Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Avellone Interview On Edge

Tags: Chris Avellone; Obsidian Entertainment

Prestigious online magazine Edge has a two part interview/biography/thing with the man himself, Chris Avellone.<blockquote>He soon got his chance, albeit on the sequel. After the critical drubbing Undermountain received, Avellone’s contributions to Fallout 2 – most notably the entire, Mafia-controlled city of New Reno, with its bountiful side-quests and other distractions – were warmly welcomed, even if some Fallout zealots considered them tonally out-of-step. <b>“I’m very proud of New Reno,” Avellone says,</b> “as I think there’s a lot of fun sandbox things to do there. I’m proud of Vault City’s design, too – I added a lot more quests there, along with little touches here and there. Overall, I think Fallout 2 is better scope-wise but poorer aesthetically. I don’t think there was a strong genre policeman overseeing Fallout 2, and it suffered for it.”
<br>
[...]
<br>
Around the same time Avellone was building New Reno, Interplay was given the mandate from Tactical Studies Rules to produce an RPG based on the D&D Planescape setting. With its multiple universes, geometrically impossible landscapes and shady rules on the nature of life and death, Planescape was incomprehensible unless you were well-versed in D&D lore. It was also, in Avellone’s words, “fucking amazing”.
<br>
[...]
<br>
“The company culture changed once Brian Fargo left,” Avellone sighs. “Whatever people could say negatively about Interplay under his guidance, he had a strong vision for where he wanted the company to go and he really put effort and playtime into Interplay’s games. The new guard displayed none of these qualities, and the company climate changed in unpleasant ways. When I resigned, they were more concerned about digging up dirt on other companies recruiting me – and bringing lawsuits against them – rather than figuring out the reasons people were leaving. When I tried to explain the issues with Baldur’s Gate 3, the HR director didn’t even seem to know what Baldur’s Gate 3 was – talk about fucked up! Baldur’s Gate 3 got cancelled because of an accounting error, and we lost the rights to the licence entirely. Having a project cancelled because the dev team is doing a shitty job is one thing, but having another department not check their math is something else.”</blockquote>Don't ya love Herve? Check it out <a href="http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/chris-avellone-dark-knight">here</a> and <a href="http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/chris-avellone-dark-knight-0">here</a>.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Tuomas</b>.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php">Iron Tower Studio Forums</A>

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
nerd-rage.gif

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Interplay must finally be going under if the former employees have the stones to talk about it now.

bhlaab

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
Interplay must finally be going under if the former employees have the stones to talk about it now.

They had to desperately raise money to get a physical office. I think they've been done.

oldschool

Scholar
It was, despite its beautiful visuals, more comparable to a work of interactive literature than interactive film – the latter being the medium to which most videogames aspire – and now that big-budget voice-over casts are par for the course in game development, it seems unlikely we’ll see something like this ever again.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Why is Monsieur Avellone still crying about soemthing that happened what half a decade ago? Get over it for fuck sakes. What a crybaby.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Volourn said:
Why is Monsieur Avellone still crying about soemthing that happened what half a decade ago? Get over it for fuck sakes. What a crybaby.
Um, maybe because it made him have to leave his job and and also destroyed something he worked long and hard for? Maybe because you're a bitch?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
skyway, don't be an idiot. He didn't say he was proud about how well New Reno fitted. He's proud about the location on its own, and he has every reason to be.

oscar

Arcane
New Reno was p. cool. Now whoever was reponsible for the Chinatown..

Avellone said:
My mother is one of the strongest women alive,” he grins. “She could kick Superman’s ass. Maybe not Bizarro’s ass, because she’d probably feel sorry for his dyslexia.
:squee: he's a comic book fan eh? I've always wanted him to write one, maybe he will if we can drum up enough support.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think he's just trying to save face with the New Reno crap. He says the same shit about the Disciple from KotOR 2 -- "He wasn't at all awful or added in at the last second, he was in fact my favourite character!!11".

Kz3r0

Arcane
Volourn said:
:?: :idea: :arrow:

Jason

chasing a bee
:squee: he's a comic book fan eh? I've always wanted him to write one, maybe he will if we can drum up enough support.
He has written comic books. There was at least one Star Wars story he wrote for Dark Horse. Not sure if there was more.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Satori said:
Avellone said:
My mother is one of the strongest women alive,” he grins. “She could kick Superman’s ass. Maybe not Bizarro’s ass, because she’d probably feel sorry for his dyslexia.

He has written several star wars comics. I have them and can tell you the issues later when I dig them out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom