Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Small Fallout: New Vegas Review Extravaganza

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>el33tonline <a href="http://www.el33tonline.com/past_article/2010/11/26/fallout_new_vegas_review" target="_blank">reviewed</a> <strong>Fallout: New Vegas</strong> scoring it 3/5.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Fallout: New Vegas gives the player tons to do, lots to see and hours and hours of gameplay, which is ultimately its saving grace. This game can provide 50+ hours for the RPG fan and after a few hours one could most likely get used to the graphical glitches thrown at the player, diminishing its occurrences to but a minor distraction. I&rsquo;m all about value as well as replay value when investing in a game, and Fallout: New Vegas does not disappoint in that regard and is worthy of its R600 price tag. Let us just hope that more patches are released for this deserving game to enhance the player experience to one of complete enjoyment.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Additionally, RPGFan has put up 2 different reviews. <a href="http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Fallout_New_Vegas/index2.html" target="_blank">In this first one (80%)</a> an "RPG" fan found out<em> that the greater emphasis on traditional RPG mechanics tore him out of what was an otherwise immersive experience</em>. Emphasis on RPG mechanics in my RPG? Preposterous!</p>
<blockquote>
<p>I can't classify my experience with Fallout: New Vegas as "fun." The greater emphasis on traditional RPG mechanics tore me out of what was an otherwise immersive experience. The excellent writing and role-playing was tempered by the poor voice acting and lack of high-end production values. And the ambitious quest design and layered decision making proves too much for a failing engine. Fallout: New Vegas is more Fallout, and will probably make fans happy in the long run. For me, Fallout 3 was a five star dining experience. I paid sixty dollars for a steak roughly the size of a fist, but the taste and memory of that experience will last forever. Fallout: New Vegas is like ordering sixty dollars worth of food from McDonald's. You certainly get more bang for your buck, but the meal is simply hollow and unsatisfying. Fallout: New Vegas will have to satiate me for a while, but I will be remembering that juicy steak long after I've forgotten my experiences in the Mojave Desert.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><a href="http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Fallout_New_Vegas/index3.html" target="_blank">And in this second one (81%)</a> another <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">retard</span> RPG fan figured that <em>Obsidian owes every bit of New Vegas' success to the creators of Fallout 3, and none of its failures</em>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>I have focused on the negative aspects of New Vegas because they weigh most heavily on my mind after playing the game. New Vegas is not bereft of entertainment and memorable experiences, however. I generally enjoyed exploring the wasteland, even if what I found there did little to excite my brain or stir me emotionally. A few scenarios truly stand out. Indeed, New Vegas is a better game than many. But Obsidian owes every bit of New Vegas' success to the creators of Fallout 3, and none of its failures. New Vegas is packed full of heartless content and sloppy design. The magic, personality and profundity found in Fallout 3 are all gone, blown away on desert winds, and with them, my respect for the game. Excusable in an otherwise mindlessly fun game, perhaps, but not in a boring one.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/100570-fallout-new-vegas-reviews.html">GB</a></p>

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Maybe, they missed the giant robot-pop-culture-reference?

Really, anyone who thinks Fallout 3 is better than New Vegas never played the originals when they were first released.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
"The magic, personality and profundity found in Fallout 3 are all gone"

:retarded:

Why. The. Fuck. You. Posted. This. Shit. Kurwa. Mać. VoD. Znajdę. Cię. I. Kurwa. Zajebie.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
"For me, Fallout 3 was a five star dining experience. I paid sixty dollars for a steak roughly the size of a fist, but the taste and memory of that experience will last forever."
The taste of shit is hard to get rid of.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There's gold in those RPGFan reviews.

I can also get behind the idea of making New Vegas as difficult and oppressive as the Black Isle games in the franchise (this is the Apocalypse, after all), but running into the Grim Reaper every time you traipse off the beaten path is rather annoying. I play these games to explore and have an adventure, and being forced onto a set direction at the game's outset compromises everything that I've come to love about Bethesda RPGs. Some will enjoy the struggle and ability to explore after leveling up a bit, but I myself was confused and bewildered by such structure in a series known for freedom.
Imagine my shock when I was having difficulty putting down anything tougher than a human as my skill with firearms approached their pinnacle. New Vegas employs the damage threshold system from F1 and 2, which means that you won't be doing more than 1 HP of damage to an enemy unless the weapon packs a massive punch. Seeing as how most firearms barely register on the DT scale, you can easily see how my character could quickly be classified as "broken."
AP Ammo? Never heard of it.
New Vegas does at least one thing better than Fallout 3. The game makes better use of the player character's skills in dialogue. Now those Science, Repair, and other lesser skills can solve more problems, including entire quests. This isn't to say, however, that there are suddenly Bioware-level dialogue options. Most of the time, no, and I had difficulty role-playing a gentlemanly character.
Graphically, the Fallout 3 engine no longer impresses quite as often as it once did, and Obsidian poisoned it with some of their own bad ideas. Namely the developers decided to make the Mojave a less irradiated place compared to D.C. Bright blue skies and a realistic sun. Yellow sands and desert plants still thriving. Not only does the yellow world look like stacks of puke sometimes, but the entire world proves to be less atmospheric than it should be. When I play a game set in a post-apocalyptic world, I want miserable destruction and terrible skies.
mw9ix2.jpg

CraigCWB

Educated
What the fuck? 12 year olds who think they are the "elite online" and RPG fans who don't like RPG mechanics?

Well, anyway, that's already too much said about these "reviews". I just started playing the game yesterday so I don't have much of a feel for it yet but from what I've seen so far it's a better game than FO3 was. And that includes graphically. It even runs better, and I know that because I just finished replaying F03 last month on this same rig. Also, it's a lot harder. I put it on very hard and tried to mass murder everyone in town with a shovel (just to test of course) and I got my ass handed to me in 5 seconds flat. That may be the real reason these online elites don't like New Vegas, but for me it's a big plus when I can't act like a retard and get away with it.

UserNamer

Cipher
I don't understand how these guys want absolutely no challenge in their games.

The most infuriating thing is that most of the "difficult" encounters in vegas can be solved by bringing the appropriate equipment- ap ammo or stealthboys, mostly.

Those arrogant little shits want a game with absolutely no challenge, where they can go everywhere they want without facing even the smallest difficulty.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Eh, from what I've gathered, there are many people outside the Codex consider NV to be a better game than F3, which gives me hope. NV is selling pretty well, so maybe Bethseda or someone else will hire them to do another sequel.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Xor said:
Eh, from what I've gathered, there are many people outside the Codex consider NV to be a better game than F3, which gives me hope. NV is selling pretty well, so maybe Bethseda or someone else will hire them to do another sequel.

Most polls I've dared to look at (even on the Bethesda boards) have them at a considerable majority. We will win their hearts and minds yet.

flushfire

Augur
the tint is actually different depending on which area the player is in. IMO it should've been an option, it just seems too unrealistic for the lighting to change color based on some unknown factor. gamma suddenly rises near and in the strip for example. suddenly drops to the point that it always seems night in camp searchlight. i could take the extreme radiation = green tint, but in some places like camp forlorn hope the screen suddenly becomes sepia supposedly because of the state of morale in the camp? wtf is that

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lockkaliber said:
Stop posting this shit, my frail nerves can't handle all the rage. Fuck.

This. At least if the criticism was warranted...but FUCK! F3 better quests? A juicy steak compared to McDonalds? RPG elements ruin experience? :retarded: :x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom