Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

3ds/2ds worth the money?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
ghost recon is unexpectedly fun. real cheap to get, too.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
I finally found Shin Megami Tensei Soul Hackers (had to only search the whole fucking city for it) and I'm having mixed feelings about it.
I enjoyed Strange Journey a lot but it takes quite a while to actually get into the meat of things...there's a lot of exposition before you actually play, I wasn't expecting that.
I hope it's good.

Martius

Liturgist
Well, Soul Hackers is pretty old. Its pretty much translated port of Saturn game from 1997. From what I can remember after begging it gets better.

sbb

Learned
Is the circle pad less thumb-fucking on the 2DS? The day I got a 3DS and A Link Between Worlds and played it for 5 hours or so, my thumb was completely destroyed doing that awkward reach. It looks a bit more ~ergonomic~ or whatever on the 2DS.

Edit: Also, is Gunman Clive actually good and worth money? I watched the Giant Bomb video and it seemed pretty boring, mostly a vehicle for the art style.

Last edited:

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
ghost recon is unexpectedly fun. real cheap to get, too.

If I remember, it was supposed to be a DS game but it was right at the end of the lifecylce so it got switched to being a release game for the 3DS. So, its maybe the not the slickest looking game but like I said earlier, I still think its my favorite 3DS title. Its basically Rebel Star (GBA) but without all of the clunkiness that encumbered that game.
I really think its cool to watch how this style of game has evolved, especially on handhelds. I'm not sure anyone has ever heard of it, but one of the best I ever played was called Pathway to Glory for the NGage. Legends of War Patton's Campaign is damn close to being the same game. Pathway to Glory had one mission I simply couldn't get past without losing a soldier so I never beat it. I guess my mentality at the time was "no one left behind".

Still, even being sparing, that game is a 10/10. Not sure if Patton is as good or not -- I was so hyped to get it but I think it came out right when the PSN crashed for two months. By the time it was back up I couldn't muster the same excitement. At one time I heard there was an entire Legends of War series and the next one was going to be more historical -- like the Peloponnisian War or something. Anybody know if that's still happening?

Avellion

Erudite
Nintendo announces the 3DS model they should have had in the first place (well, I would probably do some things different), but why werent there any dual sticks from the start.

2639834-9549016380-BwM7bJAIgAA9NXJ.png%3Alarge

• Dual-sticks
  • ZR/ZL buttons
  • Better 3D viewing
  • Longer battery life
  • Screen autodims
  • Supports Micro SD cards
  • Removable battery
  • Removable faceplates
  • Built-in Amiibo support
  • Improved CPU
  • Faster download times

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is that small white nub on the top right supposed to be the fucking second stick? That's just silly.

Avellion

Erudite
It is, and I agree.

In fact when I said "well, I would probably do some things different" was exactly referring to the second stick ;)

Got myself a Gateway and 3DS, and I have to say that I'm not disappointed. Fire Emblem, various Megaten, even Rune Factory is p. fun.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
Got myself a Gateway and 3DS, and I have to say that I'm not disappointed. Fire Emblem, various Megaten, even Rune Factory is p. fun.

There's also Etrian Odyssey games and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (its basically an X-Com style game with the Ghost Recon franchise stuff tacked on top)

Personally I wish they'd offered the 2DS from the start because the 3-D is always blurry for me anyway so the amount of time I've had it on over the last several years is measurable in minutes or maybe even seconds.

There's also Etrian Odyssey games and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (its basically an X-Com style game with the Ghost Recon franchise stuff tacked on top)
Yeah, I've played Etrian Odyssey (the first one, if I'm not mistaken) on my old DS, it was p. fun, but repetitive. Heard mixed opinions on the sequels, will try them out later. Never heard about Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars before this thread, but I'll definitely check it. Thanks for the advice.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
So they release a new model with new hardware capabilities that locks out older 3ds models, but they do not take the opportunity to upgrade screen resolution with it?

Great Nintendo. Always getting your priorities right.

Avellion

Erudite
And it's gonna have games exclusive to it. Thanks, Japan.
Yeah, this was incredibly stupid. Hopefully it is just a few games though (that can be better played elsewhere). They better allow you to turn in your old system for an upgrade like they did with the DSi, because this is just going to alienate people.

Deitti

Augur
Maybe Nintendo could also use this "new" 3DS as chance to remove the retarded region lock? Nah, it's Nintendo, i almost forgot. Honestly that new machine has nothing so new in it that it would feel justified to have to buy one if any good games become exclusive for it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess the handheld market will go the smartphone route. It's basically why I don't by games for smartphones. I wonder how it will take before consoles start to do this.

I don't mind them releasing better versions of existing hardware, but I am not going to buy a "New 3DS". Bravely Second better fucking work on the "Old 3DS".

Martius

Liturgist
If not that I managed to get pretty cheap new copy of Xenoblade I would be pretty mad since I have 3ds xl since last year. I doubt many third party (if any at all) will make games only for new version, they could just use mini stick for camera control or other improvements in that part. There are around 40 millions of 3ds so far, I dont think new revision will manage to catch up that number pretty fast.

Last edited:

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Cba to scroll through this thread too see if any one mentioned it before but looks like Atlus is working on a 3DS remake of Devil Survivor 2. Why the fuck they can't just make DeSu3 instead of remaking 2 DS games from 2009/2011 as if they were old games in need of remakes when 3DS is backwards compatible :argh: Still, DeSu2 has great&challenging combat so people who didn't play the original can play it through with some extra content (and most likely obnoxious voice acting)

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I suppose it doesn't really matter.
Cba to scroll through this thread too see if any one mentioned it before but looks like Atlus is working on a 3DS remake of Devil Survivor 2. Why the fuck they can't just make DeSu3 instead of remaking 2 DS games from 2009/2011 as if they were old games in need of remakes when 3DS is backwards compatible :argh: Still, DeSu2 has great&challenging combat so people who didn't play the original can play it through with some extra content (and most likely obnoxious voice acting)

That's pretty much how Atlus rolls. They sold like a million copies of Persona 4 (a game they made in 2008) under the Golden label for pretty much no reason. Still, the Devil Survivor 2 expanded content will be a continuation of the story and have the length of a full game. Basically like the Throne of Bhaal.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
As long as they put the funds from those games to making good sequels and invest them in new IPs (ie stuff like Nocturne/P4/DeSu/Dark Spire/Etrian Odyssey/Knights in the Nightmare), it's alright. Milking Persona is ok as long as they invest those profits to new, unrelated games and don't infest the mainline SMT games with social shit (the social links in SMT IV and DeSu 2 are bad signs).

Martius

Liturgist
DeSu 2 remake is pretty much in development hell. It was supposed to be released last year in Japan, so far there is just information about one new character. Most of their recent developed games are remakes - EO and Soul Hackers for example. Atlus (at least their studio in Japan) is not big. They have around 100 workers and already have lot of project going on. I just hope we could finally see some new thing sometime. Maybe after Persona5?

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Soul Hackers is more forgivable though since it was never released in the West. I wish they would make a SMT compilation with all the previously J-exclusive single player games translated into English and packaged on a single disc, no voice acting or remakes needed, just translations. I hope they're not spreading themselves too thin with unnecessary Persona spin offs no one asked for (and the remakes), since the one actually impressive looking major release (SMT X FE) also seems to be in development hell. Wii U needs more worthwhile games and consoles in general need more tactical RPGs and turn based tactics games.

Martius

Liturgist
@TheGreatOne
I wouldnt say that SMT X FE is in development hell. First trailer was probably shown too early, maybe even before preproduction? Its being made by both Intelligent System and Atlus, as we know Nintendo studios love taking their sweet time while making game. I am also afraid of that. I hope these spinoffs will be enough and Atlus could start making more jrpg on normal consoles after Persona5, just like they did after SMT3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom