Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

3ds/2ds worth the money?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Lol I would be disappointed hard time if I got my 3DS for FEA. Was a pretty poor game for a tactical RPG.

deuxhero

Arcane
For those in the US that want one, Bestbuy has it on sale for the second best price I've seen (and the best was in part an error, though still slightly better without the error), with Amazon matching it. May get better on actual black-friday sales (though the GS ad leaks suggests otherwise)

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I bought a US 3DS XL when I was in New York in August, and I'd say it's well worth the money -- as long as you can buy the games in the US or import them.

Not so sure about the European version though, since many games tend to be delayed or not come out at all in the EU. Fuck EU, seriously.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Rather, fuck nintendo, for contributing for the global trade imbalance with their ridiculous region coding.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
US > EU
:troll:

(I've actually got no clue why they can't just release the same titles in Europe that they do in the US.)

Alchemist

Arcane
How hackable is the 3DS XL? Like, can you somehow get emulators for old consoles (SNES, Genesis) onto it?

I'm thinking of getting one for the native DS dungeon crawlers but I'm curious what else you can hack it to do.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Uh, I remember having a conversation with someone about getting homebrew on my DS Lite years ago and it involves ordering a blank cartridge and getting some kind of ROM on it, I think.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
How hackable is the 3DS XL? Like, can you somehow get emulators for old consoles (SNES, Genesis) onto it?
ds/3ds aren't hacked as such. you buy a flash cart that masks itself as a legitimate cartridge and put your shiznit on there and use it to run roms or emus.
if you just want to emu shit, buy a 3ds compatible ds flash cart and put emus compatible with the cart on it. it will run on the 3ds and be able to play emus or ds roms. as far as playing 3ds roms goes, there is one 3ds flash cart so far, but it's not publicly out yet.

Bahamut

Arcane

I'm thinking of getting one for the native DS dungeon crawlers but I'm curious what else you can hack it to do.

Only 4.1-4.5 firmwares are hackable due to some exploit that was patched later, but thats for 3ds roms, you can play DS roms on most of firmwares.
Currently there is only one flash card that is available, and it costs like 2x of a normal 3ds game.
There are plans to emulate newest firmware on 4.x one.

Cromwell

Arcane
I heard the flashcards stop working after some patch, which you are required to do if you want to play some games. Is it possible to skip the region lock with some trick? I still hate that since I couldnt play final fantasy 6 until it came out for the fucking playstation because it was never released before in germany, dont want to suffer such shit again.

Bahamut

Arcane
I heard the flashcards stop working after some patch which you are required to do if you want to play some games
.Is it possible to skip the region lock with some trick? I still hate that since I couldnt play final fantasy 6 until it came out for the fucking playstation because it was never released before in germany, dont want to suffer such shit again.
4.1-4.5FW version or impossible, normal DS games dont have a regionlock (and flashards for them are updatable)
It really looks like 3ds really succeeed with piracy issue

I hope i will get a 4.5, its possible that the flashcard for 3ds will get an update to emulate latest firmware and multi-rom support

Consoles produced in 2012 still have 4.0-4.5 versions, the latest 3ds and 2ds got 5.0+

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I heard the flashcards stop working after some patch, which you are required to do if you want to play some games. Is it possible to skip the region lock with some trick? I still hate that since I couldnt play final fantasy 6 until it came out for the fucking playstation because it was never released before in germany, dont want to suffer such shit again.
The people making (the better and more expensive) flashcards actually offer good support and release new firmware to deal with Nintendo's patches.

Alchemist

Arcane
Thanks all for the answers regarding hackability - looks like I have a bit of research to do if I want to go that route. I'm not sure I'd go through the trouble - as I'd primarily use it for legitly bought DS / 3DS games. Nice to know the possibility is there though.

Bahamut

Arcane
Thanks all for the answers regarding hackability - looks like I have a bit of research to do if I want to go that route. I'm not sure I'd go through the trouble - as I'd primarily use it for legitly bought DS / 3DS games. Nice to know the possibility is there though.

http://gbatemp.net/

This is a good site for this kind of stuff

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I bought the EU 3ds and while EO IV was a good, enjoyable ride the console now sits gathering dust and the only title I'm considering is Crimson Shroud (any opinions on it btw?). Looks like EU is/will be getting the various SMT games at best and I'm yet to like a single game in this universe so that doesn't cut it for me. I will probably wait a few more months to see if there are at least any chances of getting the EO I remake and if not I'll get rid.

But buying DS Lite with Acekard is something I wholeheartedly recommend, good amount of fun titles for little money.

Bahamut

Arcane
Now as i have finally got one of these,
until i get hand on a proper 3ds games... any ol' DS games recomendations?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
- Dragon Quest IX
+ Devil Survivor (although both are getting expanded 3DS remakes)

Crooked Bee

Patron
DS has a whole lot of great games. That kinda depends on what you're looking for though.

Off the top of my head I could name:
- Strange Journey
- Devil Survivor
- Devil Survivor 2
- Soul Hackers (or is it 3DS only?)
- The Dark Spire
- Etrian Odyssey 1-2-3
- Knights in the Nightmare
- 4 Heroes of Light
- Final Fantasy 3-4-5 remakes
- Rondo of Swords
- Some other SRPGs I can't recall
- Radiant Historia (didn't enjoy it much myself but everyone says it's good)
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: don't remember the subtitle
- Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure ;)
- A Witch's Tale ;)
- Ghost Trick

Can't recall them all, really!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
There is a atelier game on the DS, atelier annie or something like that
Oh
+ Ghost Trick

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom