Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Kreia gonna carry me to my grave

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

Alexander Gambotto-Burke's <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/born-under-a-bad-sign?page=1" target="blank">"Born Under a Bad Sign"</a> article at Eurogamer begins as a rant against lazy game villain casting and ends with a love letter to KOTOR II's Kreia (and Chris Avellone).
<br>
<blockquote>Kreia is the perfect villain for her flawless dialogue (written by Avellone), intelligent and subtle voice-acting (by Sara Kestelman), and the fact that she forces you to make choices. She makes you think about your actual in-game decisions, if only just to please her and get another chance at finding a crack in her adamantine facade. She's a tutorial, an incentive to explore moral avenues you might have otherwise ignored, and she's a decent end-boss. What more could you want, really?
<br>
<br>
Actually, I think I've just discovered why the tree spirits told me to write this piece. It's for you, Chris. I know Alpha Protocol has been delayed, and I hope you're taking every minute of those extra few months to make a villain that blows Kreia - and Planescape's Transcendant One, for that matter - out of the water.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
<i>Thanks for the tip, PlanHex</i>

Ch1ef

Scholar
Actually, I think I've just discovered why the tree spirits told me to write this piece. It's for you, Chris.
FUCKIN HOMO WOOD ELF

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Actually Kreia wasn't that bad as a part of the team. As end boss she unfortunately sucked, and that tweest. Meh.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Malakal said:
Actually Kreia wasn't that bad as a part of the team. As end boss she unfortunately sucked, and that tweest. Meh.

There was no twist.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Kreia was fun. Give me more final bosses that follow you around and teach you their philosophy throughout the course of the game.

Talking to Kreia is pointless except to unlock a few key advantages. The most obvious being creating Jedi from your followers and crafting a lightsaber. Thus players were forced through these boring as hell monologues.

Andhaira

Arcane
Kreia was an overhyped, emo villain. OTOH Malak was way too in your face.

In the end though, Malak was better. Kreia was far too ambiguous (aka they overdid it)

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
AndhairaX said:

In the end though, Malak was better. Kreia was far too ambiguous (aka they overdid it)

Error. HITV failure detected. Initializing SNU defense protocols.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Really? I found Malak to be no more complex than:
'I AM THE BIG EVIL DUDE SO THEREFORE I WILL DO EVIL THINGS AND DESTROY STUFF'

dragonfk

Erudite
AndhairaX said:

You're stupid. Malak better than Kreia? You're stupid!

Andhaira

Arcane
The point is not that Malak was more complex, he was not. The point is that Malak served his purpose, to be a satisfactory endgame villain. Kreia was not. She left the player unfulfilled and wanting more.

Nhilus should have been the final boss, and should have been much harder to defeat.

dragonfk

Erudite
AndhairaX said:
The point is not that Malak was more complex, he was not. The point is that Malak served his purpose, to be a satisfactory endgame villain. Kreia was not. She left the player unfulfilled and wanting more.

Yesss, but that was the purpose. It was only the second instalment of the game. The ending was a prelude to the third part and the real conflict with Sith Empire. The end game was unsatisfying, because of all the loose ends, not because Kreia was bad end game boss.

Silellak

Cipher
dragonfk said:
AndhairaX said:

Yesss, but that was the purpose. It was only the second instalment of the game. The ending was a prelude to the third part and the real conflict with Sith Empire. The end game was unsatisfying, because of all the loose ends, not because Kreia was bad end game boss.
And now, the KotoR trilogy story arc finally gets resolved...in MMO form!
:decline:

dragonfk

Erudite
Silellak said:
dragonfk said:
AndhairaX said:

And now, the KotoR trilogy story arc finally gets resolved...in MMO form!
:decline:

True. But it still changes nothing as far as Kreia is concerned.

Gladi

Educated
AndhairaX said:
Kreia left the player unfulfilled and wanting more.

Bright day
I see that as working as intended.

And I am not confusing PC and player. I really do not think there wwere supposed to be a triumph in there.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Kreia was an above average character but vastly overrated. FLAWLESS WRITING? WTF Kind of crap is that?

xantrius

Liturgist
What the fuck? Calling Kreia a villain is excruciatingly nonsense par excellence.

Kreia is interesting because she defies the logic of the Star Wars Setting and is not a villain, but rather an amalgam of anti-hero/mentor/antagonist.

The literary device of a ‘villain’ is damaging and inhuman in its inherent one-dimensionality-of-infinite-boredomness™. Except within children’s literature; where it is debatable.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Meh, Ravel was a much better and memorable villain than Kreia whose design was influenced by Ravel. Kreia was just an annoying old bitch who wouldn't stop hounding my ass with her bullshit philosophy. Almost as annoying as Carth.

dragonfk

Erudite
What do you want from her? You may have not liked her, but it was obvious she was very important to the plot. And trying to uncover her disguise step by step was intriguing. Not to mention that I was really interested in finding out about Revan and his origins.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
She's just probably not as interesting and deep as whateverisDA'svillain'sname :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom