Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News KotOR2 official announcement and GameSpot preview

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

The Powers That Be at <a href=http://www.lucasarts.com>LucasArts</a> and <a href=http://www.obsidianent.com>Obsidian Entertainment</a> have decided to take the wraps off of <a href=http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swkotor_sithlords/>Knights of the Old Republic II: Sith Lords</a>. Here's the press release.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Marin County, Calif. – May 4, 2004 – LucasArts today announced its official 2004 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) lineup, which features Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, the follow-up title to last year’s award-winning role-playing game. The original KOTOR™ was released in 2003 and earned widespread acclaim throughout the interactive industry, including more than 35 "Game of the Year" awards. The Sith Lords will be officially unveiled at E3 2004 and will be released for the Xbox video game system from Microsoft and for the PC in February 2005.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Well, I like the simultaneous release part. We'll see how long that lasts.
<br>
<br>
Next, we have a <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/kotor2/preview_6095371.html>preview</a> of the game over at <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc">Gamespot PC</a>. It's for the Xbox version, but it's the same game anyhow.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The remnants of the Sith, who are never in a good mood to begin with, are especially punchy following their battle with the Jedi. As a result, they are preying on the unprotected worlds and are slowly gaining a sizable and dangerous presence. Your role in this darker world is rather vague at the moment. You're something of an enigma at the start of the game--even to yourself--due to the time-honored tradition of memory problems. <b>You'll play as an amnesiac Jedi</b> who, memory loss be damned, has a pivotal role to play in the battle against the Sith and in the fate of the galaxy. Discovering exactly what this role is will be something you'll have to find out as you go through the game. Your journey of self-discovery will also shed some light on why the Sith appear to have it in for you.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
OH COME ON! Will you please drop the amnesiac plotlines, CRPG makers of the world? This is ridiculous! You could put just a little bit of effort into it, MCA. Well, at least you actually know you're a friggin' amnesiac this time around. When I found out that most of my memory was missing in the first KOTOR, I was rather suprised since <i>nobody ever pointed out to me that I couldn't freaking remember who I was.</i>
<br>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
No. You have it all wrong. I have inside sources that says your 'news' article is allw rong.

Spazmo

Erudite
Thanks for being so clear, detailed, unambiguous and not utterly useless, Volourn. So then KotOR 2 was not announced and GameSpot did not run a preview of it? Or maybe you'd care to elaborate?

Voss

Erudite
At this point I actually miss "Well, you meet in a bar and decide to adventure together..."

And of course, since you don't remember anything and the Sith have an interest in you, you must have a Destiny.

So many amnesiac heroes, so little point. Its a wonder they can dress themselves, let alone save the universe, what with all the brain damage.
And oh look, a world's blowing up. (one of the 'screenshots')
Huzzah.
Why are these things cliches?

Gromnir

Liturgist
"The player does not have amnesia, does not start the game with amnesia, does not get amnesia over the course of the game, and he/she is quite clear who, what, and where he is at all times. Nor does he/she have any problems with memory, lurking pseudo-personalities, multiple personality disorders, submerged personalities, or any personality problems except what you induce through gameplay by being a nice guy, a jerk, or both." -chris avellone

as 'tween gamespot and cgw and chris a, we think chris a probably knows best, no? then 'gain, folks here seems amazingly resilient to reason.

HA! Good Fun!

Anonymous

Anyone wanna bet you start off in a enclosed place, and it's either under attack or you must fight your way out?

Gromnir

Liturgist
lg,

point of information: the quote in your sig that you attribute to sp is in point of fact a quote from the first conan movie... and that quote, the one from movie, is actually a bastardization of a quote most commonly attributed to genghis khan.

"the greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to take the finest of their horses between your knees and to clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."

is numerous variations we seen, but the above is as good as any.

and folks said you wouldn’t learn nothing on this board.

HA! Good Fun!

Anonymous

Actually, I quoted it from him because he enjoys conquering villages and laminating people.

Gromnir

Liturgist
no doubt the women and children deserved to be laminated... though we can't figure out why anybody would wish to seal womens and childrens in plastic.

HA! Good Fun!

Voss

Erudite
Ah, well, if Chris has said otherwise, I guess the one thing I've heard so far (in regards to the characters mental state) is wrong. Its not a resilence against reason so much as it is only having read one erroneous article (gamespots). But given that this stuff was announced today, I can't help but forgive this glaringly huge hole in my knowledge of Kotor 2. I can only hope that Chris A, in his benevolence, will forgive this horrible transgression as well.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Thank you for your compliments (even if they are sarcastic), Spazmo. As Grom has nicely, unlike me, pointed out, I'd believe a dev over a silly magazine or sily Internet Geek News Forum any day.

But, hey, if you want to just put news up from sources which are wrong 25% of the time and not make sure they're accurate, tjhat's up to you. :twisted:

After all, how often do you criticize other "news groups" when they get things wrong or don't check facts? hmm..

All is fair when it works both ways.

Good fun. :cool:

Spazmo

Erudite
Volourn and Gromnir said:

Of course I'll take MCA's word on this. But you'll forgive me for being taken in by an article on a major gaming news site--I guess I should have anticipated the May 4th Fools, eh? Besides that, it's not like I'm going to search the Obsidian Forums every damn time I post anything about KOTOR2 to make sure it's not a lie. The blame here lies with GameSpot for posting erroneous information.

And I still say that posting just "No. You have it all wrong. I have inside sources that says your 'news' article is allw rong." is totally unhelpful. Say what you will about the Codex, but we generally don't appreciate people just saying "No you're wrong" and assuming we'll take their word on it.

FYI, replies composed entirely of :roll: aren't worth much either.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Eh. The Codex does that all the time then they add a bunch of stuff ridiculing the target. My point is often times you guys (and often rightly so) make fun of others for not doing research, or checking their facts. The fatc that you took Gamespot at their word is kind of funny consideirng they are one of the most targeted when it comes to ridicule here. Meh. My main beef, though, is that not 1 minute before I read your "news post' I had just read the facts from Obsidian. If, I, the lowly fool can figure out not to rant or whine before the facts are actually know; The All Great Spaz Attack too espicially sicne you passed someone else's poor work as being news when it was just plain wrong.

As for being helpful? I wa shelpful. I told you it was wrong. That way you could get the correct the mistake and then there'd be no problem. Hence, I amde youa ware their was a problem with your news bit. That's half the solution right there.

Be. No harm; no foul. Longlasting anyways.

plin

Liturgist
So, what are all the CRPGs that use an amnesia plotline?
Planescape, KOTOR... and what else?

And your character didn't really have amnesia, and didn't know he had amnesia. Wasn't he brainwashed by some jedi?

Grefter

Novice
Eh? What is the big deal here? They posted that Gamespot had a preview and a chunk of information from the preview. They didn't claim to have some big inside scoop, its freaking quoting someone not making a claim, why should they have to research into someone elses article when it is merely being linked to? Gamespot should have their shit together.

Besides Spazmo said it was a retarded idea, and amazing it was and MCA agrees with him. So, what the fuck is your problem?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
There's a simple explanation for all this. After writing the story, MCA got amnesia and forgot he wrote a plot about a Jedi with amnesia.

Spazmo

Erudite
Volourn said:
more stuff

...right. Rather than bash my head against the inert brick wall that is Volourn, I'll just let you win this one.

Now what I'd like to know is exactly how the fuck GameSpot dug up this amnesiac crap?

Anonymous

plin said:

And your character didn't really have amnesia, and didn't know he had amnesia. Wasn't he brainwashed by some jedi?

Fallout 3 and Lionheart(I think) used it too, on related RPGs, on non-related, Gothic 2 used it. There's a load more too, I imagine.

plin

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
Volourn said:
more stuff

...right. Rather than bash my head against the inert brick wall that is Volourn, I'll just let you win this one.

Now what I'd like to know is exactly how the fuck GameSpot dug up this amnesiac crap?

I would think they just used the magazines as their source since I thought I read on a forum that a magazine said something about amnesia.

plin

Liturgist
LlamaGod said:
plin said:

Fallout 3 and Lionheart used it too, on related RPGs, on non-related, Gothic 2 used it. There's a load more too, I imagine.
the fuck, FO3 didn't use it. And how did gothic 2 use it???

edit: about FO3, people thought the devs said that, but they said you only black out when the bots get you, you still know who you are when you wake up, just not where you are.

Seven

Erudite
plin said:
LlamaGod said:
plin said:

Fallout 3 and Lionheart used it too, on related RPGs, on non-related, Gothic 2 used it. There's a load more too, I imagine.
the fuck, FO3 didn't use it. And how did gothic 2 use it???

edit: about FO3, people thought the devs said that, but they said you only black out when the bots get you, you still know who you are when you wake up, just not where you are.

How do you know FO3 didn't/wouldn't have used it; this MCA we're talking about.

Fireblade

Erudite
Similar to amnesia, but not quite the same, is some lack of recognition of what you are, I guess... Baldur's Gate (didn't know about the Baal thing), Lionheart (didn't know I had a "spirit"), Deus Ex 2 (didn't know I was a clone of Denton) all used that technique. Close, but not the same thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom