Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

3ds/2ds worth the money?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In a slightly unrelated question, is Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright worth it if I only like one of the franchises?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Especially when the PS3 already has an emulator being worked on. It actually runs 11 games.

I guess the Nintendo ninjas did a good job at protecting their system.

Bahamut

Arcane
Especially when the PS3 already has an emulator being worked on. It actually runs 11 games.

I guess the Nintendo ninjas did a good job at protecting their system.

This, if you dont count gateway working on 4.5 FW, 3ds is unhackable

Altough there is some proper 3ds emu worked on now iirc

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I don't think we'll see an emulator capable of running commercial games anytime soon, as long as the encryption hasn't been broken, studying the relationship between the software/games and system will be close to impossible. The games, the system, the savefiles, everything is encrypted and each console has its unique key (!) which prevents things like installing an older firmware copied from another console. There's an emulator in the work for homebrew, but it's only emulating some of the hardware, and will definitely never be capable of running commercial games before the consoles truly get hacked in a meaningful way.
Also, each console has its own unique encryption key (unlike the PS3 which was broken for good once the one master key got leaked, allowing anyone to temper with the system and reverse engineer stuff. A full 3ds hack would take some serious leak from nin probably. ).

The PS3 has an emulator worked on but that's 8 years after release, the emulator is like an experimental project (there is NO hardware that could possibly run modern ps3 games at a decent framerate. It's literally impossible.) that might not even end up being of any use since Moore's law is slowing down quite a bit (A CPU strong enough to emulate the Cell at full speed.. we just aren't there. Maybe not ever.) It also took 6 years to get the ps3 master key and truly hack the console.

Just look at what kind of CPU you need to emulate all major ps2 games at full speed. Now imagine the same with the ps3. Nope.

spekkio

Arcane
Thank god there are like 10 really good / mustplay games on 3DS + PS3 + Vita, so nothing of value is lost.

:smug:

At least compared to huge library of good old games for NDS + PS2 + PSP lol this one not really.
Recent inflow of wapanese games getting western PC releases clearly shows that even jap devs are starting to look on consoles less favorably. 3-5 years ago they probably wouldn't bother.

Anyway, in 5-10 years the whole gaming will probably mix into a gigantic pile of browser-level, DRM-infested, tablet/smartphone, popamole crap. This will be the whole new level of the NEWSHIT.
Looking back, things like Dragon Age or DmC will be considered the HQ oldshit.

skeletorgif.gif

daveyd

Savant
Thank god there are like 10 really good / mustplay games on 3DS + PS3 + Vita, so nothing of value is lost.

10? Really? That's about 9 more than I aware of :). Any recommendations? For some reason, I have a 3DS and PS3.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

10? Really? That's about 9 more than I aware of :). Any recommendations? For some reason, I have a 3DS and PS3.

... well, "must play" games is a sort of nebulous category. 3DS has Fire Emblem: Awakening, A Link Between Worlds, Bravely Default, Etrian Odyssey series, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Rune Factory 4, Pokemon X/Y, the Devil Survivor remake, etc. Between them these franchises have fun cornered in the JRPG market.

PS3 has Valkyria Chronicles, no small incline there. :obviously:

I'll admit that Fire Emblem: Awakening doesn't represent the best of its series, but its still a pretty solid SRPG with a lot of entertainment value.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Why buy systems that have no good games in your opinion?

Valkyria Chronicles and demon's Souls are both good games that are worth giving a try. If you like games in the vein of the GTA games, Red Dead Redemption is a solid game. Not amazing as some people make it out to be, but fun will be had while playing it. Okami HD is an excellent port if you enjoy action adventure games. I could mention more, but I have a feeling they would not interest you in the slightest.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
PS3 also has Disgaea 3/4/D2 (and other NIS games) and Dragon's Dogma. And BlazBlue, KOF 13 & Guilty Gear if you're into competitive fighting games. And the upcoming Persona. And Ni No Kuni if you want a light hearted and purdy JRPG adventure and you don't care about combat or can look past the battle system.

sbb

Learned
Anybody playing the Smash 4 demo for Club Nintendo platinums? I wasn't sold on it for the 3DS and I'm not a huge fan of the series, but it's making me doubt myself...

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I'm playing it. Runs butter smooth. That I suck at it is another matter.

Avellion

Erudite
I got a key, but I got a PAL 3DS, and the key I got was for US 3DS. I will have to wait a week, I am interested in trying it out though to see what the Fuzz is about.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Did you give it to someone? I would be happy to take that troublesome key out of your hands.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space

... well, "must play" games is a sort of nebulous category. 3DS has Fire Emblem: Awakening, A Link Between Worlds, Bravely Default, Etrian Odyssey series, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Rune Factory 4, Pokemon X/Y, the Devil Survivor remake, etc. Between them these franchises have fun cornered in the JRPG market.

Out of that list, I would recommend Devil Survivor first. Although that might ruin the other games for daveyd, since everything else will seem meh after DS:O.
Pokemon doesn't really belong on the list unless you're going for some sort of childhood nostalgia.

There isn't a lot of great 3DS games, but if you didn't own the previous generation of handheld, having a 3DS gives you a decent backlog of good stuff to play like Strange Journey. Most of the strength of owning a 3DS is just being able to play DS games.

Avellion

Erudite
Pokemon's strength comes from the team building in those games. Which is always a lot of fun in those games, and then use your carefully crafted teams to destroy your buddies "meta" teams, whose builds were copy pasted from Smogon without any form of understanding.

What does not belong on the list however is Waifu Emblem: Awakening. Just replay Fire Emblem 4, 5, 6, 7, 9 or 10 instead.

Did you give it to someone? I would be happy to take that troublesome key out of your hands.

I gave it back to the owner of the key. The owner of said key is a codexer however, so maybe he will give it to you.

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
You emulation fans need it to get through your head that it's very unlikely it will ever happen again on a new system because publc key crypto is all grown up now. Piracy is still possible of course, if harder, but coding stuff so that it can be tested on hardware (what all emulation depends on for research) will only be possible with dev kits.

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
You may also want to check out The Keep for 3DS, which was just released on the eShop a few days ago. It's a Grimrock-esque realtime dungeon crawler and it's only $13. It's not great, but it's definitely good - I'm having fun with it so far.

Martius

Liturgist
Great, it finally escaped from development hell! Now I just hope it will reach Europe in reasonable time.

Siveon

Bot
Ah, good. I was planning on playing a shit-ton of SMT games and I would've been annoyed as fuck if I had to downgrade handhelds to play a sequel.

Siveon

Bot
Ah, good. I was planning on playing a shit-ton of SMT games and I would've been annoyed as fuck if I had to downgrade handhelds to play a sequel.

Downgrade? You can play DS games on a 3DS.

You misunderstand me, I'm talking graphics/mechanics-wise. In the case of my XL, there is a bit of stretching and the noticeable black lines is a pet peeve for me.

Keldryn

Arcane
You misunderstand me, I'm talking graphics/mechanics-wise. In the case of my XL, there is a bit of stretching and the noticeable black lines is a pet peeve for me.

I find that mostly to be a problem with 2D games. 3D games on the DS are already so ugly that I don't find them to look a whole lot worse on the 3DS XL. ;)

I started playing Dragon Quest V on my DS Lite, but I've ended up spending more time playing it on my 3DS XL. The DS Lite feels like it has postage stamp sized screens in comparison. I imagine that the DSi or DSi XL are probably the best systems to play original DS games on.

Actually, my biggest complaint about playing original DS games on the 3DS is that I don't get any StreetPass tags on my train ride to and from work. :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom