Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

3ds/2ds worth the money?

Keldryn

Arcane
DragoFireheart: It's a fun and amusing game. It's not a game to buy the system for, but I've had fun with it. My wife got a 3DS XL a couple of months before I did, and it was one of the games she bought for it. Is it Planescape: Torment caliber? Of course not. I still think it's worth playing.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
DragoFireheart: It's a fun and amusing game. It's not a game to buy the system for, but I've had fun with it. My wife got a 3DS XL a couple of months before I did, and it was one of the games she bought for it. Is it Planescape: Torment caliber? Of course not. I still think it's worth playing.

It's not even TTYD caliber. highly flawed game from what I heard.

Note: if the game rewards you for avoiding fights when most of the game is fighting, there's something wrong with the design...

Avellion

Erudite
There are a lot of games on the 3DS that make it worth buying:

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Eh? You know it is bad when not even the Nintendo fans like that one.

As for the rest of the list, it is fair enough. I wonder when my American 3DS reaches europe. I am looking forward to playing SMT4 and ruin the plans of the true enemy as well as playing Rune Factory 4 and unleash my inner jew.

Keldryn

Arcane
Eh? You know it is bad when not even the Nintendo fans like that one.

My wife and I both enjoyed playing it, so I don't really care what Nintendo fans think of it.

Of course, I also loved Fallout 3 almost as much as 1 & 2, so what the hell do I know...

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
So I didn't play many games on the DS besides the Phoenix Wright Series (I'm still putting off Apollo Justices as the beginning annoys me for whatever reason). Thanks to this thread I picked up Ghost Trick which, at that time, I didn't know it was created by the same guy responsible for Phoenix Wright. Suffice to say, one could easily guess that by how similar the styles were after playing for a bit.

But anyway, as to the game - Never change Japan, never change. Because nobody else will make such fun games.

I have to admit that the gags were wittier than in PW games.
The "Yeah, I'm dead again!"(third time Lynne died) moment and the two Prison Guards destroyed me.

Thanks for the recommendation people.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

Bravely Default
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire

DS games

I need one more quality game before I purchase following my Rule of Four.

DragoFireheart

AFAIK the Gateway flashcarts only work with a certain firmware level and below, so if you intend to use one, you have to be aware of which firmware 3DS you're buying.

I just want to buy the handheld-console, buy the game, shove the game into the console, and turn it on to start playing. Does firmware still matter then?

Avellion

Erudite
Bravely Default
Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire

DS games

I need one more quality game before I purchase following my Rule of Four.
Etrian Oddysey 4 and Untold are pretty good (in the case of Untold, make sure to play classic mode where you can create your own party of up to 5 adventurers). They are good turn based first person, party based dungeon crawlers. They are not the best in their class (Wizardry is), but they are still pretty good nonetheless.

Kid Icarus: Uprising is a third person shooter which does not involve popping moles behind a chest high wall. There are also items with negative stat modifiers, which is something the majority of the AAA RPG developers forgot about.

Right now I am trolling other players online with my tranny main character and tranny themed town in Animal Crossing: Wild Leaf.

Rune Factory 4 provides plenty of opportunity for hoarding, though it was cancelled in europe.

Then there was a remake/port for Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor. If you havent played the Devil Survivor for the DS, I would strongly recommend playing that.

roll-a-die

Magister
AFAIK the Gateway flashcarts only work with a certain firmware level and below, so if you intend to use one, you have to be aware of which firmware 3DS you're buying.

I just want to buy the handheld-console, buy the game, shove the game into the console, and turn it on to start playing. Does firmware still matter then?
He means if you are a pirate, you can use those to play your pirated games. Gateway Flashcarts are needed to run pirated games on your handheld. They can also potentially brick your system if you use them with the wrong firmware. Or with a 2ds, whose DRM has thus far been uncrackable for the flashcart makers.

And as far as 3DS and DS games go, you've got Pokemanz, Animu Crossingu, Rune Factoru, and Bravry Defart, for the 3DS that I'd recommend, having played through some of the first, not been able to play the second, because of schedule issues, and loving the third, and most of the fourth..

You've also got the ability to play the VAST library of shit that Came out on the DS. Of them, I'd say, Doragon Qwestu 9 is the best, but that's just my Level-5 Fanboying getting going. Advanced Wars: Duru Strike is also good, if you like smacktical tactical JRPGs. Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars is supposedly pretty nice, and I digged the shit out of The World Ends With You.

Last edited:

Renegen

Arcane
If you have OCD, be sure to give Rune Factory a try. That game is insane, you could spend hundreds of hours before you finish it.

Bahamut

Arcane
If you have OCD, be sure to give Rune Factory a try. That game is insane, you could spend hundreds of hours before you finish it.

Playing the first one now, im in the third dunegon and summer, and repetitiveness start to bother me, not as fun as psx harvest moon, nearly no random events (it seems all events are tied to dungeon progression)

Avellion

Erudite

Playing the first one now, im in the third dunegon and summer, and repetitiveness start to bother me, not as fun as psx harvest moon, nearly no random events (it seems all events are tied to dungeon progression)
The series didnt really get good until the later ones, namely Rune Factory 4, which if I may add, has truckloads of random events and has far superior pacing too.

Bahamut

Arcane

The series didnt really get good until the later ones, namely Rune Factory 4, which if I may add, has truckloads of random events and has far superior pacing too.

Well im from EU so fuck you nintendo for regional locks,

DragoFireheart

If Dragon Quest 7 comes out for the 3DS (Squenix don't fuck me over again) then I will have:

Dragon Quest 7
Bravely Default
Pokemon (Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire)

This will be enough games to convince me to buy a 3DS. I'll fund it by selling off my (collecting dust) MtG cards.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It seems there are no plans on a DQ7 localization and DQ11 was hinted as being developed for home consoles.

Avellion

Erudite
So when the hell is Fantasy Life supposed to come out anyway?

Also,
daily-en.jpg

I wonder if this skin will be available on the 3DS version. :patriot::kwanzania::kwafuckyeah:

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
I bought a 3DS pretty close to launch for new Etrian Odyssey and Fire Emblem. I knew both of those were a ways off so I got a release game,Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars to pass the time. Fast forward and Ghost Recon is probably still my favorite 3DS game and I ended up being tepid on all the new EOs and FE: Awakening.

In the meantime something fairly unthinkable happened and my attention shifted to the backwater that has always been the PSP/Vita: Demon Gaze, Elimage Original, Class of Heroes 2, Valkyria Chronicles 3..weird.

Bravely Default is still on my to-play list however and I really enjoyed FF: 4 Heroes of Light. So I'm retaining a bit of hope. I also picked up and beat Super Mario: Lost Levels which is like the first Super Mario on steriods, so there's that.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Think I'm just going to wait for Bravely Second to come out. If I love it to bits I'll buy the orginal.

Unlikely, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom