review under 9, and that was game of the year too? Final Fantasy games also have good reviews and sell 3-5 million copies world wide. I am not a sheep...

As a matter of fact, NWN had PLENTY of reviews below nine. You obviously need to surf more. KOTOR may not be revolutionary, but it's a damn fun game. I could care less if Bioware made it or not. The game is a blast to play. You don't wanna get it, well that's your decision to make. Simple as that. I own the Xbox version and will be laying my money down for the PC version as well. I'm not gonna let my dislike for Bioware stop me from playing a game as fun as KOTOR.

Voss

Erudite
OK. Now I can understand you like the game, but why buy it twice?
It seems like buying two books, or possibly more accurately a plain vanilla DVD and the special edition version of the same flick. Why do this? Why not simply enjoy the version you've got?

triCritical

Erudite
Re: Having an open minded aproach to life is fun. try it for

Trash said:
Been playing it? No? Nuff said.

I have not played it, but I do not need to eat at McDonald's to know they serve crappy food. Just like I did not need to buy WC3, to know it was going to be an extremely shallow strategy game, but I did and I was right. You know, I am usually right.

MISREPRESENTING Volourn said:
LOL Tri says he is smart. That's the most unitelligent thing he has said yet. Just like he believes that Time's Top 10 Game List is great. Rolling Eyes

I am so smart, that I remembered never to say that the Times top 10 list was great. Talk about a misquote. There is a difference between saying that one of the most effective conquerers of Europe since Napolean was worthy of being the most influential man of the year, and the Time's Top Ten list is da bomb. You are obviously not smart enough to handle what my cranium decides to dictate to my hands.

As a matter of fact, NWN had PLENTY of reviews below nine. You obviously need to surf more. KOTOR may not be revolutionary, but it's a damn fun game. I could care less if Bioware made it or not. The game is a blast to play. You don't wanna get it, well that's your decision to make. Simple as that. I own the Xbox version and will be laying my money down for the PC version as well. I'm not gonna let my dislike for Bioware stop me from playing a game as fun as KOTOR.

I guess I don't count the mom and pop sites. As for you thinking the game is fun, so be it. How hard is it for some people to realize that this is not the kind of game that some niche CRPG'ers, like myself will like. I like games, that offer a plethora of control during combat. From what I understand there is less control during combat then any previous Bioware game, a huge minus for myself. I don't like story driven games, I don't like linearity. I mean its really not my kind of game, and if all the sites in the world gave it 1,000,000 stars out of 5 it still would not be my kind of game. But I will go further then that and claim that a CRPG that does not adhere to my strict doctrine of rules, is not a well made CRPG. Hence, no Bioware CRPG developed by the same Bioware developers that continue to ignore my doctrine could ever make a good CRPG.

As for fun, Blizzard games as well as Bioware games in general are not very fun for me, so although you might find it fun I do not. Fun is relative, what is fun for me is a combat oriented game that emphasizes combat. A game that claims to have multiple paths to actually be non-linear. A game that does not dictate the characters action through the plot, but the other way around, and yes it can and has been done. These are fun for me, and I have yet to see a Blizzard, or Bioware game achieve any of these qualifications. So until then I can pretty much say with confidence that I will not enjoy any future Bioware products including KotOR.

BTW, my blatant statement claiming KotOR sucked was just trolling. :shock:

BTW, BTW, I think Blizzard CRPG's have 10x better combat then Bioware games.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Voss said:
OK. Now I can understand you like the game, but why buy it twice?
It seems like buying two books, or possibly more accurately a plain vanilla DVD and the special edition version of the same flick. Why do this? Why not simply enjoy the version you've got?

Because I can sell my Xbox copy and keep the PC copy which will eventually get cracked and allow for mods from the modding community. Anytime I can have a PC version over a console version, I will choose the PC version. Besides, patches are a wonderful thing. :)

EEVIAC

Erudite
Bioware have actually said that there will be lots of new items that weren't in the XBox version, so how does the original post's "Now with even more ph4t l3wt," constitute as bias?

If it had said "Now with even more cock-sucking fans," then there would have been some bias. Maybe it should have...

Seven

Erudite
Of course SP's opinion is biased. Even he'll admit to that. Does this mean he'll give it a piss poor review, probably not, but he will probably be biased. Every one's got a bias yuo know, it just so happens that most sites lean towards BIO.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite

triCritical said:
I guess I don't count the mom and pop sites. As for you thinking the game is fun, so be it. How hard is it for some people to realize that this is not the kind of game that some niche CRPG'ers, like myself will like. I like games, that offer a plethora of control during combat. From what I understand there is less control during combat then any previous Bioware game, a huge minus for myself. I don't like story driven games, I don't like linearity. I mean its really not my kind of game, and if all the sites in the world gave it 1,000,000 stars out of 5 it still would not be my kind of game. But I will go further then that and claim that a CRPG that does not adhere to my strict doctrine of rules, is not a well made CRPG. Hence, no Bioware CRPG developed by the same Bioware developers that continue to ignore my doctrine could ever make a good CRPG.

You obviously have a shallow mind when it comes to reviewing all aspects of a game. You claim you're so smart, yet you don't even realize that KoTOR offers lots of control during combat. It's all a matter of personal choice. It even states this in the tons of reviews I have read out there. And the mom and pop sites are usually the best since they aren't getting their pockets lined by the companies themselves and also tend to have subjective people who give subjective reviews.

You are obviously set in your ways about what you will like and not like. No big deal. I did not state in any form that your feelings on this matter were wrong. They are your feelings though, not everyone elses. I loved the game. It was a nice change from the usual Bioware crap. You don't have to like it. I am not here to make you like it. I am here to give my experiences and opinions on the game. Everyone in this world is different and will like different things. That's a fact of life and any other way would be just plain out and out boring.

Anyways, that's enough for me. I think the game is fun. I really like the game alot. But, even if I was the only person on the planet who liked the game, it still would not stop me from voicing my opinions in hopes someone might overcome their biasness and give the game a try.

triCritical

Erudite

Otaku_Hanzo said:
You obviously have a shallow mind when it comes to reviewing all aspects of a game.

Actually I think I am the open minded person. I put gameplay and ambience above all else. Most people seem to reflect on story and graphics, which IMO are not the driving forces behind games.

You claim you're so smart, yet you don't even realize that KoTOR offers lots of control during combat. It's all a matter of personal choice.

OK smarty pants, tell me how KotOR offers more combat control then the previous Bioware games, MDK2 excluded? If you have a queue, or you click once and watch then nothings changed. If you it has spiffy movie like animations which move your character on a tactical combat map against your will, then Bioware still doesn't have a clue.

See the problem with Bioware games is that they had a successful game with a CRPG that played like a RTS game. I think this led Bioware to believe that good CRPG that the combat should be a macro-level function for the player only giving general orders then actually tactically going through the motions. A good CRPG that focuses on micro level combat should not have a combat interface which is mechanically more similar to WarCraft then it is to Fallout.

But this is your chance to prove me wrong. If you can prove to me that combat is more then this, then I will go to compusa and play it on their demo XBOX, and if you are right, I will no longer bash KotOR saving my harsh words for NWN.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite

triCritical said:
Actually I think I am the open minded person. I put gameplay and ambience above all else. Most people seem to reflect on story and graphics, which IMO are not the driving forces behind games.

Oh that's lush. So you would rather have a game that was fun, but made no sense at all because it didn't have a plot to it? I'll give you the graphics part. Those are never important to me as well. But story is definitely up there with gameplay and has a huge impact on ambience. I play games to have fun, yes, but I also play them to get totally immersed in some story. And that adds to the ambience in more ways than good graphics can anyday.

triCritical said:
OK smarty pants, tell me how KotOR offers more combat control then the previous Bioware games, MDK2 excluded? If you have a queue, or you click once and watch then nothings changed. If you it has spiffy movie like animations which move your character on a tactical combat map against your will, then Bioware still doesn't have a clue.

Smarty pants. Hehe. :P

Well, the thing is, the way combat in KOTOR works is pretty simplified to start. But as you progress and learn more skills and eventually force powers, you have alot more strategy at your disposal in what you want to do. Granted, yes, you can just let it play itself out. But, that's only if you are using a soldier character and put the right points into your stats as well as choose the right abilities when you level. Now, let's say you are playing a scout, or a rogue. Then you have to be more careful during combat. Plus, playing a straight soldier is the most linear way through the game since you don't really get alot of chances to persuade people or manipulate things to go differently. You're just a grunt out to save the galaxy. :roll:

The best way to describe the combat in KOTOR is to think Baldur's Gate. You can make it real time or you can have it pause at the end of every round and play it that way. There is a queue that you can use, but to be honest, I never used it. Even with turn based, I do find myself going real time for the more simple battles. It's all up to the individual player how he wants to do things.

I'm not claiming it to be the most indepth combat system ever, but I find it alot more strategic than NWN and a hell of alot funner than the crap combat in Morrowind. I recommend you try out the demo anyway just to see for yourself. I have no idea what the demo entails, but I would hope it would at least give you access to some of the later powers and abilities so you can test them out for yourself.

Also, as a side note, even if playing a straight soldier, the later battles in the game require alot of thinking and planning. Go in guns blazing and your gonna find yourself wishing you had saved recently. :P

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Seven9 said:
Of course SP's opinion is biased. Even he'll admit to that. Does this mean he'll give it a piss poor review, probably not, but he will probably be biased. Every one's got a bias yuo know, it just so happens that most sites lean towards BIO.

If I review it, i.e. if I play it at all, I typically write what I like and don't like about the game. Even if I like a game a hell of a lot, there's always things in a game I'm not haooy with so I point those out. The opposite is also true.

But really, I'm not a big fan of Star Wars, and I don't really like BioWare's CRPGs. Now if it were a CRPG based on Stargate, I'd probably check it out just because I think that'd be a neat setting for a CRPG - regardless of who made it.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
If I review it, i.e. if I play it at all, I typically write what I like and don't like about the game. Even if I like a game a hell of a lot, there's always things in a game I'm not haooy with so I point those out. The opposite is also true.

That's how a reviewer should be. It's not how alot of them are though. I do love KOTOR, but were I to review it, I would not give it a 9 out of 10. Maybe a 7 1/2 or possibly 8. Mainly because you have to look at all aspects of a game when reviewing, not just the sales figures or the developer's name. KoTOR has it's problems, but they are forgivable compared to the fun gameplay. BUT, even though it is not linear in the sense that you are doomed to follow the same footsteps everytime you play the game, it is linear in the sense that there are really only two endings and you have only two paths you can follow to get those endings. You can stray from the paths and zigzag as much as you want through the game, but the destination is always the same.

I just like trying out all the dialogue options to see the results. The game still surprises me from time to time. :)

And, while I do like Star Wars, I really only liked Episodes IV and V. Empire Strikes Back is one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time in my opinion. Episodes I and II, I didn't care for much. Just hyped up eye-candy, really.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom