Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial The Replay Value of RPGs

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

<p>What would be more appropriate than to research this issue by example of two of the greatest Roleplaying Games of all time. Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2. At least such is <a href="http://www.bitmob.com/articles/the-replay-value-of-rpgs" target="_blank">the approach of Bitmob</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Should developers worry about how replayable an RPG is? Should it be a concern at all when what really matters is whether their fan base buys the next sequel in the series or not? More importantly, how many people replay games and what elements do most players find lend themselves to replayability anyway?</p>
<p>I don't know the answers to any of these questions, but I do know an RPG with replay value when I see it. And while I played the original Mass Effect, as well as Fallout 3, Dragon Age: Origins, and Alpha Protocol, all multiple times, I didn't play Mass Effect 2 more than once. One play through and the game's mysteries, mechanics as well as story, were laid bare, and I couldn't even force myself to play it again.</p>
<p>But beyond my own personal need to replay Western RPGs, there's also the issue of downloadable content (DLC). Bioware has pushed DLC hard for both Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins, with frequent releases that add new characters, quests, and items. And while I have purchased and played all available DLC for Dragon Age: Origins, I have yet to play any of it for Mass Effect 2.</p>
<p>Why is this? If the story was worth experiencing once shouldn't the DLC also be worth checking out? I think it comes down to the same reason I don't ever play action games more than once and almost never buy single player DLC for them. After I've experienced the game world, learned the controls and game mechanics, I don't want to go back.</p>
<p>A relatively complex Western RPG has enough depth to make experiencing it more than once compelling, and furthermore, it lends itself well to DLC, which might deepen or change the experience even more. An action game like Mass Effect 2, on the other hand, has already played all of its cards, so unless you typically enjoy playing the same experience over and over again, it holds little intrigue.</p>
<p>But I have a hard time believing a developer like Bioware is concerned with a small segment of its fan base and their need for complex role playing experiences. They see the action genre as the place where the money is, and they are streamlining their games to tap into it. If that means Mass Effect 3 or Dragon Age 2 are single shot experiences, so be it.</p>
<p>The only bright spot in all of this are those developers who have yet to abandon such RPGs. Bethesda Softworks, for example, the developer of Oblivion and Fallout 3, both highly replayable action RPGs, seem firmly committed to continuing to give players complexity and depth in their games. I for one will continue to give my money to the developer who does likewise, while I'll likely only rent games from developers whose games offer little replay value.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Well, a man with such an impressive RPG back catalogue certainly knows an RPG with replay value when he sees it.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98812-the-replay-value-of-rpgs.html">GB</a></p>

Angthoron

Arcane
Konjad said:
What the fuck, no Fallout 3? :decline:

A Professional Game Journalist said:
The only bright spot in all of this are those developers who have yet to abandon such RPGs. Bethesda Softworks, for example, the developer of Oblivion and Fallout 3, both highly replayable action RPGs, seem firmly committed to continuing to give players complexity and depth in their games. I for one will continue to give my money to the developer who does likewise, while I'll likely only rent games from developers whose games offer little replay value.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Good set-up and timing, I laughed.

Western gamers, those of us who grew up with The Bard's Tale, Dungeon Master, the Ultima series, and more recently, games like Baldur's Gate, are usually looking for RPGs that don't just include great stories. We want all of the elements I've already discussed, but then also ask for complex dialogue trees, multiple characters, branching story lines, and game play that changes with every decision the player makes.
Did he actually play those titles he listed..?

In other words, a Western RPG isn't like a pen and paper or Japanese RPG. It is generally a more complex game that gives players a great deal of freedom while also giving them a great story.
Up is down, black is white, Bethesda gives players complexity and depth.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Roguey said:
Good set-up and timing, I laughed.

Western gamers, those of us who grew up with The Bard's Tale, Dungeon Master, the Ultima series, and more recently, games like Baldur's Gate, are usually looking for RPGs that don't just include great stories. We want all of the elements I've already discussed, but then also ask for complex dialogue trees, multiple characters, branching story lines, and game play that changes with every decision the player makes.

In other words, a Western RPG isn't like a pen and paper or Japanese RPG. It is generally a more complex game that gives players a great deal of freedom while also giving them a great story.
Up is down, black is white, Bethesda gives players complexity and depth.
Are you saying this guy doesn't know what he's talking about? Bro, he played all the great RPGs and he knows an RPG with replay value when he sees it.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
A relatively complex Western RPG has enough depth to make experiencing it more than once compelling, and furthermore, it lends itself well to DLC, which might deepen or change the experience even more. An action game like Mass Effect 2, on the other hand, has already played all of its cards, so unless you typically enjoy playing the same experience over and over again, it holds little intrigue.
I like this guy :smug:
Too bad the rest of the article is completely moronic.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Roguey said:
:what:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Angthoron said:
A Professional Game Journalist said:
The only bright spot in all of this are those developers who have yet to abandon such RPGs. Bethesda Softworks, for example, the developer of Oblivion and Fallout 3, both highly replayable action RPGs, seem firmly committed to continuing to give players complexity and depth in their games. I for one will continue to give my money to the developer who does likewise, while I'll likely only rent games from developers whose games offer little replay value.

hitler-is-amused.jpg

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Melcar said:
How can people have so much levels of retard and still be alive? It baffles the mind.

What a good old classic shit post. Melcar you are a p. cool guy. The question is, if you're implying that people are retards (because they aren't knowledgeable about video games which is a perfectly good reason if you ask me), then that means that others are smart, and that would include you, which is fucking convenient and not at all self-indulging, I admire your character melcar you are a p. cool guy you don't wallow in pointless ego-boosting, you're above that shit, truly you don't belong on the codex you should go somewhere more tasteful and stimulating

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Serious_Business said:
Melcar said:
How can people have so much levels of retard and still be alive? It baffles the mind.

What a good old classic shit post. Melcar you are a p. cool guy. The question is, if you're implying that people are retards (because they aren't knowledgeable about video games which is a perfectly good reason if you ask me), then that means that others are smart, and that would include you, which is fucking convenient and not at all self-indulging, I admire your character melcar you are a p. cool guy you don't wallow in pointless ego-boosting, you're above that shit, truly you don't belong on the codex you should go somewhere more tasteful and stimulating

Man, I like you cause you're consistent, you can always expect some serious fucking business on your posts.

Phelot

Arcane
I've never heard of this site, but as soon as saw the URL I expected to see cutesy geek-chic blocky pixel text like in "vintage" video games and sure enough...

Another "gaming" site. I bet the author has a t-shirt that says "Game Over" in old Nintendo font.

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Five :what-am-I-reading: emotes, and it's still on the first page. Must be a good article. :smug:

AnalogKid

Scholar
Kos_Koa said:
Five :what-am-I-reading: emotes, and it's still on the first page. Must be a good article. :smug:
I think it's that the stupidity in the original article was so ... FFFFUUUUuuuuu ... that there's not really anything worth ripping into. I have enjoyed VoD's quiet lines, though. Actually did LoL.

Norfleet

Most RPGs lack immediate replay value to me. For one, going back to an inept noob character from a well-developed mature character is an unappealing prospect. Secondly, in most cases, content will not diverge significantly from the first playthrough. Unless the game has radically branching paths that make a second playthrough entirely different, antipathy towards the former overcomes desire to see the few new lines that will be encountered: I'll catch the rest on the Youtube.

Therefore, an RPG replay is not really going to occur until after I have largely forgotten the first time I've played through it. If the game is to have replay value, it will need to age well.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Console-kiddie writes shit about console-games.

Also, why the fuck is it split up to SIX fucking pages? It's like a paragraph is now a whole page. A ruse to camouflage the lack of content?

Too bad they require registering for comments. CBA.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom