Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Bearing False Witness in Dragon Age

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

PC Gamer, which unfortunately appears to be the only PC gaming magazine left in the U.S., scored the first hands-on preview for BioWare's <b><a href="http://dragonage.bioware.com/" target="blank">Dragon Age: Origins</a></b>. There's no online article to link to, but <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/gamebanshee-news-73/dragon-age-origins-magazine-preview-106261.html" target="blank">GameBanshee posted some excerpts</a> from the 8 page preview.
<br>
<blockquote>I click through a few screens of dialog to get the details - the citizen has written a controversial screed about one of the paragons, the living legends elected by the dwarven council who are meant to be revered by all. Indicting a paragon could be a serious offense.
<br>
The historian shoots back: "Not liking history doesn't make it any less true." And then I'm faced with a choice: Preserve his right to publish, or protect the name of the noble's paragon and his house? Not fond of censorship, I pick the most extreme option before me: order Gorim to have the noble assassinated. Gorim nods, darts off, and returns a moment later. "Word has been sent. He won't live past the hour." I cackle. In my mind, I twirl the curls of my massive beard. Less than 10 minutes in, I've ordered someone completely innocent (albeit annoying) to his death. Could more amoral decisions await? I can only hope.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
<i>Thanks to Kharn for the tip.</i>

MetalCraze

Arcane
Nice to see that extreme(tm) options are still there.
Also what a choice! Too bad it won't have any consequences, just like the other ones - in the best of Bioware traditions.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
What? A high-rank dwarven official has defenses so sloppy that a murder can be planned and executed in an hour? Besides, why doesn't anyone ask you to, I dunno, pay for the hit? Life sure is cheap in the world of Dragon Age.

denizsi

Arcane
The party double-crossing the PC is nice as well, but also sounds gimmicky, along with ordering a hit.

Also, I hope/wish there will be some other dynamics that could affect whether your assassination order will be a complete success (killed, your involvement is unknown), half-success (killed, your involvement is known), failure (not killed, your involvement is unknown) or a total failure (not killed, your involvement is known), or even being tricked (not killed, and your involvement is known but you're led to think he was killed and you're well covered), and with long-term consequences, though that's a bit too much wishful thinking.

wrathofdog

Scholar
Did they not say "dark" or "mature" or "gritty" even once during this article? I won't buy a game that isn't dark or mature or gritty.

Also, the only backstory human characters can have is noble? This makes me upset.

Tigranes

Arcane
If there isn't, denizsi, that means DA's assassination will be even less fleshed out than... Total War.

The most dialogue BioWare has ever put in a game, along with a replayable entry point for the vastest narrative the studio has ever produced.

"There's a very strong element of kicking ass, like: Hey, there are things over there with red circles - they will die," says Laidlaw, playfully.

What the fuck? Where do they find people that talk like this? It's like they got Dan Tudge & Company from Disneyland.

That aside, the info doesnt look bad. The hit seems to be so easy only because it's a set-up.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tigranes said:
"There's a very strong element of kicking ass, like: Hey, there are things over there with red circles - they will die," says Laidlaw, playfully.

What the fuck? Where do they find people that talk like this? It's like they got Dan Tudge & Company from Disneyland.

What's wrong with that statement?
Not professional enough for you?

Monocause

Arcane
I'll remain cautiously optimistic about DA. Whenever I see such a preview I start out excited but quickly remind myself of how Oblivion was hyped by the devs and in the previews. Anyone remembers that fight description? With blocks, elaborate combat moves, a crowd of spectators? The one some idiot later attributed to devs' "poetic licence"?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Also, the only backstory human characters can have is noble?"

I presume the magi is the second human backstory.

Rhalle

Magister
Glad to see this, finally.

My suspicions about WoW-ness and the incoming massive DLC boondoggle confirmed.

Why no area creator in the 'toolset'? DLC, of course.

New race or class to play? $19.99

Fuck EA.

Oh, and fuck EA.

Volourn said:
I presume the magi is the second human backstory.

The mage origin is either human or elf.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
SAtill counts as a second human backstory. Once again, elves get their dicks sucked. They get 3 background choices, and humans and dwarves each get two. Fuckin' bullshit.

Second time through, I'll play an elf who decides to slaughter all elves she meets until finally ending the entire race by stabbing herself in the babymaker.

Fuck elves no matter what world we meet them in - and I mean that in both meanings of the word 'fuck'.

DiverNB

Liturgist
Volourn said:
SAtill counts as a second human backstory. Once again, elves get their dicks sucked. They get 3 background choices, and humans and dwarves each get two. Fuckin' bullshit.

Second time through, I'll play an elf who decides to slaughter all elves she meets until finally ending the entire race by stabbing herself in the babymaker.

Fuck elves no matter what world we meet them in - and I mean that in both meanings of the word 'fuck'.

Before or after they are dead?

This is important.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Volourn said:

You should have made an NWN module about that.

Vibalist

Arcane
Hümmelgümpf said:
What? A high-rank dwarven official has defenses so sloppy that a murder can be planned and executed in an hour? Besides, why doesn't anyone ask you to, I dunno, pay for the hit? Life sure is cheap in the world of Dragon Age.

This also stood out to me as being really, really stupid. Too stupid for Bioware even, so hopefully there is a good explanation for it.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Volourn said:

If you actually think that's possible, considering BioWare's latest streak of limiting who you can attack and when, you're way, way off. This ain't Brillianthesda we're talking about.

Warden

Arbiter
Most of the lore of this dragon stage consists of shitting upon the FR setting (literally) - like; there's no proof of divinity in DA because that's SO stupid*. In DA atheism doesn't exist because that's stupid as well. David G. keeps shittalking about the FR settings yet can't grasp how shallow and silly their own DA world is.

* I mean.. OMG - why would you worship a god that is actually proven to exist, who will in return grant you divine powers? OMG, that's so silly. :roll:

http://dragonage.bioware.com/forums/vie ... =135&sp=15

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Vibalist said:
Hümmelgümpf said:

This also stood out to me as being really, really stupid. Too stupid for Bioware even, so hopefully there is a good explanation for it.

Magic.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Wouldnt it have been great if Beth bought Bioware instead of EA doing so?

halloween_contest.jpg

denizsi

Arcane
Why do you guys give Bio such impossible standards and then act as if it's such a surprise when they don't meet those expectations?

I don't really. My only realistic expectation from Bioware is some kind of tangible consequences. Otherwise, that's the kind of wishful thinking I have towards any game. Someday, someone, somewhere...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"My only realistic expectation from Bioware is some kind of tangible consequences"

How many BIO games ahve you played? After all thsoe games, if you feel that BIO hasn't delivered 'tangible consequences' to your 'standards' why are you still expecting them to? That's silly.

If you buy a BIO game NOW after they've been around for 10 years, you should know exactly what to expect - whether you like their games or hate them.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
AndhairaX said:
Hmm, did they rip this off from Age of Decadance?

It's been in development for a long time. And the origin stories are just an evolution of the backgrounds in Mass Effect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom