Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dragon Age II News

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>Gameinformer <a href="http://www.gameinformer.com/games/dragon_age_ii/b/xbox360/archive/2011/03/02/dragon-age-ii-the-first-five-hours.aspx" target="_blank">provides a preview</a> based on the first 5 hours of <strong>Dragon Age II</strong>, spoilers abound.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>From the moment we first saw Dragon Age II, it was clear that BioWare wasn&rsquo;t content with creating a sequel that was more of the same. The universe has not changed. Some characters will return. But for better or worse, the gameplay has shifted significantly.&nbsp;</p>
<p>Few would argue that Origins&rsquo; transition from PC to console was graceful. While the PC version used pause-and-play tactical combat in the classic computer RPG style, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 ports were dumbed down. The game wasn&rsquo;t bad on console, but it felt clunky and unsuited to the control format.</p>
<p>Dragon Age II has been designed from the beginning with the intention of being played with a controller, and it shows immediately.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Thank god.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>It may take another 20 or 30 hours before Hawke is as bada** as he was in that introductory sequence, but every time I leveled up and gained a new ability, I felt like it genuinely changed the way I approached battles. Some abilities felt useless or buried in Origins. In Dragon Age II, I found myself using everything at my disposal.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>There must be 1000 ways to 'splode my darkspawn.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>In other news the release day DLC <strong>The Exiled Prince</strong> <a href="http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/addon/exiled_prince/" target="_blank">has been announced</a>. For only $7!!</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Sworn to the priesthood as a boy, the noble archer Sebastian Vael is thrust back into the viper's nest of princely politics when his family is brutally murdered, leaving him as the sole surviving heir. Choose to either avenge Sebastian's murdered family and reclaim his title or direct his holy vengeance on your enemies in Kirkwall.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Add Sebastian Vael into your party, a deadly archer, and direct his righteous wrath on your enemies, seeing darkspawn exploding in formerly unknown ways. Archery ways.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
VentilatorOfDoom said:
<p>Sworn to the priesthood as a boy, the noble archer Sebastian Vael is thrust back into the viper's nest of princely politics when his family is brutally murdered, leaving him as the sole surviving heir. Choose to either avenge Sebastian's murdered family and reclaim his title or direct his holy vengeance on your enemies in Kirkwall.</p>

No way. That sounds soooooooo awesome. And original. This certainly isn't old material mashed together. And even if it did. That would go back to BG2. I'm sure. I never saw this much inspired writing in DA:O. No, sir.

ExEverest

Novice
IronicNeurotic said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
No way. That sounds soooooooo awesome. And original. This certainly isn't old material mashed together. And even if it did. That would go back to BG2. I'm sure. I never saw this much inspired writing in DA:O. No, sir.

It's DLC, It's unwise to expect much in the sense of story. Then again, old concepts could be implemented in interesting ways.

Begriffenfeldt

Educated
7$ DLC, huh? How much does the game cost? 50 bucks? That DLC better be fucking huge.

Of course it won't be.

Project: Eternity
J_C said:
ExEverest said:
It's a Bioware DLC, It's unwise to expect much in the sense of story.
Fixed.

The Lair of the Shadowbroker ME2 DLC contained quite a lot of story really. It ends a major story arc for one of the companion NPCs, wraps up a major antagonist of that universe and also gives some additional (though text only) infos on all other companions and some organizations.

Begriffenfeldt

Educated
header-exiledprince.png

dem graphix!

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why does all companions need to have some tragic background, why not just make a merc who had a nice childhood and simply wanted to earn bunch of cash and fame.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Konjad said:
I WANT DRAGON ARMOUR DLC

NO I WANT BUSTER SWORD!

Buster_sword_by_Wen_JR.jpg

THEN I WANT PRETTY ELF TO SWING BUSTER SWORD!

Cloud_Strife__detail__by_mandi_chan.jpg

NOW BIOWARE I COMMAND YOU MY ANIME FRIENDS DEMAND IT!

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So, I can search for BG2 mods and find probably over a dozen companion mods, some of which even feature full voicework, and many of which add multiple new quests to the game. For free.

And Bioware wants me to pay $7 for one companion.

DraQ

Arcane
Esteemed codexian homosexual Jaesun, do you too find this picture as unbearably gay as I do?

For I fear I might have unknowingly gone rabidly homophobic which would explain sudden revulsion of this magnitude.
:what:

Gord

Arcane
Poorly and sloppily made pic? Yes
Story sounding terribly cliche? Yes
Is it a rip-off to announce DLC that could have easily been included into the game before the game is actually out? Yes

Unbearable gay? Meh...

Dantus12

Educated
Gaider is so epic.

The short story at the bottom in PDF on the page that VoD linked.

A prince given to the Chantry.-confirmed
Not really religious -yep
Has a grudge against His parents-yes
A memorable revered Mother-present

Gaider recycles Alistair from the ground, and gets away with it.

One thing has to be admitted, Bioware is having success withthe "emotional marketing," approach that their founders are preaching at GDC's.

ironyuri

There are enough threads about Bioware so instead of making a new one, I'll vent here:

RELEASE DAY FUCKING DLC WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT IF IT CAN BE RELEASED AT RELEASE DAY WHY CAN'T THEY SHIP IT WITH THE GAME FOR FREE INCLUDED AS CONTENT WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS FAGGOTRY

WHY WOULD YOU PRICE GOUGE YOUR FUCKING CUSTOMERS AND FANS BY CHARGING FOR EXTRA CONTENT ON THE DAY OF RELEASE WHEN IT SHOULD ALREADY BE IN THE FUCKING GAME WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU SONS OF WHORES I FUCKING HATE IT SO MUCH

Ok, that's all.

ironyuri said:
There are enough threads about Bioware so instead of making a new one, I'll vent here:

RELEASE DAY FUCKING DLC WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT IF IT CAN BE RELEASED AT RELEASE DAY WHY CAN'T THEY SHIP IT WITH THE GAME FOR FREE INCLUDED AS CONTENT WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS FAGGOTRY

WHY WOULD YOU PRICE GOUGE YOUR FUCKING CUSTOMERS AND FANS BY CHARGING FOR EXTRA CONTENT ON THE DAY OF RELEASE WHEN IT SHOULD ALREADY BE IN THE FUCKING GAME WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU SONS OF WHORES I FUCKING HATE IT SO MUCH

Ok, that's all.

This. Did DA:O have this shit? When did gamers bend over and accept this kind of rubbish? I'm not harping on short, lack-of-content DLCs; it's this purchasable DLC on release date kind of shit it's like going on a date and paying for everything and THEN paying for the sex as well. zZzzZ.

:x

Pegultagol

Erudite
Ho hum another inconsequential fuckdoll
Truly tis the age of day-1 DLCs

BTW, this has been available for free for the pre-orders of its 'Signature' edition.
I'd bet this is how Bioware is going to proceed with party characters in ME3 as well; de-construct previous members into archetypes, which isn't hard to do, then re-construct with just superficial traits mix & match, the consistent overarching theme being tits & ass.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I believe the rationalization for day-one DLCs with DAO was that they wouldn't have developed that content at all if they weren't going to sell it as a DLC. Or some shit.

torpid

Liturgist
markec said:
Why does all companions need to have some tragic background, why not just make a merc who had a nice childhood and simply wanted to earn bunch of cash and fame.

Can't have Bioware romances without emo. That's what's deep and mature to them. ME2 was also terrible in that regard: every character had either daddy issues or parenting issues. And of course, once they solved their daddy issue, they were swinging on Daddy Shepard's dick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom