Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dungeon Siege 3 Preview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeon Siege III; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>PCGamer <a href="http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/31/dungeon-siege-3-preview-2/" target="_blank">offer a preview</a> of Obsidian's upcoming action RPG, <strong>Dungeon Siege III</strong>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>So it&rsquo;s clear that the new Dungeon Siege is much more of an action game. Of course, there&rsquo;s still strategy, but it&rsquo;s not strategy that comes from having a huge range of interacting abilities. It&rsquo;s more a matter of mana management, and learning to deal with the game&rsquo;s special enemies, whose colour-coded auras affect the fight in different ways. Even fighting the regular fodder-mobs is more tactical than chaining a set of regular attacks &ndash; from the very beginning, there&rsquo;s a strong element of crowd control and taking the enemy on in a way that effectively uses your current hero&rsquo;s style.</p>
<p>There&rsquo;s a lot to like about Dungeon Siege III. It&rsquo;s an earnest story, told well, and it looks great in Obsidian&rsquo;s beautiful new RPG-oriented Onyx engine. I don&rsquo;t feel like my self-important worries about dumbing down the game have been fully addressed, but I enjoyed my playthrough on a gamepad, and there&rsquo;s more than enough time to address the worrying lack of information about how the PC version will stand out. But for now, with Obsidian&rsquo;s history of solid adopted sequels, it&rsquo;s probably fairest to give them the benefit of the doubt.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#16660">RPGWatch</a></p>

Shannow

Waster of Time
It’s an earnest story, told well, and it looks great in Obsidian’s beautiful new RPG-oriented Onyx engine.
:shock:

I don’t feel like my self-important worries about dumbing down the game have been fully addressed
Ok, now I know he's trolling.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Shannow said:
It’s an earnest story, told well, and it looks great in Obsidian’s beautiful new RPG-oriented Onyx engine.
:shock:

I don’t feel like my self-important worries about dumbing down the game have been fully addressed
Ok, now I know he's trolling.

Wait what? He's clearly talking about gameplay mechanics in terms of "dumbing down".

Then again. We ARE talking about the Dungeon Siege Franchise here. So yeah. He's trolling.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obsidian is dumbing down Dungeon Siege.

In other news: Bethesda will make Fallout 4 a party-based game with an isometric top-down view.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I don't really give a damn about Dungeon Siege 3 itself, but I'm curious how Obsidian's engine will work. This will be the (pen)ultimate test whether their coders suck so much ass, or if they really just get all the bad optimization/bugs from lack of development time.

Chaud

Novice
VentilatorOfDoom said:
I don’t feel like my self-important worries about dumbing down the game have been fully addressed (...)

:what:

Seriously, what the fuck. Are we in some kind of inverted-parallel universe or something?

chzr

Scholar
Dungeon-Siege-III-04-590x314.jpg

:smug:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
The bits about the story make it sound interesting. At least that's something we can always count on Obsidian for.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
"At a time of warring factions", huh? I wonder if Obsidian is really going to bring faction diplomacy into their Dungeon Siege. I just hope they won't fuck up combat too much.

Also, lol at "dumbing down".

this is because the loot will be tailored to your level

:? I'm still butthurt about the way 2W2 did that, so you better not follow the same path, Obsidian, you hear me?

the critically acclaimed reading game Planescape Torment

Same here, the game had otherwise nothing going for it, now it has boobs.

Honestly, dungeon siege? I can see it already, the divinity 2 fanatics are going to slobber all over its 99% combat content while the AP cocksuckers are going to claim it's rpg goty for the 1% "roleplaying" with deep C&C that determines which female companion you bang.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is going to be a really hard sell for me. I bought DS1 back in the day when I still paid for games and found it boring as fuck. Couldn't even finish it.

Although, after NV, I do have hope they can pull something out of the franchise.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Yay, we get to see generic unproportional as fuck titties, I'm glad the graphic designers have good taste. :roll:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Morgoth said:
George Ziets (Mask of the Betrayer) is in charge of DS3.

As much as I am an Obsidian Fan Boy™, I just can't see them pulling off a good game with this. Even with Ziets attached to it. Can he pull off another MotB epic tale? Guess I'll wait and see. Camera will probably be shit. Seriously Obsidian hire someone compitent to code the fucking camera! FFS!

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Dicksmoker said:
Yay, we get to see generic unproportional as fuck titties, I'm glad the graphic designers have good taste. :roll:

You're talking about the same dude who did a shitload of the art on Bloodlines. Which was awesome. So STFU.

But yeah, graphics probably don't have enough bloom.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Sorry if it makes you feel bad that I have better taste in women than you do. Enjoy your crass mega titties.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom