Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Alpha Protocol: It Doesn't Look Like A RPG

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol; Obsidian Entertainment

Kotaku <a href="http://kotaku.com/5468587/alpha-protocol-impressions-looks-deceive?skyline=true&s=i">previews Alpha Protocol.</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;"><b>It Doesn't Look Like A Role-Playing Game</b>: At least the Mass Effect games are science fiction, which makes it possible that someone might mistake one of them for being a role-playing game, even though they look like shooters. Obsidian's Alpha Protocol, built like Mass Effect in the Unreal Engine 3 but set in the modern world of a James Bond or Jason Bourne sort of spy, really does look like a third-person shooter. I watched a Sega producer play part of one of the game's early levels during a demo of the title in New York City last week and it sure looked like he was playing a third-person machine-gun raid of a Middle Eastern military complex. I needed the producer to tell me that the size of the gun's targeting reticule was affected by some of the player-character's gun-oriented stats. I needed him to remind me that he was activating various earned perks that would, for example, briefly display enemy positions on a mini-map before needing to shut off for a cool-down period. In other words, I needed him to remind me of the underlying stat-based, RPG-ness of this game. It's not obvious at a glance.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
AP: the future of RPGs?
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#14362">Not Gamebanshee</A>

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
At least the Mass Effect games are science fiction, which makes it possible that someone might mistake one of them for being a role-playing game, even though they look like shooters. Obsidian's Alpha Protocol, built like Mass Effect in the Unreal Engine 3 but set in the modern world of a James Bond or Jason Bourne sort of spy, really does look like a third-person shooter.
Kotaku - we're a bunch of stupid fucks!

DriacKin

Arbiter
For what it's worth, Kotaku's definition of a perfect 'RPG' is Final Fantasy. They would probably look at Fallout/Arcanum and say that those games aren't RPGs.

That being said, AP is looking more and more like it's gonna be dumbed down consoletard garbage.

Black

Arcane
DriacKin said:
That being said, AP is looking more and more like it's gonna be dumbed down consoletard garbage.
So consoletards will love it, a genius plan by Obsidian to make their fortune?

DriacKin

Arbiter
Dude who wrote the article said:
Pardon me if I'm missing other precedents for the kind of optional wide-ranging consequences I so enjoyed in 2007 Xbox 360 open-world game Crackdown. But that game is my point of reference for the idea that making a decision in one corner of a game world can suddenly have sweeping affects on much of the rest of the world.
:rage: :rage: :rage:

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So Bioware gets away with the exact same thing because Mass Effect is Sci-fi? That's perhaps one of the most retarded arguments I've ever heard. You perceive the game-mechanics differently because of the setting? Fucking Kotaku.

Mattresses

Scholar
Kotaku said:
I needed the producer to tell me that the size of the gun's targeting reticule was affected by some of the player-character's gun-oriented stats. I needed him to remind me that he was activating various earned perks that would, for example, briefly display enemy positions on a mini-map before needing to shut off for a cool-down period.

Go back to sleep, Codexia, it's an RPG after all. Stat-controlled shooter mechanics and quest compasses. Go back to sleep, Codexia, video games media is in control again.

Chaud

Novice
Lockkaliber said:
So Bioware gets away with the exact same thing because Mass Effect is Sci-fi? That's perhaps one of the most retarded arguments I've ever heard. You perceive the game-mechanics differently because of the setting? Fucking Kotaku.

Well, that's it. If Bioware make a shitty game, it's HEAVAN. If Obsidian make one, it's only a bad shooter. How unexpected. :lol:

Texas Red

Whiner
You guys remember the hype for MotB? All they showed was combat. Only few months before the release, nobody knew what it would be about other than it having shitty epic levels. Then this QA shows up with his review, claiming that it's the Second Coming of PS:T. It was a puzzle as to why Obsidian decided to promo their game then with unbearable awful combat and ugly graphics and it's probably now as well. Probably the almighty Marketing Department is behind this.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"You guys remember the hype for MotB?"

You guys remember the hype for SOZ? It washyped up to be a fun old skewl game yet it ended up being one of the shittiest games ever fuckin' made.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Weather we like it or not, we have to face the realities of the market. If Bioware had gone the other way with ME2, i.e. make it more RPG and less shooter than ME1, it would have got lower review scores and sold about 90% less copies.

Obsidien is going for the exact same market with AP.

The casual gamers and consoletards have taken over our beloved hobby and there's not a damn thing we can do about it. Video games are no longer a niche market. In fact gaming is now the no. 1 entertainment medium on the planet - bigger than movies, TV and music (in monetary terms - not necessarily participation rates).

It is how it is and it's not going to change anytime soon. All we can do is hope that bigger market attracts more indie's who may cater to our needs.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Dark Individual said:
You guys remember the hype for MotB? All they showed was combat. Only few months before the release, nobody knew what it would be about other than it having shitty epic levels. Then this QA shows up with his review, claiming that it's the Second Coming of PS:T. It was a puzzle as to why Obsidian decided to promo their game then with unbearable awful combat and ugly graphics and it's probably now as well. Probably the almighty Marketing Department is behind this.

Is it so unfathomable? News of good it being a good RPG will reach "us" eventually (bar Skyway et al who won't play it since marketing depicted it as epic fail shootery action), if it actually is good.

More important to draw the consoletards in to buying what they think will be shooter-action just to find out they have to read... you know, stuff.

At least the above theory makes me envision some dude in his basement going "Wat ze fack! Y is ma scope moving witout me touchin' da mauze?!? GAME IS BUGGY POS!"

A pretty enticing picture.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"i.e. make it more RPG and less shooter than ME1, it would have got lower review scores and sold about 90% less copies. "

Bullshitz. DA disproves your theory.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
The only hope I hold for AP, is remembering watching previews for Deus Ex before it's release and thinking... "meh - just another shitty shooter".

There's one in a million chance that it will approach that level though.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Volourn said:
"i.e. make it more RPG and less shooter than ME1, it would have got lower review scores and sold about 90% less copies. "

Bullshitz. DA disproves your theory.

No it doesn't. DA sold well, but nothing like ME2 has. Besides, DA had it's fair share of dumbing down also. So if anything it proves it - the more "streamlined" you make your RPG's, the better they will sell.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"No it doesn't. DA sold well, but nothing like ME2 has."

Proof please. I kallz bullshitz on youz.

P.S. On top of that, no way could DA review scores be that much higher than it already is nor did it sell 90% less than ME2.

P.S. Numbers to think about..

DA has shipped 3mil+ copies.

ME2 sold 571k copies on the 360 in January (albeit it only came out the last week).

BIO's games typically sell 2mil-3mil copies.

So, don't be fuckin' stupid.

Dionysus

Scholar
Volourn said:

ME2 sold 571k copies on the 360 in January (albeit it only came out the last week).
The 360 version of DA sold 362k in November. November is traditionally a stronger month than January, and DA came out in the first week of November, whereas ME2 came out right at the end of January. These are just NA 360 estimates, but the ME2 number is much more impressive.

DriacKin said:
Dude who wrote the article said:
Pardon me if I'm missing other precedents for the kind of optional wide-ranging consequences I so enjoyed in 2007 Xbox 360 open-world game Crackdown. But that game is my point of reference for the idea that making a decision in one corner of a game world can suddenly have sweeping affects on much of the rest of the world.
:rage: :rage: :rage:

OK, I'll :rage: with you, but this sounds like it could be a decent consoletard game. Anyone tried it? Also, he did admit that he had no idea of what other good games have done, so at least he's not blissfully ignorant.

For the record: ME2 obviously is selling more then DA. Though it probably has as much to do with the fact that it has to be so dumbed down to be playable on consoles in the first place.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Volourn said:
"No it doesn't. DA sold well, but nothing like ME2 has."

P.S. On top of that, no way could DA review scores be that much higher than it already is nor did it sell 90% less than ME2.

P.S. Numbers to think about..

BIO's games typically sell 2mil-3mil copies.

So, don't be fuckin' stupid.

Shit, I don't know where you're getting your numbers from Volly. It's true DA has sold approx. 3.2 million copies total so far. But ME2 sold 2 million on the 360 alone in the first week:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177757

Across both platforms to date ME2 has sold at least twice that of DA. Don't forget DA:O is available on the PS3 as well.

As for review scores, 95.61% on Gamerankings - making it the 14th highest reviewed game of all time (across all systems and removing dups), as opposed to 90.49% for the PC version of DA. (those few percent are huge - you won't find DA anywhere in the top 50).

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Brother None said:
Volourn said:

DA:O shipped 3.2 mil copies by Feb 9, 3 months after release.

Mass Effect two sold 2 million copies in its first week.

Thank you.

Of course this sends a clear message to Biow (and everyone else), that the more "streamlined" you make your RPG's the better they will sell, unfortunately.

It's kinda like when Elvis came out of the army and made "GI Blues" and "Blue Hawaii" (corny musicals), they were box office monster hits - then he made "Flaming Star" (a serious western and a good film) it basiclly bombed. So the public was subjected to corny Elvis musicals for the rest of the 60's.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
DriacKin said:
For what it's worth, Kotaku's definition of a perfect 'RPG' is Final Fantasy. They would probably look at Fallout/Arcanum and say that those games aren't RPGs.

Yep.

And jebus.. ME2 sold 2 mil already. Well EA has their new cash cow now. So will ME now come out like Madden? :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom