Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Risen 2: Dark Waters Unveiled

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Piranha Bytes; Risen 2: Dark Waters

<p><strong>Risen 2: Dark Waters</strong>, the sequel to Piranha Bytes' latest action RPG in the Gothic vein, <a href="http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/67585" target="_blank">has been officially announced</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>According to Deep Silver, Risen 2 "aims to combine the most loved classic RPG gameplay mechanics of the original Risen with a fresh theme and setting on a huge variety of themed island locales." The publisher also says that the sequel "maintains the most immersive features of the original Risen, with multiple approaches to every challenge allowing players to shape the game world based on their own decisions."</p>
</blockquote>
<p><em>Thanks to phelot for pointing it out.</em></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/67585">Shacknews</a></p>

Raapys

Arcane
Cool, looking forward to it. Let's hope they can make a more consistent experience this time, as well as a bigger game world. And more spells.

Black

Arcane
I'd be fine if it was more of the same but without that fucking :decline: of an ending, endless waves of lizardmen and searching for some plot armour. Act I and II were very good.

Murk

Arcane
Pants getting tighter.

Link to teaser site: http://www.risen2.com/

link to synopsis of article: http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/sh ... p?t=956015

p.s - guns are in: http://www.videogameszone.de/screenshot ... en_2_3.jpg

Post on WorldofRisen said:
Combat and magics system have been completely redone but no further details are given. Except that ranged combat is now done with rifles. The combat with them is governed by a skill just like archery in previous titles. You can also fire cannons at pre-defined points of the story.

The characters are more detailed and will show basic facial expressions during conversations. The armour consists of individual sets of boots, gloves, hats, upper and lower clothing etc. The textures will be sharper and more individual. Animations are going to be more smoothly and detailed.

Hmmm... not exactly from the horse's mouth but...

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I'm just hoping that Piranha Bytes will finally make a game where the final act doesn't pretty much suck. Also, it's weird that you're keeping the same protagonist, yet the world has progressed to the point of having firearms while the first game was more medieval in nature. Xtreme Longevity?

Anyway, still the prospect of this game makes me :bounce:

ElectricOtter

Fuck yeah, Risen was awesome so I'm hoping for some more Gothic goodness :bro:

Murk

Arcane
According to the description of the PC Gamer article the flow of the game is going to be from linear to open ended as opposed to the other way around.

This I can get behind, very much -- though I still thought Risen was fucking Aces.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Looks good, I won't pirate this one.;)

Black said:
I'd be fine if it was more of the same but without that fucking :decline: of an ending, endless waves of lizardmen and searching for some plot armour. Act I and II were very good.
Act I and II were very good indeed, can't say for the Order quests as I skipped those (for a mage replay someday), but joining and gaining ranks at the Bandit Camp was really fun.

ortucis

Prophet
Please don't have "crab people" as a replacement for "lizard men". Good to know they are aiming to make it bigger (maybe we will be able to travel by the sea waging war on islands?).

Seolas

Liturgist
Risen was awesome except for that last boss.

That last boss!

Suddenly it went from an awesome action RPG to The Legend of Zelda or something with a bunch of platform hopping.

But the game was still quality overall.

curry

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Risen 2 "aims to combine the most loved classic RPG gameplay mechanics of the original Risen with a fresh theme and setting on a huge variety of themed island locales." The publisher also says that the sequel "maintains the most immersive features of the original Risen, with multiple approaches to every challenge allowing players to shape the game world based on their own decisions."

Sounds good to me. :love:

Seolas said:
Risen was awesome except for that last boss.

This. Everything else in the game was good. Even when it became linear dungeon crawling it was still good. I usually hate dungeon crawling in games but I enjoyed it very much in Risen, dungeons had quite good design. I can forgive couple of minutes of stupid last boss fight and remember all these hours of greatness instead.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
What abut this Dark Wave thingie from Risen 1? Iin the years between Risen and Risen 2 the nameless hero has somehow killed all other Titans that were wrecking the mainland?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Risen was far better than any piece of shit Codex fapped to in the last 2 or 3 years like Fallout 3 or DA so I have a hope that Risen 2 will be incline (yeah fat chance) or at least not worse.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Making an interface usable by human beings != dumbing down

G3 was also ruined by a huge ambition that a relatively medium-sized studio couldn't handle. They wanted to make the game even bigger and completely failed - but I hardly can call that a dumbing down.

Phelot

Arcane
I thought 3 was made by some other developer?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom