Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline 2D Super Mario Games

What are in your opinion, the 2 best side-scrolling Super Mario games?

• Total voters

quixotic

Learned
Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Super Mario World is my favorite Mario game. It could be nostalgia, but for me it just "clicks". The look, the music, the controls, it's all there.

For my second pick it was a tie between SMB1 and SMB3. 3 wins because I like the power ups, there are many levels, and presentation is solid. SMB1 will always have a place in my heart, though. I played it an insane amount as a kid.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
I play through Super Mario World once or twice a year, I like the flow and precision of it making it very easy to run through but also allowing you to style a bit and go for more ballsy play

I also play through the DKC trilogy once or twice a year, DKC2 has the best music and art, but I find DKC3 to have the most varied and interesting gameplay.

I will never get angry at a video game because I wasted all of that energy trying to clear this level without any sort of tutorial, or access to the internet for that matter.

Machocruz

Arcane
I don't consider myself a fan of Super Mario. I've liked them well enough, but there were other platformers more my style. I can't help but be impressed by SMB3 though. You could call it objectively the best platformer of all time and I wouldn't argue. It's just too full of imagination, charm, and fun, creative gameplay ideas, wedded to perfectly responsive, precise controls (when played on original hardware at least), and great presentation. You can say the same about other Mario games, but I like 3's ideas the best, like moving around the world maps being a little game in itself, the battleships, the animal themed power ups, the underground with starry background (NES version) and hip-hop beat, etc. Nintendo were smoking that good shit when they made the game.

i can't vote since i've only played Mario 1, 3 and 64. but my unpopular opinion is that Mario is hard as fuck for me for some reason, i struggle more with Mario than Ninja Gaiden or Mega Man, i think it's the precision jumping and momentum based gameplay that Mario requires. In Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, Mega Man.. these games have no momentum, you can't even control the height of the jump of your character in some of them, so every jump is going to be the same. In Mario, the speed you're running and amount of milliseconds you pressed the jump button can influence your jump height and lenght, so i think Mario requires more skill than others platformers, you need to master the movement of the character, in other platformers you mostly need to memorize the levels through trial and error, and i don't consider that to be the good kind of skill. Mastering the mechanics of a game is the right kind skill, although Mario stil requires a lot of memorization, skill matter more here than your average NES/SNES game.

I consider beating Super Mario Bros 1 on NES without warps a bigger accomplishment than beating Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, Mega Man, Contra and others memorizers that people talk so much about.

HansDampf

Arcane
Skip the balloon and jump on the ?-blocks until you get to the flying Koopas.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It seems to be quite an experimental title

Maybe I'm an old fuck, but there's no way I could ever play this. There's too much shit happening on the screen. I want simpler levels with simpler graphics so I can quickly parse what's going on and what guys I need to be jumping on.

lightbane

Arcane
Ever played Eversion and Rayman Legends? Because the warp level feature and the musical levels come from each. Looks better than Danica Superstars for sure.

Tigranes

Arcane
It seems to be quite an experimental title

Maybe I'm an old fuck, but there's no way I could ever play this. There's too much shit happening on the screen. I want simpler levels with simpler graphics so I can quickly parse what's going on and what guys I need to be jumping on.

Playing this now, it's ironically not that cluttered in practice. I'd even say that the levels are on the simpler and sparser side, and it's possibly the result of having to build the levels to accommodate the Wonder shenanigans.

The glory days of 2D SMB are long gone, but it's nice to have another one to take round the block every few years.

Zlaja

Arcane
Am I the only one creeped out by Mario's elephant look? Just rubs me the wrong way. Creepy fat pedo vibe with him squirting water with his fat hose. Also, look at poor Yoshi now:

f38.png

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Really liked some of the things he said, specially in regards to difficulty
And it's good seeing Nintendo breaking the formula to experiment

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom