Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 not a BioWare title

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Baldur's Gate III (Atari); BioWare; Georg Zoeller

According to the daily BioWare forum coverage at <a href=http://www.sorcerers.net>Sorcerer's Place</a>, <b>Georg Zoeller</b>, BW designer guy, claims BioWare is not working with Atari on Baldur's Gate 3.
<br>

<br>
<blockquote>I think Atari announced in some printmag they are doing BG3, but I don't know more than that. I'm sure they'll have an official announcement about it. BioWare, at this time, is not working on a BG game.</blockquote>
<br>
So if anyone still thought it was, it isn't. And I doubt there's any kind of J.E. Sawyer-esque "the game is not in production but secretly in <i>pre-</i>production", so that's that.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</A>

DemonKing

Arcane
Spazmo said:
I think Atari announced in some printmag they are doing BG3, but I don't know more than that. I'm sure they'll have an official announcement about it. BioWare, at this time, is not working on a BG game.

Ahh...but when did he post - if it was 4:00am Canada time I bet no one was working on it "at this time", since they probably aren't in crunch mode yet... :wink:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Well, I'm hoping. Clues do point there, though. Troika does have 3 projects in development, after all. We know what two of them are - Bloodlines and Failsafe.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Exitium said:
T R O I K A ! ! !

Weren't you tired of Troika or something? I still think it's Stormfront and their next-gen console things.

3? What're you smoking now Rex? Last I heard this so called 'Failsafe' is on hold until Bloodlines is finished - at least. Clues schmues. I'd like to hear them if you claim to know anything, which I doubt.

Seven

Erudite
Major_Blackhart said:
What is Failsafe? Their PA game? Is it based off of any existing universe or is it completely new?

Apparently it's supposed to be the spiritual successor to Fallout set in a new universe.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Failsafe is just a name some of the boys came up with as a placeholder - not from Troika, just in the IRC channel or something like that. And that BG3 rumour Rex is talking about probably only exist in his wet dreams... (TEH HORROR).

Jed

Cipher
Saint_Proverbius said:
Yeah, it's a joke I made on IRC a long, long time ago.
Yeah, I was thinking that it was in a post by you that I first read it. It's a seriously good title, though. Troika should run with it (and give proper royalties, of course).

suibhne

Erudite
Exitium said:
I can't see Stormfront making BG3. A spinoff perhaps, but BG3?

You may wish to re-evaluate your confidence in Atari's decision-making skills.

Anyway, they (partially) made PoR, so they clear have the capacity to churn out an A-list RPG. :lol:

FrankHorrigan

Liturgist
It is not stormfront, their webpage was redesigned last week but prior to that, they had up a teaser saying their next project is based on a "hot hollywood property", i know this as their name was suggested when the pcgamer article first came out so i checked out their website. Hope its going to be troika and with another name off the list, its that bit closer, but based upon the recent interviews with leonard, it looks unlikely.

deus

Liturgist
I thought Troika was never working with Atari ever again. Troika and Stormfront don't have the name and brand recognition that Bioware has. ToEE might have been Atari's 3rd best-selling PC game, but the average consumer probably doesn't recognise Troika as a developer they can trust if they recognise Troika at all. For good and for ill, Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II were accessible and didn't scare away the "casual gamer." Most of the mainstream press coverage of ToEE praised it but at the same time truthly reported it strict adherance to the rules but did it in a way that scare would away someone who had never played a cRPG or had only played Baldur's Gate, Diablo, etc. No matter how much we'd like it, a Troika developed Baldur's Gate 3 wouldn't sit well with BG3's main demographic. On the other hand, it might not matter, but I don't think Atari would be willing to take the risk on Troika. It'd turn away more people than it would attract. Stormfront doesn't seem like a logical choice to me either mostly because of PoR2.

Stark

Liturgist
Troika and Stormfront don't have the name and brand recognition that Bioware has....
No matter how much we'd like it, a Troika developed Baldur's Gate 3 wouldn't sit well with BG3's main demographic. On the other hand, it might not matter, but I don't think Atari would be willing to take the risk on Troika. It'd turn away more people than it would attract

well, i don't think it really matters that much. Kotor2 is developed by Obsidian, an almost unknown developer (to casual gamers anyway) yet entrusted with a heavyweight title.

And i fail to see why a Troika developed BG3 would not sit well with BG3's demographic. Why should it turn people away? just the name Troika alone?

actually I do not really care if BG3 is developed by Troika or fr that matter any other company. BG3 will be a sequel in name only. I so do not wish to see a return of Minsc or Jaiheira, and would be annoyed if they make cameo in this game. On the other hand, I've liked Troika's games and will buy any new games from them if they're good. the brand name BG do nothing to me.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Yeah, it was in PCGamer's October issue

I could probably scan the article and send it, but I'm lazy. I'm mostly paraphrasing, anything I comment will be in parentheses. Here is the basics of it.

They (Atari) has spent several months working with an unannounced developer. It will have no storyline connection to the other BG games. It will take place somewhat before the events of the other BG games (so a likely younger Minsc cameo is almost a given)Gameplay will be party based, wide variety of quests and non-combat skills to give some bloodless solutions. Atari Executive Producer John Hight was asked these questions (all of them, by the way), and he assured the game would give a cinematic perspective using a licensed or newly developed engine (would not confirm or deny the Dragon Age engine possibility). There are plans to have sub-races and prestige classes, a poll is in the works to give players a chance for feedback on what they would like to see (favorite characters, classes, and locations.)

Here is where it gets retarded:

Some aspects of the game will be simplified for real-time interactive play, and will use D&D 3.5, but will not be an action/rpg. Atari is shooting for well-paced action and a more user-friendly interface (which probably tosses out Troika, not to mention they're busy with their own plans).) When asked whether it would be real-time or turn-based, Hight mentioned it is "leaning" in one direction, but they wish to explore their options further (a.k.a. "The comment I made about real-time interactive play should give it away.)

Then there was a little blurb about the previous BG3 "Jefferson" project. It also didn't relate to the BioWare games, and had an open ended plot which would have your character become inadvertently become associated with a supernatural creature and caught up in the machinations of a determined female criminal. Black Isle intended for it to combine the non-linear, character driven, morally ambiguous gameplay of the Fallout series with the epic scope of the Baldur's Gate franchise.

That is all the info in a condensed version, with minor liberties taken in the writing department as I am about to be hit by a hurricane and need to make excuses for it being lateat night, oh..and a hurricane which is two days away. Excuses, right.

EDIT: I failed to mention that BioWare (Dragon Age), Obsidian Ent.(Neverwinter Nights 2), and Troika is busy (mentioned). All on already announced projects. Maybe Bethesda is deciding excercising options on it, heh. Personally I think BioWare codenamed BG3 to "Dragon Age" and were being coy mentioning it as an "oldschool rpg". How many months has it been since DA was announced? Coincidence? I think they know more than they're telling us. Wait...of course they do.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The fact they're talking about beinh able to see the expression on orcs' faces when you cast fireball at them should give away that they're thinking about a first person or third person over the shoulder BG3. You can't really see expressions in a three-quarter view isometric perspective.

Whomever is making BG3 doesn't have to have name recognition. Baldur's Gate alone has enough to carry the title.

Stormfront not only made PoR2, but they also made several of the original gold box games as well. They're working with Atari now on Demonstone and have made a number of good D&D games in the past, so that's why I was picking them.

Stark

Liturgist
thanks Sovard.

Troika does have 3 projects in development, after all.

Exitium care to tell us where you got this bit from?

I think I'm leaning to Saint's view that it'll be developed by Stormfront.

I've been playing ToEE this week and as much as i hate to repeat what many people have already said, i really hope another DnD game from Troika using the same engine (not BG though). I really love ToEE's combat and graphics. the development time would not be too long right? they can reuse alot of the old resources, and hopefully solve the memory leak bug.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom