Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Alpha Protocol Review Extravaganza

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>More reviews surfaced and the consensus seems to be that the game might be a *slight* disappointment.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/alphaprotocol/review.html" target="_blank">Gamespot 6/10.</a></p>
<blockquote>
<p>Alpha Protocol's ambitions are commendable, and if you're a role-playing fanatic, you'll enjoy investigating its intricacies. It's unfortunate that its various ingredients are so undercooked. The flaky cover system, the mediocre production values, the fundamental blemishes gone unchecked--these elements add up quickly and drag the experience down. The elaborate storytelling and character progression are impressive. It's too bad that the gawky, glitchy gameplay can't rise to the same standard.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><a href="http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/62110/alpha-protocol/review/" target="_blank">G4 2/5.</a></p>
<blockquote>
<p>Obsidian has the talent. We've seen the studio make great games that merge action and role-playing before. But in this instance their intel was bad and the mission a failure. From a squandered setting to dysfunctional gameplay to numerous bugs, it&rsquo;s very difficult to recommend <em>Alpha Protocol </em>to nearly anyone beyond the most masochistically hardcore RPG fan. But even to those still considering, I&rsquo;d lend this piece of advice: Treat <em>Alpha Protocol </em>like a covert government operation.&nbsp; Pretend like it never existed.&nbsp;</p>
</blockquote>
<div id="TixyyLink" style="overflow: hidden; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; border: medium none;"><a href="http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3179545" target="_blank">1UP is a bit more positive about it, B+.</a></div>
<blockquote>
<p>Meanwhile, the plot sends you bouncing from one exotic location to another, which should be expected. What's surprising here is just how well the game manages to convey a sense of location. A safe house serves as a mission hub for each of the game's cities, and the unique architecture and style of each one really sells the idea that you've set up shop in Taiwan or Moscow.</p>
<p>Finally, it's probably worth mentioning that Alpha Protocol isn't a terribly long game. You could probably blow through the main plot in about a dozen hours, depending on how sidetracked you want to get with optional missions. That's not actually a bad thing, though. So much of the dialogue and story changes depend on your choices that it's absolutely worth revisiting at least once after the credits roll.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98065-alpha-protocol-reviews.html">GB</a></p>

CraigCWB

Educated
Gamespot 6/10. Alpha Protocol's ambitions are commendable, and if you're a role-playing fanatic, you'll enjoy investigating its intricacies.

A roleplaying "fanatic" will enjoy a half ass shooter with lots of dialog? I thought this type of game was meant to appeal to action game fans who wanted something extra? Don't "roleplaying fanatics" enjoy pure roleplaying games?

It's effing bizarre for somebody who actually works in the game industry to say stuff like that.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well. I think that, unfortunately, it's a matter of time for Obsidian to go out of business. AP was either going to make them, or break them, and it's obviously going to be a commercial failure. I don't think New Vegas can change this.

Felix

Arcane
What about all those European reviews, or we just pretend Europe doesn't exist ?

Angthoron

Arcane
They don't scream AAA and 100/100, unfortunately. A B for many is already a reason enough not to bother - especially on the consoletard markets that AP was meant to cash in on.

It's a real pity with Obsidian, they have talent and ambition, but time after time they fail to implement it. They need better managers and directors.

And I don't mean EA-style management, just competent sort.

hoochimama

Liturgist
"Obsidian has the talent. We've seen the studio make great games that merge action and role-playing before."

Obsidian merged action and rpg before? Did I miss something?

Calis

Pensionado
Ok, so far the reviews are quite horrible. Unfortunately, my order already shipped, so my € 23.50 are gone, GONE!

We'll see.

Redshirt #42

Augur
Well, it's definitely not as bad as the reviews say. The combat is pretty much the same as in ME2, except the camera sucks and the AI is a bit worse. It is a bit less popamole though and I'd say that AP's normal difficulty is more challening than ME2 on Insane (then again that's because of the fucked up camera and a cover system that doesn't always work or make you completely invulnerable). There's certainly some C&C and you get some freedom after you've completed the first mission.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"What about all those European reviews, or we just pretend Europe doesn't exist ?"

If only I could since that continent created Hitler. Yes, Yes indeed. I went THERE.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Calis said:
Ok, so far the reviews are quite horrible. Unfortunately, my order already shipped, so my € 23.50 are gone, GONE!

We'll see.

bro why did you have to pay only 23.50€, this is an OUTRAGE

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Calis said:

We'll see.

Mine hasn't shipped but I'm going to believe that all the reviews are made by totally stupid people who don't know what a good game is. That and I'm using a gift card on the game.

Cabazone

Educated
Felix said:
What about all those European reviews, or we just pretend Europe doesn't exist ?
Like I have said on another topic, Omar Boulon from CPC (the guy who have put 6/10 to Fallout 3) have granted Alpha protocol of one 9/10 (and this isn't IGN, very few games can get a 9 with CPC).

Well, O. boulon is an enthousiastic fellow and he often fall into the hype train. But despite that, he's more credible than almost all other critic we have seen so far. So, there is still hope left.

CraigCWB

Educated
POOPERSCOOPER said:
Mine hasn't shipped but I'm going to believe that all the reviews are made by totally stupid people who don't know what a good game is. That and I'm using a gift card on the game.

That's probably true, but unfortunately the same totally stupid people who don't know what a good game is seem to be the ones who decide what passes for an RPG and what doesn't, these days. Why in the hell is it only the RPG genre that gets bastardized like this?

CraigCWB

Educated
And another thing! Why are all these reviewers saying only "hardcore" RPG fans will like this game? This game was never intended to appeal to "hardcore" RPG fans! It was intended to appeal to console gamers and the casual crowd. The console crowd and the casual gamers won't like it because as a shooter it's hosed, so by default RPG fans will love it? WTF kind of sense does that make?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Everyone knows that hardcore RPG fans refers to people who played Fallout 3.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I haven't played AP but from what I gather, it is a mixed bag. That said I wonder how it relates to excrements like Oblivion that received perfect scores.

Zomg

Arbiter
"Sega fails to engineer hypegasm; game quality of no consequence"

Ausir

Arcane
Melcar said:
Bullshit.

50 Kodex Kool Points that Obsidian bites the dust soon after this.

Doubtful, given how New Vegas is likely going to sell much better, thanks to Bethesda's hype machine.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up being bought out by ZeniMax.

CraigCWB said:
And another thing! Why are all these reviewers saying only "hardcore" RPG fans will like this game? This game was never intended to appeal to "hardcore" RPG fans! It was intended to appeal to console gamers and the casual crowd. The console crowd and the casual gamers won't like it because as a shooter it's hosed, so by default RPG fans will love it? WTF kind of sense does that make?

Well, I am an RPG fan and it does appeal to me. And it actually does appeal to more RPG fans than console gamers, mostly thanks to well-done choices and consequences bit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom