Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview PC users won't be getting Witcher DLC

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Witcher, The

GameBanshee <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/thewitcherrotww1.php">have an interview with CD Projekt's Tom Ohle and Mateusz Kanik</a> about The Witcher: Super Enhanced Console Edition. Here are some quotes because I love to rub it in:
<br>
<blockquote>We’d always wanted to bring The Witcher to consoles, but only if we could make sure it was really good and could stand up to the best RPGs on those platforms.
<br>
<br>
Combat in the console version will be more immersive, arcade-like and faster due to the greater responsiveness of the controls and a truly rich blend of controllable actions, moves and blows. This change toward arcade visuals in no way means we're abandoning the RPG mechanics, and character development will remain essential. In general, however, players' manual abilities will more strongly affect the outcome of fights.
<br>
<br>
Many of the models and much of the vegetation will be rebuilt from scratch to improve the quality of visuals on the consoles. Console systems differ greatly from PC systems and we've been forced to approach game assets differently. Added to that, we revamped the combat system almost entirely and so had to record a vast number of new mo-cap animations to reflect the more direct control in combat.
<br>
<br>
In addition to having enhanced AI, opponents (as well as Geralt, as I stated above) will be able to use many more combinations of movements, actions and blows during combat. They'll make lunging attacks at Geralt, evade his blows, parry them and even riposte. Especially at higher difficulty levels, combat will require players to show tactical wit, using the entire range of available combat elements.
<br>
<br>
Yes, that's certain – DLC will be available for both Xbox 360 and PS3, although we're not revealing what that content will be. We’re not currently planning to bring the DLC to the PC game… as with all of the changes we’re making to the console games, they’re being built with the new engine in mind. To move that content back to the PC-game engine would take a ton of work and would probably have a big impact on the future titles we have in development.
<br>
<br>
I don’t think it’s fair to say that we’ll start focusing on console development. Granted, the companies you mentioned could have made this same claim, but we got our start on the PC and we’re still fully committed to the platform.</blockquote>
<br>
Apparently they love PCs and are fully committed to them... Just not enough to give you the better version of the game with its improved quality visuals, "more immersive" combat, enhanced AI, more and better animations, new content...
<br>
<br>
They leave promising to love PCs even more though by saying "there's a good chance that one or both of those [other projects] will help to quell PC gamers’ fears".
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Brother None</b>!

Curois

Novice
Yes, that's certain – DLC will be available for both Xbox 360 and PS3, although we're not revealing what that content will be. We’re not currently planning to bring the DLC to the PC game… as with all of the changes we’re making to the console games, they’re being built with the new engine in mind. To move that content back to the PC-game engine would take a ton of work and would probably have a big impact on the future titles we have in development.

Ah but that is a problem easily solved. They just port the engine enhancements such as the new vegitation (soil erosion anyone?) back to the PC and include the DLC with it in an all new "The Witcher: SuperUltraPr0n Enhanced Version" for the PC, to be released next Chanouka.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I am so glad I've put off buying this game so far. Will get it for xbox when it comes out. This port is starting to sound pretty awesome.

Arcanoix

Scholar
GH: Will the game be only released for the PC, or are other platforms being considered? If so, which one/s?

Michal: We decided to concentrate our efforts on the creation of a PC version of the game mostly on account of the fact that, as PC entertainment software publishers we believe that the market for such productions still has great potential. Moreover, learning from the lessons of some of our competitors, the dichotomy of creating a game title for two platforms usually ends in failure. Take the simple issue of control, for example. The conversion of just that one element from the PC to a console platform would cause insurmountable problems, as “The Witcher” was created with mainly mouse gameplay in mind, and hence would most certainly literally kill the game. This would explain our decision to channel all our efforts to a thorough PC production, in place of splitting our resources to the creation of mediocre titles for a number of platforms. This does not mean, however, that we would rule out console games with the Witcher in their title in the future.

http://www.driverheaven.net/gamingrevie ... heWitcher/

So it's not EXACTLY the same game if it has superficial modifications made to it. All this new and enchanced mediocrity for the price of (predicting) $59.99. Given the fact that CDP:R is due to go public either this year or next year, I'm predicting total liquidation and acquisition of it's assets/staff members within the next year - two years max.

My tolerance for 'corporate' game developers has reached it's end. I will not be spending anymore money on "The Witcher". That includes the updates, super-special-enhanced console edition(s)* and of course the sequel - because sequels tend to suck anyway. To make me consider buying "The Witcher" CDP:R would have to include a sex minigame involving a threesome with both Shani and Triss - ejaculatory scenes included in all their HD-1080p/2160i/OVER9000TRUHDOMFG glory.....preferably with Wii-mote compatibility.

*Predicting atleast ONE re-release of the console edition with enha--, err, 'updates'.

-B.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Take notes, kids. CDP is textbook for "how to start a game company from scratch"

1. Find a niche (choice and consequence gamers)
2. Expand said niche (choice and consequence gamers without high-end PCs)
3. ???
4. Profit!

Aventurine (Darkfall) is also getting it right. While every other MMO dev is making EQ/WoW clones, they silently slip in a UO clone.

The Ticktockman

Scholar
I think its funny people are getting upset that CDP doesn't continue to give PC gamers more free things. Looks like being nice to us in the first place has us greedy for more.

Seriously DU, try harder; it's funny.

mahdi

Liturgist
Jaime Lannister said:
Take notes, kids. CDP is textbook for "how to start a game company from scratch"

1. Find a niche (Polish cunts)
2. Expand said niche (Polilsh cunts without high-end PCs)
3. ???
4. Profit!

Fixed.

Arcanoix

Scholar
The Ticktockman said:
I think its funny people are getting upset that CDP doesn't continue to give PC gamers more free things. Looks like being nice to us in the first place has us greedy for more.

So we give them our cash after hearing that we - as PC gamers - are their priority - their single target audience - not the console crowd, yet now that they've gone public and started making money we're not the focus - because obviously our money isn't "enough" for them. Who is greedy now?

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
"So we give them our cash after hearing that we - as PC gamers - are their priority - their single target audience - not the console crowd, yet now that they've gone public and started making money we're not the focus - because obviously our money isn't "enough" for them. Who is greedy now?"

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I want developers to make games just for me!!!!!!!!!!

BAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I want developers to make games that don't need significant patches 12 months later to correct them.

I want developers to release patches as patches ("sorry we fucked up, here's a fix"), not flog them as "Enhanced Editions" and try to score a second round of reviews for their patch while they talk about how awesome they are.

I want developers to let us know they're planning on making a superior version of a game I've already paid for so that I know not to buy the shitty version and instead wait for the decent version.

Observers should also note how the fanbois that were crying ".. but they're doing it FOR FREE!" have all suddenly changed tune. I guess PC gamers just don't deserve the better version... You know, of the game they paid for and funded. I guess we just have to buy the fixed version all over again after-all.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"So we give them our cash after hearing that we - as PC gamers - are their priority - their single target audience - not the console crowd, yet now that they've gone public and started making money we're not the focus - because obviously our money isn't "enough" for them. Who is greedy now"

HAHA! You sound like the xbox fanboys who whined about ME and JE being ported to PC with improvements. HAHA!

xbox fanboys = PC fanboys

Both groups are pieces of whiny SOZZES.

L0L0L0L0L0LLIP0P

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
DarkUnderlord said:
I want developers to make games that don't need significant patches 12 months later to correct them.

I want developers to release patches as patches ("sorry we fucked up, here's a fix"), not flog them as "Enhanced Editions" and try to score a second round of reviews for their patch while they talk about how awesome they are.

I want developers to let us know they're planning on making a superior version of a game I've already paid for so that I know not to buy the shitty version and instead wait for the decent version.

Observers should also note how the fanbois that were crying ".. but they're doing it FOR FREE!" have all suddenly changed tune. I guess PC gamers just don't deserve the better version... You know, of the game they paid for and funded. I guess we just have to buy the fixed version all over again after-all.
:lol: DU is cute in his own way.

Silellak

Cipher
Really, all that matters to me is this:

I paid $50 for the game. Do I feel I got what I paid for? Yup.

Do I care that a supposedly-superior console version is coming out 2 years later? No, not really. Considering they had a job listing up asking for a PS3 developer for over a year, it's not really a surprise to anyone who has been paying any attention. I bought the game because I wanted to play it right away based on solid feedback I got from gamer friends of mine. Even if I knew about the 360 port coming in 2 years for $10 more, I still would've bought the PC version. I'm just not that patient, nor am I convinced the console version won't be a bit dumbed-down.

I am curious what the DLC will amount to, and whether or not it will equal the PC version's free DLC in the form of a toolset and two addition side-modules. Either way, I highly doubt I will buy the game again - if the changes are significant enough, I might rent it, but that's it. I feel I already got my money's worth and don't need to see the same story told a third time. Just like I might buy a 2007 model of a certain car, and yeah, the 2009 model might have a few more features, but I already got what I paid for and I'm not going to bitch because the 2009 model is a bit better for about the same price. After all, I like what I have - and there's a chance there will be something I DON'T like about the 2009 model, even if it's technically "better".

All of that said, I do find it hilarious that CDP is basically becoming "the company that releases the same game over and over and over." Let me know when they announce the details of a game that ISN'T just The Witcher With New Shit.

hakuroshi

Augur
TW was quite playable after the second (or third?) patch already. It was fun but one-time kind of fun, so any enhanced editions are of no interest for me. They may do as they please for what I care.
Let's wait and see what they'll do with a sequel.

Arcanoix

Scholar
Arcanoix said:
"So we give them our cash after hearing that we - as PC gamers - are their priority - their single target audience - not the console crowd, yet now that they've gone public and started making money we're not the focus - because obviously our money isn't "enough" for them. Who is greedy now?"

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I want developers to make games just for me!!!!!!!!!!

BAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

No, I want developers to make games that aren't shitty. You know, back when developers/publishers could mutually agree that a modest budget was all that was required, none of these fancy 'graphix', but rather more 'story' and 'plot development', 'choice and consequence', 'replay value' - none of this EDIT : motion capture, shaders, reflections, sunset bloom, etc. horseshit.

Arcanoix

Scholar
Volourn said:
"So we give them our cash after hearing that we - as PC gamers - are their priority - their single target audience - not the console crowd, yet now that they've gone public and started making money we're not the focus - because obviously our money isn't "enough" for them. Who is greedy now"

HAHA! You sound like the xbox fanboys who whined about ME and JE being ported to PC with improvements. HAHA!

xbox fanboys = PC fanboys

Both groups are pieces of whiny SOZZES.

L0L0L0L0L0LLIP0P

Congratulations on reaching 11,000 posts, Dumbfu-- err, Pretty Princess. Don't you think it's time you actually went out and had sex for once in your life?

EDIT: And yes Volly, I'm bashing you because you dared compare me to the same consoletards that I utterly despise. The consoletards are to me what sex is to you - completely two different things that will never co-exist.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Uh, The Witcher has story, plot development, C&C, replay value, shaders, reflections, and motion capture.

PC users getting mad at a console port is like straight couples raging about gay marriage.

Turok

Erudite
But people, seriusly what you expect from a interview?? you want then say "we are just making the same pc game to the console" or "we are just making a version of the game with a new combat system that sux", anyone remember the "hype" ??? if you want sell you need make it look nice to the audience (bicheda)

Also there are 2 more projects right now on cdproject, and is sure that 1 is for pc. Posible a second part of witcher or another tale based on the novels of sakoski (dont remember the name of the autor or is the president of france) :D

Yea my english sux, but what do you expect from me if i learn english playing crpgs...

PS: i just make another account, i cant remember what email i use for my old account here.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Arcanoix said:
No, I want developers to make games that aren't shitty. You know, back when developers/publishers could mutually agree that a modest budget was all that was required, none of these fancy 'graphix', but rather more 'story' and 'plot development', 'choice and consequence', 'replay value' - none of this EDIT : motion capture, shaders, reflections, sunset bloom, etc. horseshit.
Yeah, I wouldn't really criticise The Witcher for its story and RPG aspects. Okay, the sex cards are lameness on an epic scale but I wouldn't fault The Witcher for its plot so much. Just the fact I've noticed sweet fuck all little difference between normal vs Enhanced Edition (a few extra lines of dialogue don't really sell me when the main point is still the same) and now find out the better version of the game is still coming out later anyway. Why couldn't they get this stuff right the first time?

Better yet, why can't they put these improvements in a decent expansion pack and make something worth buying rather than just re-releasing the same god-damned game again? There are only so many times you can play a sex-crazed Polish dude. Though I do find it odd that for all their talk about how much they love PCs and PC gaming isn't dead, they turn around and give the best version of the game to consoles. I guess that's love for you.

Turok said:
But people, seriusly what you expect from a interview?? you want then say "we are just making the same pc game to the console" or "we are just making a version of the game with a new combat system that sux", anyone remember the "hype" ??? if you want sell you need make it look nice to the audience (bicheda)
So what you're really saying is that CD Projekt over-hype their game just like any other developer. If so, then at what point do we get to treat them like we do any other developer? When do they no longer "deserve our support" for releasing buggy games on day one and hyping them to death? Then hyping the fact they released a patch?

Turok said:
PS: i just make another account, i cant remember what email i use for my old account here.
If you want your old account, PM me the username and I'll look into it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Congratulations on reaching 11,000 posts, Dumbfu-- err, Pretty Princess. Don't you think it's time you actually went out and had sex for once in your life?"

Post counts are irrlevant. Why do you worry about it so much?

"EDIT: And yes Volly, I'm bashing you because you dared compare me to the same consoletards that I utterly despise. The consoletards are to me what sex is to you - completely two different things that will never co-exist."

Hey, if the comparison fits the truth hurts. Right!?!

As for your fixation on my sex life, more power to you.

Phil Istine

Novice
DarkUnderlord said:
Though I do find it odd that for all their talk about how much they love PCs and PC gaming isn't dead, they turn around and give the best version of the game to consoles. I guess that's love for you.

They don't wuv u? Awwwww...

Such blind, preemptive, cynicism.

What the fuck are you gloating about anyway, keeping the PC and console versions separate is the only way to avoid teh dreaded consolization.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom