Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Witcher 2 'breakthrough RPG like Fallout 3'

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Witcher, The

<a href="http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/1,101109,7264926,CDP__Wiedzmin_2_przelomowym_RPGiem__nowy_silnik_w.html#English">Polygamia have a thing</a> about The Witcher 2:
<br>
<blockquote>We've been to CD Projekt's conference regarding its merger with Optimus. Here are some of the facts we have learned from the conference itself and from speaking to CD Projekt's founders, Micha&#322; Kici&#324;ski and Marcin Iwi&#324;ski.
<br>
<br>
* According to CD Projekt, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is to be a "breakthrough RPG like Fallout 3" that should get over 90% score at Metacritic
<br>
* The Witcher 2 development team currently consists of ca. 80 people, both from CD Projekt Red and from Metropolis Software, whose FPS titled They is currently "on hold"
<br>
* The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf, the console port of the first game, is not canceled but suspended, and will likely be made after all. This time with the use of CD Projekt's own technology, not an engine outsourced from a third party. However, it might not happen until after the second game is finished.
<br>
* The Witcher 2 uses CD Projekt's internal, multi-platform engine, which is focused not only on the renderer and physics, but on non-linear quest design. CD Projekt founders believe that it will be in the vanguard among game engines, and especially RPG engines.
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
... and Fallout 3 broke through what, exactly?
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Ausir</b>!

bhlaab

Erudite
Sales records. This is 100% a business meeting about a merger so of course they want to piggyback the game that sold a bazillion copies.

aboyd

Liturgist
I like that they're proud of a game engine that focuses on non-linear quest design.

Dionysus

Scholar
Yeah, they're talking about how successful the game will be, and FO3 was very successful for an RPG. But the sales won't be that great unless they can get a publisher to push a console version in NA.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
According to CD Projekt, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is to be a "breakthrough RPG like Fallout 3" that should get over 90% score at Metacritic
God, this almost sounds like a farce. Not the Fallout 3 bit, but the 90% score bit. Like saying it's one of the bestest games ever.

mondblut

Arcane
I see the hype machine is winding up again. Whether Twitcher is good or not (and it has its good sides), these guys are surely more annoying than even Bethsoft.

Deleted member 7219

I think everything that has come out so far regarding Witcher 2 makes CDProjekt look like utter twats. But the first Witcher was a great game, so I'm remaining optimistic about the sequel.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Matt7895 said:
. But the first Witcher was a great game, so I'm remaining optimistic about the sequel.

Be aware that quite a few of the people who worked on TW are not there anymore to work on TW2.

Silellak

Cipher
Brother None said:
Matt7895 said:
. But the first Witcher was a great game, so I'm remaining optimistic about the sequel.

Be aware that quite a few of the people who worked on TW are not there anymore to work on TW2.
This could be a good or bad thing, depending on what the people who left were responsible for in TW...

The breakthrough is probably that they now are spending 5 million on marketing and 500 thousand on the game itself. Thats how you get high scores. If they are following fallout 3's lead, they also are spending 1 million for 1-3 voice actors whose entire voice acting consists of 2 paragraphs, then every other character is voiced for free by 3-6 people who didn't look busy in the office.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
Fallout 3 broke through my heart.

fallout3brokemyheart.jpg

I'd be tentatively happy if a game like TW sold mega-Bethesdazillion-copies. TW is one of those games that, like Deus Ex and Bloodlines (not as good as those two, mind you), is what the mass-market dumbed-down sell-to-people-who-don't-like-RPGs games SHOULD have been. I still don't understand why a gazillion Deus Ex clones didn't fill the FPS-RPG market instead of Oblivion and co. I'd say the same about TW and poor Diablo clones.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
In some ways, TW should've had plenty of mass appeal, what with you playing the macho medieval rockstar (in Codex parlance) and everything. I imagine that had an NA developer made it, it'd have been much more successful commercially, but Americans are dumb, self-centered and foreign products to their shores just don't stand as good a chance. Which makes the 1mil sales that much more startling.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Ausir said:
Only a small fraction of the 1 million sales were in NA.

Aye, most of them were in Russia and Poland, which in turn means they're not sold at "full retail price" as we Westerners know it (50-60 EUR/USD), which in turn explains why the pretty expensive TW (by Polish standards) barely made its money back (if at all).

Which, with loans and financial crisis being what it is, explains why the overly-ambitious plan to simultaneously develop three TW titles (TW2, TW:RotWW and third project I'm still not identifying) while funding Metropolis' work on They was...too much?

Poor CD:P. Fell flat on - if anything - over-ambition. Or perhaps arrogance.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Ausir said:
Which makes the 1mil sales that much more startling.

Only a small fraction of the 1 million sales were in NA.

Ahhh, thanks for vindicating my impression that the majority of Americans are xenophobic drooling cretins, then.

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
Lesifoere said:
In some ways, TW should've had plenty of mass appeal, what with you playing the macho medieval rockstar (in Codex parlance) and everything. I imagine that had an NA developer made it, it'd have been much more successful commercially, but Americans are dumb, self-centered and foreign products to their shores just don't stand as good a chance. Which makes the 1mil sales that much more startling.

Foreign products usually do better in America than domestic ones. Maybe people would have bought The Witcher if it had publicity. Not many people have heard of it.

also, I'm pretty sure Thais are dumber than Americans :)

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
BlitzKitchen said:
Foreign products usually do better in America than domestic ones)

What?

I assume you're thinking electronics. The same does not apply to entertainment products, whether it be books, films, music or games, domestic dominates in the entertainment industry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom