Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Oblivion better than Fallout 3, better RPG than FPS

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout 3

According to Xbox World 360 Magazine (spinning around in circles?), <a href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=201157&site=xbw">Oblivion is better than Fallout 3</a>. Here's why:
<br>
<blockquote>This month office discussions, rants and indeed bare-knuckle fights have centred around Fallout 3 (well, until Gears 2 and Fable 2 dropped through the letterbox). Why? Because despite how darn amazing it is, we just can't shake the feeling that... whisper it... spiritual prequel Oblivion may still be the better title of the two. Shocked? Well, maybe not. Because living up to 2006's Game of the Year was always going to be a near-impossible task.
<br>
<br>
<b>Questing</b>: A much more compelling story than Oblivion's snore-inducing Daedra plotline initially gives Fallout 3 the edge, but despite twenty hours of wandering the Capital Wastelands we failed to find anything that ever quite matched the lofty standards set by the final few Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood escapades. Worse still, without any real alternatives to Oblivion's guild quests it's hard to shake the feeling of an opportunity missed.
<br>
<br>
Winner: Oblivion</blockquote>
<br>
Yes. Meanwhile, <a href="http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20081105/BLOG24/811059990">HeraldNet call Fallout 3 a better RPG than FPS</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Third – and this has been driving me absolutely up a tree… I mean gnashing of teeth frustrated – is the fact that while I can see the irradiated wasteland as far as the eye can see, the game only rendered a mob when it is practically on top of you. “But Justin, you must be playing this on a Commodore 64! Lrn2upgradenubkkthx!” Not so much, actually. I have a high-end PC with dual-SLI graphics cards and can run Crysis at max setting just fine – yet mobs in Fallout 3 do not materialize until they are five to 10 yards away from me. Sure, they can shoot at me from much farther away, and I see this hail of bullets coming at me and I don’t even know where it’s coming from.
<br>
<br>
Overly harsh critique? Maybe. I would argue that Fallout 3 is an RPG first and a FPS second. But it seems to me lately that my experience with FPS games lately has been lacking. Even FarCry 2 – which was supposed to be a transcendent FPS experience – was lacking when it came to enemy AI, making the game slightly comical.
<br>
<br>
Fallout 3 is a great RPG, and I’ll recommend this game to anyone who asks. I just wish it was a better FPS.</blockquote>
<br>
Uhuh. Finally, <a href="http://www.examiner.com/x-1025-New-York-Multiplayer-Gaming-Examiner~y2008m10d28-Fallout-3-from-A-to-Z">Examiner.net do the A - Z of Fallout 3</a>:
<br>
<blockquote><b>J is for Jacket</b>
<br>
<br>
The image of Mel Gibson in his black leather jacket riding down the highways of the Armageddon is almost synonymous with the post-apocalyptic setting. A similar jacket could be found in both Fallout 1 and 2, though I’ve yet to see it pop up in play through Fallout 3. That’s not to say that other armor pieces are distinctive though. Fallout uses a single body slot for a full outfit of equipment, and while this definitely lacks the complexity of previous Bethesda efforts like the Elder Scrolls series, it does allow for polished and purposeful costume aesthetics. On top of the body slot, there’s a head slot where you can wear hats and helmets and hoods, and a face slot for glasses and goggles and the like. Most (though not all) wearable items give some skill or stat bonus (a 1940s style fedora granting a plus to sneak and perception, a lab coat giving a plus to medicine, etc) presumably because in Fallout the clothes really do make the man.</blockquote>
<br>
All righty. PC users can also <a href="http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads/patches.html">download the latest patch</a> (once you get through the pick an age and country mini-games on the website) which fixes a few crashing problems.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">GameBanshee</a>

DraQ

Arcane
Re: Oblivion better than Fallout 3

a 1940s style fedora granting a plus to sneak and perception
facepalm.gif

Sieg Fail.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
JarlFrank said:
Oblivion better than Fallout 3? Seriously?
Holy shit how rearded must those poeple be.

Yes, Oblivion IS better than Fallout 3, though both games sucks anyway.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Re: Oblivion better than Fallout 3

DarkUnderlord said:
All righty. PC users can also <a href="http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads/patches.html">download the latest patch</a> (once you get through the pick an age and country mini-games on the website) which fixes a few crashing problems.

Well, at leas they've fixed something on their own. As it is, The game commonly Blue Screens me when I shut it down.

DraQ

Arcane
How severe is this "clothes give + to stats" thing? Is this really as retarded as described? With clothes often giving +1 or +2 to primary stats?

I took an IQ hit for merely reading about the thing.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
DraQ said:
How severe is this "clothes give + to stats" thing? Is this really as retarded as described? With clothes often giving +1 or +2 to primary stats?

See for yourself.
Wasteland Wanderer Outfit: +1 AG, +1 EN

Balor

Arcane
DraQ said:

Sometimes as large as +10 to skills, and +1 to stats at the same time.
And there are items that give +1 to two stats. They are common.
BoS Power armor is, in fact, quite useless - because it's fucking heavy, str gain does NOT compensate the extra weight unless you mod the game, you have penaly to of 2 dex when you wear it, you have to have Power armor traning perk (which is a good idea, provided it was worth it), and it's stats are quite mediocre.

Compare that to Ranger combat armor you get thru a quest: Same DR, it's lighter therefore STR bonus is unneeded (and weapons dont have STR reqs anymore), but it gives +10 to small arms skill, +1 to luck, and +5 to AP.

The quest, btw, is more annoying then challenging: you have to fight to the roof of a building where a company of 'good' mercs is stuck fighting the supermutants.
I nearly fell asleep during the slaughter that insued.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Balor said:
Compare that to Ranger combat armor you get thru a quest: Same DR, it's lighter therefore STR bonus is unneeded (and weapons dont have STR reqs anymore), but it gives +10 to small arms skill, +1 to luck, and +5 to AP.

How does the weight compare to the standard Combat Armor (25 pounds)? If it's lighter I might need to go and find it.

Black

Arcane
So T-51b has been nerfed to a full plate mail? Noice!

DraQ

Arcane
Ok, ok. I might give some leeway to headgear that gives +PE - they are all various hats that shade wearer's eyes from the sun, so there might be some method in this madness. Similarily I can (reluctantly) accept some charisma modifiers on headgear.
But AG or IN modifiers?
WTF?
*facepalm*
*headdesk*
*wallbang*

Also, T-51b without power assist? What hopeless moron could conceive that?

Balor

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
I have T-51b Power Armah. DR is 50, rad resistance of 45, and no penalties (or bonuses). It's pretty hefty, and no strength bonus, so I'll look into the ranger armour.
Well, DR of Ranger armor is 39. BoS power armor (with penaties/bonuses) have a DR of 40 - hence, "on par".
Also, shouldn't T-51b have 25 rad res? Not that it's relevant, because radiation is quite harmless in the game - especially after you'll buy 'your first infirmatory' that instantly heals you, restores all limbs and removes rads in one go. Fucking cheat.

Balor

Arcane
DraQ said:
Ok, ok. I might give some leeway to headgear that gives +PE - they are all various hats that shade wearer's eyes from the sun, so there might be some method in this madness. Similarily I can (reluctantly) accept some charisma modifiers on headgear.
But AG or IN modifiers?
WTF?
*facepalm*
*headdesk*
*wallbang*

Also, T-51b without power assist? What hopeless moron could conceive that?

It's not 'IN', its 'EN' - Endurance. Still stupid, of course, if a bit less so.
Eagerly awaiting a mod that will remove all this shit along with bobbleheads, of course.

And about it being 'unpowered' - well, it might be recalibrated not to give more power, but to be more 'reactive' (hence no STR, but no AGI penalty).
On the other hand, what's wrong with Fallout 3 style Power Armor, with +3 to STR, no Agi penalty and great resists? Especially since you cannot get it fast due to perk reqs?

Btw, I read that T-51b armor is unique and cannot be repaired with 'usual' power armor, hence you will eventailly be stuck with repaining it at the vendors.

DraQ

Arcane
Balor said:
It's not 'IN', its 'EN' - Endurance. Still stupid, of course, if a bit less so.
+IN is also in:
FailOut Wiki said:
Button's Wig
+5 Barter, -1 PE, +1 IN, +10 Speech

And about it being 'unpowered' - well, it might be recalibrated not to give more power, but to be more 'reactive' (hence no STR, but no AGI penalty).
It should at least nullify it's own weight when worn.

dagorkan

Arbiter
DraQ said:
The smarter thing (and I hope it will be modded) would be giving -1 PER for walking around in the wasteland in the middle of day and negating that penalty with the hat (which my character has worn half the game, btw - other hats give better DR but none make much of a difference, 3 less DR to a body area is worth +1PER).

Regarding armor, anybody used the Power Armor? I found some but can't wear it, got a message about needing training but I also don't know if my strength would be sufficient (STR4).

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
dagorkan said:
DraQ said:
Regarding armor, anybody used the Power Armor? I found some but can't wear it, got a message about needing training but I also don't know if my strength would be sufficient (STR4).

You need to follow main quest and at the end you'll be able to wear this.

NiM82

Prophet
On a related note about the T51 does anyone know if that Mr Crowley geezer reappears if you give him the keys? I gave him the keys, as I needed cash -- didn't know at the time know that they were for getting it. After I gave him the keys he fucked off to go get it. I assumed he'd return with it so I could gank him, but he hasn't as yet (a few ingame days have passed) :(

a 1940s style fedora granting a plus to sneak and perception

It's OTT in F3, but it's worth noting Fallout 2 had such crap too. I distinctly remember one of the bodyguards in New Reno having some mirror shades that when equipped gave you +1 Charisma. So I guess the fail began there in that respect.

Balor

Arcane
NiM82 said:
It's OTT in F3, but it's worth noting Fallout 2 had such crap too. I distinctly remember one of the bodyguards in New Reno having some mirror shades that when equipped gave you +1 Charisma. So I guess the fail began there in that respect.

Well, there is a world of difference between some 'cool-looking' shades giving +1 to charisma, and a wig that gives +1 to Int.

DraQ

Arcane
dagorkan said:
The smarter thing (and I hope it will be modded) would be giving -1 PER for walking around in the wasteland in the middle of day and negating that penalty with the hat
I didn't say it was smart, I said there was a tiny bit of logic there. Of course that negating the penalty with the hat would be smarter - the hat doesn't help you at all when there is no sun to shine in your eyes.

Balor said:
Well, there is a world of difference between some 'cool-looking' shades giving +1 to charisma, and a wig that gives +1 to Int.

NiM82

Prophet
Balor said:
NiM82 said:

No there isn't, the whole concept is abject fail. That the wig (or whatever) is stupider is moot. Basic attire (i.e. not power armor) shouldn't affect your stats. I mean if wearing cool looking shades is going to give you +1 Ch, surely wearing some bad ass looking T51 should give you over 9000 Ch for looking cool & intimidating, rite?

Balor

Arcane
Well, your apparel should affect reaction you get from others, that's for sure.
Of course, the "stupid" thing about '+1 cha' shades that, unlike in Arcanum, there is no separate stat 'beauty' that determines your initial reaction from NPCs. Charisma in Fallouts was a "Combination of appearance and charm", means Be and Cha was rolled into one.
Therefore, there is NOTHING stupid about stylish clothing adding to Cha. And, perhaps, wearing T51 SHOULd be adding to your Cha, 'rite'.
Or, better, making charaters behave very differently around you. (I remember it was in some cases, but certainly not everywhere).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom