Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

3ds/2ds worth the money?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, I'm planning on getting one of those special card things for my DSi so I can play all my DS games on the go without much of a hassle (or purchase).

I also know that feel with StreetPass, until I realized that it's really useless and the games are shite so I just left that alone.

Keldryn

Arcane
There are only two things in the StreetPass Mii Plaza that I bother with: the Puzzle Swap and Warrior's Way.

There are some cool StreetPass features in a number of 3DS games though, like your wandering demon in Shin Megami Tensei IV, shadow Link battles in A Link Between Worlds, visitor team battles in Fire Emblem: Awakening, town inhabitants in Bravely Default etc. None of those things are necessary, but they are cool and have some gameplay value.

Avellion

Erudite
Got Fantasy Life.

It is nowhere near as well made as Rune Factory 4, but it is fun with co-oping with friends. Shame that the game is piss easy really, maybe I shall do the whole thing unarmored. Anyone else got the game?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nope.

I am however hoping for Legend of Legacy to get localized. It's basically a SaGa game in everything but the name.
Main site: http://www.cs.furyu.jp/legendoflegacy/
Screens(can't be arsed to copy/paste all of them): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=896792
it4BnbZGOZLJJ.jpg
ieaamzRdylZyR.jpg
iXzg6a8fz0ktR.jpg
inQqVeXI7arvo.jpg

Staff:
Director: Masataka Matsura
Image Illustration: Tomomi Kobayashi (SaGa franchise character illustrator)
Game Design: Kyoji Koizumi (SaGa franchise battle designer)
Character Design: Ryo Hirao
Background Art: Misako Tsutsui (ex-S-E background artist)
Monster Design: Yuichiro Kojima (ex-S-E texture artist), Ryoji Shimogama (ex-S-E creature designer)
Composer: Masashi Hamauzu (I hear he makes good music)
Sound Editor: Kenichi Saito
Text Direction: Masato Kato (wrote for Chrono Trigger and Xenogears, wrote and directed Chrono Cross)
Narration: Emiko Shiratori
Title Logo Design: Tadahiko Kawaguchi
Movie Design: Shuhei Yamagata

Siveon

Bot
I saw that, it even looks like the SaGa remake on the DS (which was fan-translated, if I recall).

:d1p:?

Blackguard

Learned
Great, it finally escaped from development hell! Now I just hope it will reach Europe in reasonable time.

If we are lucky it might release here in 2016. Basically Jan 2015 Japan release, late 2015 NA, and then maybe EU release in 2016.

Edit: Also to answer the original question 3ds is definitely worth it. Even more so if you didn't have DS since 3ds is fully BC.

Martius

Liturgist
If we are lucky it might release here in 2016. Basically Jan 2015 Japan release, late 2015 NA, and then maybe EU release in 2016.

Edit: Also to answer the original question 3ds is definitely worth it. Even more so if you didn't have DS since 3ds is fully BC.
Well, english translation will probably took some time since both Atlus and Atlus USA have lots of projects right now but I hope Europe will get this game faster. Soon Persona Q and Ultimax will be released pretty fast for EU, with next game such tempo could be just standard.
As for 3ds, maybe right now its better to wait for new 3ds (eh, Nintendo and its hardware names...). Strange enough, Australia will get it soon so we should get more information on that version.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
SMT IV news next week is what Atlus has tweeted. I have already said that I won't get the game but I though at least one person would be interested to know. They did say that the game would release at the end of this month.

Martius

Liturgist
Right.... That is still going on. I will probably buy it since 20 euro is decent price but some other people are getting really mad since its pretty much delay of another delay. On the other hand it looks like Rune Factory 4 (EU release was cancelled some time ago since studio which made the game and was supposed to make pal version was closed) will be released, just on eshop like SMT4. Thats always good news, it will be just ironic if that will manage to get out faster than SMT4.

Avellion

Erudite
That SaGa successor looks good. Let's just hope it is as challenging as previous entries (I always felt SaGa was a pretty good challenge compared to how piss easy Final Fantasy is).

Right.... That is still going on. I will probably buy it since 20 euro is decent price but some other people are getting really mad since its pretty much delay of another delay. On the other hand it looks like Rune Factory 4 (EU release was cancelled some time ago since studio which made the game and was supposed to make pal version was closed) will be released, just on eshop like SMT4. Thats always good news, it will be just ironic if that will manage to get out faster than SMT4.
Now, that would be hilarious.

Blackguard

Learned

Nice to hear that RF4 is finally getting released here.

Also it would be easy to be angry at Atlus, and for a good reason, but if people don't buy stuff like SMTIV the only result will be proving Atlus right about there not being being big enough market in EU for games like it. They definitely won't see the poor sales as a sign to shape up and release niche games faster.

Martius

Liturgist
Also it would be easy to be angry at Atlus, and for a good reason, but if people don't buy stuff like SMTIV the only result will be proving Atlus right about there not being being big enough market in EU for games like it. They definitely won't see the poor sales as a sign to shape up and release niche games faster.
I completely agree, I just hope folks at Atlus are aware that sales numbers are not going to be anything impressive. Next few months will be packed with release and in worst case they could delay it even further to October, when Persona Q will be released. I know that people should vote with their wallets but some probably just wont care after so long time.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron

Nice to hear that RF4 is finally getting released here.

You're right, but I vote with my wallet. I don't buy digital games on Nintendo platforms in the first place, and now we get the game in digital only form a lot later than North America.

I have bought several Atlus games for NDS/3DS including Radiant Historia (despite it not getting a European release), Devil Survivor Overclocked and Devil Survivor 2 and Luminous Arc 2 (published). Devil Survivor 2, I got thanks to Ghostlight crowdfunding. Atlus can go suck on a lollipop, I buy their games, but that doesn't mean that they don't treat European customers like turd. I will not buy SMT IV for this very simple reason.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
People not buying their games in Europe is why Europeans get treated like a turd though. Its a vicious cycle.

Legend of Legacy sounds good. SaGa 2 was one of my favorite games on the GameBoy color. Might make up for the so far disappointment of Bravely Default.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
People not buying their games in Europe is why Europeans get treated like a turd though. Its a vicious cycle.

Legend of Legacy sounds good. SaGa 2 was one of my favorite games on the GameBoy color. Might make up for the so far disappointment of Bravely Default.

As I said, I have bought most of their DS/3DS games, but this time, they won't get my money. Radiant Historia wasn't even released in Europe and I imported it.

Legend of Legacy:
According to the site, after a number of people went in search of a legend, the continent known as Avalon, which had once disappeared, has reawakened. The site says that it still remains unknown whether there will be stairs that lead to paradise or a door that leads to the abyss. The story is about the truth about what was left behind by the old gods.

Ten years prior, a mysterious island suddenly surfaced in the distant northern sea. According to legends, this place was once called Avalon, a giant island big enough to be classified as a continent, a place that had a country where the gods once lived and prospered.

Since then, many adventurers and researchers have gone to explore the island, but due to Avalon’s peculiar landform and monsters, research and exploration hasn’t made much progress.

According to early explorers, they saw “spirits” in Avalon. While these spirits can’t normally be seen by humans, they are plainly visible on this island for some unknown reason. While there are many opinions as to just why this is, a common theory says that it could be due to the “inherited” power left behind by the gods.

Each part of Avalon has a numerous amount of tools and buildings left behind, which one wouldn’t expect to see in a regular civilization. Perhaps they hold the key to why these spirits are visible to those who visit the island.

One of the legends about Avalon revolves around the “Star Graal” (grail). The Star Graal is one of the properties left behind by the gods, that is said to grant “eternity” to its owner, which is speculated to be the secret to immortality.

Due to the rumors about the Star Graal and its ability to grant immortal life, it’s one of the factors that many adventurers have traveled to Avalon in hopes of amassing riches from the grail. However, one has yet to see the Star Graal, and thus, it still remains a legend.

The town of Initium is located on the south end of Avalon, and is currently its only town. It’s the home base for adventurers that seek various legends, and many adventurers travel here day and night.

The lord who lives in a building on top of the hill actually was the first person to discover Avalon island, and is a self-proclaimed “Adventure King”. It took him ten years to build the town of Initium.

A little more here.
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/10/08/legend-legacys-design-originated-first-piece-artwork/

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Legend of Legacy character select screen.
BzlCV-7CUAAk2hB.png:large

:desu:I want this but I won't get it.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The 3ds feels too flimsy in my hands to even think about playing a game like smash bros on it. You just hold it and feel the plastic back creaking, I don't even want to imagine heavy use of the circle pad and button mashing.

Gone are the days of the solid feeling of the gameboy line.

Avellion

Erudite
I just bought Smash Bros and I'm not ashamed to admit it

I have the game too, aint ashamed of it either. Trollling people online as Rosalina Nintendo's Lightning is more fun than it should be.

The 3ds feels too flimsy in my hands to even think about playing a game like smash bros on it. You just hold it and feel the plastic back creaking, I don't even want to imagine heavy use of the circle pad and button mashing.

Gone are the days of the solid feeling of the gameboy line.
Super Smash Bros for 3DS has gotten rather notorious for breaking 3DSes.

Amn Nom

Learned
So much Bravely Default influence in the character designs. If the game isn't grind heavy I'll be all over it, the 3DS could use more JRPGs that aren't shit.

Siveon

Bot
So much Bravely Default influence in the character designs. If the game isn't grind heavy I'll be all over it, the 3DS could use more JRPGs that aren't shit.

Too bad Bravely Default was grind heavy as shit. I also don't see the similarities in character design, it's just your typical deformed polygons.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron

Too bad Bravely Default was grind heavy as shit. I also don't see the similarities in character design, it's just your typical deformed polygons.
It really wasn't. At leasy not if you tried to max out your jobs before chapter 5. Or if you wanted to max out every class with every character.

I played half the game with random encounters turned off.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Legend of Legacy combat screen.
B0ONATCCUAAx4IY.jpg:large

B0CyIT6IAAEwR8h.jpg:large

Bz-DsskCEAAmEGT.jpg:large

Bz1EhGwCcAAc-bX.jpg:large

as you may have guessed, the essence of what makes an rpg great is it's battle system. On the occasion of getting asked where this this games "magic" (as in greatness) comes from, we would respond by saying it's due to it being battle heavy. More detailed information on the battle system to be released soon. please look forward to it.
one of the reasons why abalons search isn't progressing is the existance of a nest-building bird monster. there is a great variety of monsteres roaming the fields like birds, bugs and other creatures, trying to stop the player from progressing. If you happen to run into one of them, a battle starts.
if you make you character move on the upper screen, the lower screen map will be filled in automatically (following your footsteps, making the system convinient). this is acting as the foundation of your search, creating a map of Avalon as you battle monsters
when you encounter some ruins, you will receive a new map. In an uncharted land like avalon, information is worth more than anything. a map where you can fill in detailed information will be available to adventures for large sums of money. filling in this (special?) map is going to become a fun activity.
(sorry for the last part... but I think you get the meaning)

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Legend of Legacy combat screen.
B0ONATCCUAAx4IY.jpg:large

B0CyIT6IAAEwR8h.jpg:large

Bz-DsskCEAAmEGT.jpg:large

Bz1EhGwCcAAc-bX.jpg:large

That looks kind of cool, but Legend of Legacy?? Is that seriously the game's name? Like what? They figured Divine Divinity was a great, groundbreaking naming convention so that's what they should go for?

I suppose technically, the name is slightly less stupid, but not by a lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom