Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Arcania Delayed

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Gothic 4: Arcania; JoWood Productions

<p>We received word today that those wanting to experience the magic of <a href="http://www.dreamcatchergames.com/arcania_lp/" target="_blank"><strong>Arcania: Gothic 4</strong></a> will have to wait a bit longer.</p>
<blockquote>DreamCatcher Interactive, JoWooD Entertainment &amp; the BVT Group and announce the brief North American release delay of Arcania: Gothic 4. The game was scheduled for an Oct 12th release and has been pushed back one week to October 19th.<br /><br />The game will still be released on October 12th worldwide, and on October 19th in North America.</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Just for NA though. I think the main market for Arcania is Europe to be honest. Germans love everything sword & sorcery.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Excidium said:
Same release day as New Vegas?

How smart.

Indeed. Super smart when you consider they need this game to sell well to survive as a company.

I know why the demo was crap but I am still getting this... I just like exploring worlds, so it takes a reallllllly crappy open-world RPG for me to not even want to play it.

Twinkle

Liturgist
DalekFlay said:
Excidium said:

How smart.

Indeed. Super smart when you consider they need this game to sell well to survive as a company.

I know why the demo was crap but I am still getting this... I just like exploring worlds, so it takes a reallllllly crappy open-world RPG for me to not even want to play it.

Judging by early reviews it's not even open-world.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Twinkle said:
DalekFlay said:
Excidium said:

How smart.

Judging by early reviews it's not even open-world.

This :M

Pablosdog

Prophet
I've heard that this game is almost literally a straight line. Think ME.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
tThis game is retarded piece of shit anyway, who cares?

Oh, wait, Americans... right :smug:

bloodlover

Arcane
Konjad said:
tThis game is retarded piece of shit anyway, who cares?

Oh, wait, Americans... right :smug:

qft.

The game will probably sale better in USA anyway.

Oh well, at least we'll have Fallout on time.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I havent seen anyone commenting on a first review of Arcania (from RPGWatch).

To our surprise Arcania has turned out to be a fairly linear experience. The game only offers a relatively small area where you’ll find a few hours of quests. Once completed you’ll travel to a next area. [...] The island Argaan feels more like a collection of levels than an open, vibrant world.

We got used to the often caricature performances of the voice actors in Gothic 3, this time however the content of the ‘conversations’ reaches such a literary depth even the dialogs of the first ‘Two World’ seem of Shakespearian quality.

The system feels like a combination of Fable and The Witcher and requires some practice and skill to really master. The dangerous monstrosities you’ll be up against are quite evenly matched and you’ll enjoy bashing their brains in. If mindless whacking is your thing, you might want to give Arcania a chance.

Painful verdict

It is remarkable that if you try to forget the fact it’s a Gothic game [...] you might like to play it. Although the game experience is far from phenomenal, it would be unfair to claim the game was really boring.
[...] As latest Gothic game Arcania: Gothic 4 is worthless, as RPG insignificant and as Hack & Slash game slightly entertaining.
[...] Playing the demo might be a good test, but know only the first few hours are really enjoyable. Once you get to the main island, the experience collapses.

Pro:
- decent combat system
- very atmospheric graphics [The reviewer says the weather effects are top notch.; Ed.]

Cons:
- below average quests and dialogs
- very heavy system requirements
- linear, short and unfinished [They mean cut content, not bugs.; Ed.]

Final verdict: Arcania is a slap in the face of Gothic- and RPG fans, but does offer an enjoyable Hack&Slash experience in a good looking world.

I especially like this part " Playing the demo might be a good test, but know only the first few hours are really enjoyable. Once you get to the main island, the experience collapses."

If the demo (which was awful) was the best part of the game then how bad is the rest of the game.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I want to strangle everyone who thinks this combat system is decent. Somehow I doubt it's gonna get so very much better and deeper after those demo areas.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You can't blame RPGWatch for having different expectations and taste than RPGCodex.

Also: RPGWatch is shit, band of fucking manboons and tools, they like Oblivion, Gothic 3 and other shit. You can't discuss with them with different point of view because they go butthurt, they think they are smart but everyone can clearly see they're not. And fucking females over that substitute of site think they are superior to males just because they have breasts. Fucking cretins don't deserve to be read.*

* - I went butthurt because they don't love me :cry:

Elzair

Cipher
DalekFlay said:
Excidium said:

How smart.

I played the demo. Was Arcania really an open world RPG? It looked rather linear to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom