Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Deus Ex: Human Revolution Definitely Has Challenge

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Deus Ex: Human Revolution; Eidos Montreal

<p>... says Marketing and Communications Director Sebastien Bich while <a href="http://games.on.net/article/10478/Interview_Deus_Ex_Human_Revolution" target="_blank">being interviewed by Games On Net</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>games.on.net: The first game was - in terms of difficulty - quite challenging. Have you guys maintained this approach, or are you adopting the mantra of every game these days, which is for accessible, casual gameplay?</strong><br /><br />Sebastien Bich: There is definitely a challenge in the game. We are being very cautious and doing playtests with gamers every week, making sure that the learning curve is the right one and not discouraging people from the beginning. I think the challenge will come from how you want to play the game as well, because there’s always another way of playing it if you come to a hurdle. If we can come back to the police station as well, sometimes you might have too many policemen which makes combat too hard, so you can try the stealth way. There’s no correct way to do it as you saw in the demo, and sometimes the game does turn to stealth and sometimes to combat.<br /><br /><strong>games.on.net: And can you tailor the difficulty, or is it one size fits all?</strong><br /><br />Sebastien Bich: It’s one difficulty to rule them all.<br /><br /><strong>games.on.net: Does it dynamically scale?</strong><br /><br />Sebastien Bich: It scales based on how much experience points you have, and how you level up within the game.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Deus Ex 3 will scale to your level.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><em>Thanks to Jaedar!</em></p>
<p> </p>

Vibalist

Arcane
KalosKagathos said:
The first game was - in terms of difficulty - quite challenging.
I think I saw someone - a guy in a trenchcoat.

Must have been a rat.

:lol:

Still, they'll find ways to make the game even easier. You'll see.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Any game with regenerating health is easy if you play the trained puppy. As soon as that red builds on the screen duck puppy, duck! You're invincible!

VentilatorOfDoom said:
<p>... says Marketing and Communications Director Sebastien Bich while <a href="http://games.on.net/article/10478/Interview_Deus_Ex_Human_Revolution" target="_blank">being interviewed by Games On Net</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>games.on.net: The first game was - in terms of difficulty - quite challenging. Have you guys maintained this approach, or are you adopting the mantra of every game these days, which is for accessible, casual gameplay?</strong><br /><br />Sebastien Bich: There is definitely a challenge in the game. We are being very cautious and doing playtests with gamers every week, making sure that the learning curve is the right one and not discouraging people from the beginning. I think the challenge will come from how you want to play the game as well, because there’s always another way of playing it if you come to a hurdle. If we can come back to the police station as well, sometimes you might have too many policemen which makes combat too hard, so you can try the stealth way. There’s no correct way to do it as you saw in the demo, and sometimes the game does turn to stealth and sometimes to combat.<br /><br /><strong>games.on.net: And can you tailor the difficulty, or is it one size fits all?</strong><br /><br />Sebastien Bich: It’s one difficulty to rule them all.<br /><br /><strong>games.on.net: Does it dynamically scale?</strong><br /><br />Sebastien Bich: It scales based on how much experience points you have, and how you level up within the game.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Deus Ex 3 will scale to your level.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><em>Thanks to Jaedar!</em></p>
<p> </p>

Fuuuuucckkkkkk!!!!!!!!!

Well, that ruins that one then. Only hope is that maybe he didn't fully explain things, and that scaling is only partial...oh fuck it. Next game.

Actually, on 2nd thoughts, I don't really see how you'd scale a Deus Ex game. It's linear. You know almost exactly (perhaps a minor boost from a sidequest here or there, but not much) what kind of xp and total abilities the player will have when he enters a map. I just can't understand what you'd do to scale the game. Maybe you'd forget to implement different uniforms on later level maps, making identical-looking guards harder on late maps rather than giving them a new coloured suit like in Deud Ex. I mean....it's a linear progression of maps ffs! You expect the opponents to get more difficult as the maps progress. But that isn't scaling, it's plain old linear progression.

I'm wondering whether the guy just misunderstood. Not because I don't think they'd stoop to scaling. Just because I can't see how scaling is possible in a linear game.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Console shooter ported to PC. Health regen. Llvel scaling. No way is better than another. Transformers arms. SquareEnix. Piss and poo palette.

I didn't follow the news on this game very thoroughly, but, please, tell me that it has some redeeming qualities that I missed.

bert

Arcane
Vibalist said:
KalosKagathos said:
The first game was - in terms of difficulty - quite challenging.
I think I saw someone - a guy in a trenchcoat.

Must have been a rat.

:lol:

games.on.net: Does it dynamically scale?

Sebastien Bich: It scales based on how much experience points you have, and how you level up within the game.

So, will end game be populated by common thugs/footsoldiers using Dragons Tooth swords and GEP guns? :M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sebastien Bich: It’s one difficulty to rule them all.
One-way ticket to lcd-town. Mandatory stops at bullet-sponge bosses.

Sebastien Bich: I think with the increased firepower of the consoles, obviously you can make that notion of choices more prominent.
Does he even know what he's saying?

zeitgeist

Magister
Roguey said:
Sebastien Bich: I think with the increased firepower of the consoles, obviously you can make that notion of choices more prominent.
He's a Marketing and Communications Director, of course he doesn't.

DalekFlay said:
Any game with regenerating health is easy if you play the trained puppy. As soon as that red builds on the screen duck puppy, duck! You're invincible!

Someone here has a sig about a games journalist complaining the cover system in Kane & Lynch "doesn't work" because "enemies just rush your position and shoot you while you're crouched, healing".

zeitgeist said:
Roguey said:
He's a Marketing and Communications Director, of course he doesn't.

He made me laugh early in the morning, so he's better then 95% of the people I know in Marketing. :lol:

Clockwork Knight said:
DalekFlay said:

Someone here has a sig about a games journalist complaining the cover system in Kane & Lynch "doesn't work" because "enemies just rush your position and shoot you while you're crouched, healing".

I remember that but I thought it was about AP?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Clockwork Knight said:

I like the KL2 reviews that complain about the fact you can still get shot in cover if your arm or something is hanging out. What a terrible cover system that doesn't make you invincible the moment you click the button!

I loved Mass Effect 2 as a shooter, but the fact you are invincible in cover is ridiculous.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
We are being very cautious and doing playtests with gamers every week, making sure that the learning curve is the right one and not discouraging people from the beginning.

Exclusive photo of one of these supposed gamers:

1242433739132.jpg

Silellak

Cipher
Why would anyone even discuss "level scaling" in a linear game? In a linear game, enemies typically get a bit stronger in each area...this has been a fact of gaming since...well...ever.

Silellak said:
Why would anyone even discuss "level scaling" in a linear game? In a linear game, enemies typically get a bit stronger in each area...this has been a fact of gaming since...well...ever.

That's what makes me think that the guy (who is a marketing guy, not a developer, after all) was confused. I'm hoping that he might have just thought of it in terms of 'what changes the difficulty for the player'.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they are above level-scaling. I just can't see how it is possible to level-scale a linear progression of maps, unless you mean the old 'enemies get harder as you go further' difficulty progression of all linear games.

Edit: another interesting quote:
"Jacques-Belletête thought that BioShock was given more credit for innovation than it strictly deserved. He said that while BioShock might have been some people's first experience with a narrative based shooter, it hadn't created the genre and that Irrational had built on the groundwork laid by other, older games. "BioShock's a funny game," he said. "Without taking anything away from it, it got a lot of credit for things a lot of games were doing waaay earlier. Even System Shock!""

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/for...-Ex-Not-Copying-Assassins-Creed-2-or-BioShock

Silellak said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they are above level-scaling. I just can't see how it is possible to level-scale a linear progression of maps, unless you mean the old 'enemies get harder as you go further' difficulty progression of all linear games.

He could be talking about the game making enemies easier or harder depending on your performance in previous stages, i.e., scaling to the player's skill level, not literal character level

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Azrael the cat said:
Easy: The more augs you find and more side-missions you do the stronger your enemies get(I'm not saying this is how it is, but it certainly could be). Besides, if this game is like DX, it won't be totally linear, more like a linear succession of small hubs and missions that tie the hubs together.

Alternatively, it could be like: Oh, so you got the aug upgrade to bypass X element of the hacking minigame, so now bypassing X will actually be necessary to win.

Silellak

Cipher
Clockwork Knight said:
Silellak said:

He could be talking about the game making enemies easier or harder depending on your performance in previous stages, i.e., scaling to the player's skill level, not literal character level
That's not what this quote implies:

Sebastien Bich: It scales based on how much experience points you have, and how you level up within the game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The first game was anything but challenging. Plus the gameplay becomes completely broken once you get that dragon sword, or whatever (i heard they fixed that in a later patch though). The fun was in trying to figure out novel ways to deal with an obstacle, and the greatness of the game lied in the huge numbers of options at your disposal. Plus, the level design was pat. Fucking popamole modern developers.

Silellak said:
That's not what this quote implies:

Hmmm...since he says "how you level up" and "how much experience you have", then maybe it's about you getting more XP depending on how many optional objectives you complete, or how good your performance is (detected too many times, got hit too many times, etc).

Like, play better = more XP to level how you choose but enemies get harder to avoid total roflstomping.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom