Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Discworld overhypes KOTOR

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

<a href=http://www.thediscworld.co.uk>Discworld</a> posted full of hype and bullshit <a href=http://www.thediscworld.co.uk/knights.htm>review</a> of <a href=http://www.bioware.com/games/knights_old_republic>KOTOR</a> giving it <b>95%</b> and saying stupid things like:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Ultimately, Bioware have given us not only the best RPG experience there is, but also one of the gaming highlights of the last 5 years and definitely the best Star Wars game since the mid 90’s</blockquote>
<br>
Wow, is it any wonder that Bio continues to make interactive adventure games when everyone praises them like that?
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>If you choose the right feats as you gain more experience you can use special skills such as Sniper and Rapid Fire to take out your enemies from a distance or you can make use of various swords and blades and take on the enemy with Melee skills. As well as all this you can activate shields, throw grenades and even use medipacs as and when you see fit. Obviously, the combat isn’t as cut and thrust as that found in Jedi Academy yet in many ways <u>the fact that you can sit back and watch the combat play out makes it more satisfying when your tactics are pulled off successfully.</u> </blockquote>
<br>
Tactics? What tactics? Oh, you mean, kill this guy, then kill that guy, then kill… and so on till everybody’s dead?
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gengamers.com">GenGamers</A>

dipdipdip

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Ultimately, Bioware have given us not only the best RPG experience there is

Yes, with its staggering lack of detail, small scope, and with decisions devoid of consequence, I too find this to be true.

Why is the world so quick to forget Ultima, Fallout, etc.?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Perhaps they forget because all sites like RPGCodex is cover BIO games. Perhaps, if RPGCodex stops covering the awful non rpgs created by BIO things would change due to RPGCodex's influence, power, and genius as we all know the power of RPGCodex is why a game likeFOT bombed. Hmm... Perhaps.. I find the irony amusing when people here whine about how hyped up BIO's games are elsewhere yet a good portion of the discussions and postings are BIOcentric. Hmm..

triCritical

Erudite
Volourn said:
Perhaps they forget because all sites like RPGCodex is cover BIO games. Perhaps, if RPGCodex stops covering the awful non rpgs created by BIO things would change due to RPGCodex's influence, power, and genius as we all know the power of RPGCodex is why a game likeFOT bombed. Hmm... Perhaps.. I find the irony amusing when people here whine about how hyped up BIO's games are elsewhere yet a good portion of the discussions and postings are BIOcentric. Hmm..

The produced the only big budget CRPG's in the western hemisphere in 2003 for PC's. Hence, they are the ones that are going to have the most news associated with them. Therefore, the news section is going to have more news regarding the Bioware games. And lets not forget how fun it is to abuse the nerdy kid who gets good grades.

Simple logical deductions is all I ask here.

BTW, I think FOT was helped by the FO fan, which helped it get pretty impressive initial sales that even called for a sequel. However, when word of mouth got around that the hype had died, due to festering bugs and poor design and execution sales whithered away. So your wrong their too.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Volourn incase you haven't noticed, both Saint and I happen to like KOTOR though we admit that it has its share of problems, it's a lot better than anything they've ever made before.

And in case you've forgotten, I played BG and BG2 a lot. I wouldn't have done that if I hated those games. Bioware just really dissapointed me with NWN which looks unpolished and feels more like a mod than actual product.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Exitium, I'm not saying everyone hates every single BIO game equally. Obviouslly, there' a bit of genralizing there; but I'm referring to the overall mood of BIO sucks and all the other sites are overhyping/advertising their games yet that's exactly what RPGCodex does with all these news items. I mean, as mentioned before, 99% of the reviews are overwhelmingly positive and basicall read them all.

As for NWN OC feeling like a mod; well..., that kinda makes sense since it WAS a mod. That was the whole point of it. Remember, contrary to popular belief, I didn't think NWN OC was god's gift to role-plays. Then again, I'm considered a NWN fanboy despite rating it 75% which is maybe 5% higher than I'd rate TOEE if it wasn't for its bugginess. And, KOTOR is good; but it's not as good as either BG, HOTU chapter 2+3, or NWN's entire package.

Tri, you missed the point. I was pointing out how "powerful" RPGCodex is and used the ultimate failure of FOT to ilustratre that sicne all the time I hear people bragging how it was their influence that stopped people from buying it even after the initial pre orders yet for someone no matter how much RPGCodex complains they cna't stop the BIO Juggernault.

Vault Dweller

Developer
RPG Codex covers RPG related news and discuss them. It's my understanding that we cover anything that is being billed as an RPG regardless of who thinks what. Logically speaking if the Codex were to cover only true RPGs we'd talking about 1 or 2 games a year

NWN wasn't a just a mod just like WC3 OC was not just another campaign. There is clear difference between official product that took years (not all 5 of course) to make and some fan made mods that usually take no more then 2-3 months to make. Not to mention, Bio hyped the OC comparing it to Fallout, calling it "an epic tale of war and plague, betrayal and justice".

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
RPG Codex covers RPG related news and discuss them. It's my understanding that we cover anything that is being billed as an RPG regardless of who thinks what.

*ahem*

::points to so-called console RPGs:: :lol:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
VD, that description you grave DOES fit the OC. War, plague, betrayl, and justice fit the epicness of the OC. Thanks for proving their point.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
You could call some Warcraft 3 map mods 'epic' too if you went by that.

Sorry, but that doesn't hold a candle to logic.

Vault Dweller

Developer
The key words were epic tale which NWN wasn't. Common, Volourn, 90% of games are about war, justice, and betrayal. How do YOU rate the OC? Forget about the toolset and compare it even to other Bio games, apple to apple.

Rosh

Erudite
Volourn said:
Tri, you missed the point. I was pointing out how "powerful" RPGCodex is and used the ultimate failure of FOT to ilustratre that sicne all the time I hear people bragging how it was their influence that stopped people from buying it even after the initial pre orders yet for someone no matter how much RPGCodex complains they cna't stop the BIO Juggernault.

Clueless, much? Yes, the paddleboats of your mind are certainly devoid of Japanese deckhands. :P

Seriously, this site wasn't around when FOT bombed, that was because of V13, NMA, and to an extent, DAC. It was mainly due because of the Fallout fans. DAC seemed to be a bit more favorable towards the game at the time it was at GameSpy, but after that all bets were off.

As long as media whore sites like GameBanshee, GameSpy/IGN, etc. and now Discworld, are all around, then it only hurts the gaming industry as hype is the coin of the realm to them. The better they pander, they hope to get exclusives; this shows that both the media has little integrity in being whores for news instead of being fiercely investigative, and the industry needs to knock down the treating of developers as celebrities or at least do something other than sacrifice integrity for "Interplay lurve", as GameBanshee even proved they like to bend over and take it like a vixen for Titus the Fox, too*. On top of all that, it doesn't help that many of these hype sites don't have any clue how the industry works.

* - I tried to be as respectful of them as possible, but the idea of their clueless selves being violated by a French fursuiter was far too comical. :twisted:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Rosh, when I state RPGCodex in that context; I meant the "FO Fanatics" who claimed they are the reason why FOT bombed. Seriously, if the FO role-playing community is so influential; why is it no matter how much you guys bash BIO; they continue to be successful. I guess RPGCodex (and its sister sites) are as influential in what the main gaming community decides to buy or not. Remember, my point is basically that everyone complains about the other sites hyping BIO's "trashy' games yet in in an ironic way that's exactly what happens here.

VD, how silly you ask me how I'd rate the NWN OC consideirng I hgave my rating in this thread. LMAO Read or skim is your way? :oops: :wink:

I rate it around 75%. BG1&BG2 along with the FO series are the only two games 'd ever rate in the 90% (for totally different reasons). I'd rate KOTOR in the early 80%'s. In contrast, I'd rate TOEE around 70% if it wasn't for its bugginess as all and all it is basically as good as NWN OC is depending what one is looking for however the bugs ruined the experience for. I'd rate Arcanum around 85% or so. To me, while the NWN OC is nothing speical; but compared to most other games; it's definitely better than most of 'em.

Exitium, nope. I wouldn't call Warcraft maps anything as I don't play the game. Going by at least one definition of epic in the dictionary; NWN OC is very much epic. You ca't get more logical as far as humans can be than by going by a dictionary. Geez.. I've ahd this discussion before and the definition(s) of epic was posted. One of the definitions definitely fits the OC, and the other one can as well sinc eit's based on one's opinion on how great something is.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
VD, how silly you ask me how I'd rate the NWN OC consideirng I hgave my rating in this thread. LMAO Read or skim is your way? :oops: :wink:
lol, sorry I have a huge headache after the party, and I didn't get much sleep, I can focus only on a few lines of text and immediately forget what I read earlier. So yeah, you did rate it, so good for you. Now if I can remember what my point was...? Oh well, you win by default :lol: You successfully rated NWN!!!! :D

Going by at least one definition of epic in the dictionary; NWN OC is very much epic. You ca't get more logical as far as humans can be than by going by a dictionary. Geez.. I've ahd this discussion before and the definition(s) of epic was posted. One of the definitions definitely fits the OC, and the other one can as well sinc eit's based on one's opinion on how great something is.
What definition is that? I got "extending beyond the usual or ordinary especially in size or scope" and that definitely aint NWN. And now if you'll excuse me I have a date with Tylenol

Volourn

Pretty Princess
The OC is definitely longer then the usual game is not? It takes 40-60 hours to complete while most games tend to be eaisly shorter than. As for scope; well; it is about an ancient civilization trying to come back. That surely isn't a common occurance.. of course; it's more usual tin D&D of course. Heh. remember, none of this equates eitehr way how *good* the OC. the problem some people have with this is they automatically assume *epic* = *good* which is only true in one of the definitions of the word. Whether the OC is epic or not doesn't neccessarily have to do with its (lack of) quality).

I win by default? Ow.. All I did was pick a number.. Heh.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
It takes 4060 hours to complete

:shock: OMFG!

It took me about 4030 hours less to complete it, and I am a slow gamer (no, not slow as in dumb, at least I hope not, slow as in it takes me a lot of time to get through a game).

Sorry, I can't help it sometimes :lol:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Rosh said:
As long as media whore sites like GameBanshee, GameSpy/IGN, etc. and now Discworld, are all around, then it only hurts the gaming industry as hype is the coin of the realm to them. The better they pander, they hope to get exclusives; this shows that both the media has little integrity in being whores for news instead of being fiercely investigative, and the industry needs to knock down the treating of developers as celebrities or at least do something other than sacrifice integrity for "Interplay lurve", as GameBanshee even proved they like to bend over and take it like a vixen for Titus the Fox, too*. On top of all that, it doesn't help that many of these hype sites don't have any clue how the industry works.

* - I tried to be as respectful of them as possible, but the idea of their clueless selves being violated by a French fursuiter was far too comical. :twisted:

I still find it funny that sites like GameBanshee think they have integrity even though they are pandering to IPLY and the game which is the reason Fallout 3 was cancelled - yet they claim to be a CRPG site.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
The OC isd efinitely longer then the usual game is not? It takes 4060 hours to complete while most games tend to be eaisly shorter than.

I knew it. I found out why Vollie likes NWN so much. He got the real game; all of us got the demo!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
The OC isd efinitely longer then the usual game is not? It takes 4060 hours to complete while most games tend to be eaisly shorter than.
Yeah, let's praise games for not sucking completely. Common, 40 hours is a norm not an achievment, although I'd say it's more like 25-30.

As for scope; well; it is about an ancient civilization trying to come back. That surely isn't a common occurance..
:shock: half of the games that I played was about stopping something evil from coming back, besides, a short description of a story doesn't make a game epic, it's all the things combined. Arcanum was epic, because it sure as hell went way beyond all the other games. NWN wasn't even close. I hate when gaming sites use words like revolutionary, epic, new standard, etc describing every other game. Then we have a new generation of people who think that if a game has a story and you can play longer then a couple of hours, then it's gotta be epic.

Whether the OC is epic or not doesn't neccessarily have to do with its (lack of) quality)
Agree

I win by default? Ow.. All I did was pick a number.. Heh.
It was in the spirit of Christmas and all that :lol:

Jed

Cipher
Volourn said:
VD, that description you grave DOES fit the OC. War, plague, betrayl, and justice fit the epicness of the OC. Thanks for proving their point.
Also fits KotOR quite aptly.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Haha. Perhaps my best typo yet. I, obviously, menat 40-60 hours; not 4060 hours. Hehe. :lol:

VD, how is Arcanum really more "epic" than NWN OC. Remember, I actually like Arcanum more; but they both are epic going directly by the definition of the word.
Christmas spirit. Bleh to that. I'm not stating NWN is "epic" strictly due to its duration; but because of the subjects it covers. Whether it covers them well is a whole 'nother issue.

RP, I wish any game would actually last that long. Heh.

X: Yes, yes it does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom