Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Dragon Age 2 Review

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>The first <strong>Dragon Age II</strong> reviews are coming in apparently. <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8701-Dragon-Age-II-Review" target="_blank">Here's what The Escapist has to say</a>:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>In fact, like Uncharted 2 and Empire Strikes Back, Dragon Age II is the rare sequel that improves upon its already excellent predecessor. The dialogue options inspired by BioWare's work on Mass Effect allow you to roleplay the voiced character of Hawke however you want. Thanks to handy symbols in the radial menu, you can be a snippy prig, a righteous hero, or a wiseass depending on your mood and the situation presented to you. Your mannerisms and choices will affect how your companions feel about you, but instead of only rewarding the player for placating, say, your friend Anders' desire for all mages to be free from the Circle, you also gain benefits from a contentious relationship. Get far along enough on either end of the spectrum from Friend to Rival and your companion will receive strong (and distinct) bonuses to combat.<br /><br />I love this system, because it encourages you to make solid roleplaying decisions early. If you waffle and try to make nice when you actually can't stand Anders and his heavy-handed "Mages rock!" political stance, then you get no benefit at all. If I've learned anything from a lifetime of RPGs, mechanics that support storytelling and vice versa are the goal of all good game design and Dragon Age II manages this perfectly.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>A perfect score of 5/5 and the game improves upon its predecessor, why this sounds wonderful!</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Let's have a look at a <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=56701" target="_blank">mini-review</a> of one of our forum members:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><span class="postbody">The story is not epic, the lore is limited. The combat, even if it seems impossible, is worse! Its filler and filler without any challenge whatsoever. The only way to describe it is: Press A to Explode. <br /> <br /> The dialog is truly poorly written and seems to be rushed. The maps are corridorised entirely. <br /> <br /> Here's the proof why I would call it dumbed down from DA:O (which itself was dumbed down version of BG): <br /> <br /> 1) Skills: Fucking gone! <br /> 2) Crafting: Fucking Gone! <br /> 3) Dialog text: Fucking gone! <br /> 4) Tactics requirement: Fucking gone! <br /> 5) origins: Fucking gone! <br /> 6) Complex lore: Gone man! </span></p>
</blockquote>
<p>That's what I call improvement!</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Additionally, you can download the high-res textures for DA2 <a href="http://social.bioware.com/page/da2-patches" target="_blank">here</a>. Apparently it's too much to ask to include this in the actual game nowadays.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/101869-dragon-age-ii-review.html">GB</a></p>

In the context of that "They've dumbed down DAO!" sentiment...:
1) Skills: Fucking gone!
DAO had skills?
You mean, like the "+ n% of Something Resistance" or "+ n% HP/Mana from potions"?
Well, okay, "Coersion" was somewhat useful, but then it should read "1) Only Skill: Fucking gone!"

2) Crafting: Fucking Gone!
The tragedy...
Because there weren't enough injury kits and potions and traps to heal the entire African continent half-way through the game.
Or because pressing the Awesome crafting button was so mesmerizing that it was an important enough feature to miss?
Or the game was so difficult one couldn't hope to play it without chugging a dozen potions every fight?
Or something...

3) Dialog text: Fucking gone!
Because DAO dialogues were so awesome, right?
But alright, the dialogue wheel is a travesty, I'll agree to that general point.

4) Tactics requirement: Fucking gone!
Because... apparently, the awesome tactical diversity in DAO made everyone's brains hurt?
I'm not seeing much difference, to be frank.

5) origins: Fucking gone!
Eh. Besides PC's race, can't say they offered much of value or context to the rest of the game. Just a few more hours of more of the same and a few lines of meaningless flavour text down the road.

6) Complex lore: Gone man!
Right. DAO's lore was all so original and fascinating, I'm all torn up inside about it, as well.

Bottom line is, if you're gonna go and tear DA2 a new one for its faults, don't make it sound like DAO was something to aspire to, FFS.

cant wait for thwihcer2 realease.

this will be fucking clash of titans... or retards?

anyway the mini review is full of shit and the fucker that wrote that piece of crap know shit about cprg an d even less about da2 :retarded:

so far pretty entertainig on nighmare with high res textures :smug:

cant wait to bang isabela. best thong and boobs in crpgs :thumbsup:

Multiple Sarcasm said:
Bottom line is, if you're gonna go and tear DA2 a new one for its faults, don't make it sound like DAO was something to aspire to, FFS.

mini review said:
Here's the proof why I would call it dumbed down from DA:O (which itself was dumbed down version of BG)

Hmm, it would seem that DA2 sucked and lacked even in comparison to a shitty game is the actual bottom line. You're a retard.

VoD, you didn't quote the best part of the escapist review:

The advancements in RPG mechanics would be enough to set it apart, but the real achievement of Dragon Age II is in the story-telling. I could point out the improved combat and graphics till there's blood covering my face, but BioWare is one of the few companies that uses the advanced computing power available to modern game designers to let you actually play a role.

Skuth

Novice
Well, after all they are the same people who wrote of DA:O as "This is computer/console RPG at its finest and you'll swear there's a GM behind the game somewhere directing the play, even if he is a bit of a jerk" and of Awakening as "It admirably accomplishes what an expansion is supposed to do, and doesn't in any way diminish what made the great one of the best RPGs ever made", giving both 5/5.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
VentilatorOfDoom said:
<p>The first <strong>Dragon Age II</strong> reviews are coming in apparently. <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8701-Dragon-Age-II-Review" target="_blank">Here's what The Escapist has to say</a>:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>In fact, like Uncharted 2 and Empire Strikes Back, Dragon Age II is the rare sequel that improves upon its already excellent predecessor. The dialogue options inspired by BioWare's work on Mass Effect allow you to roleplay the voiced character of Hawke however you want. Thanks to handy symbols in the radial menu, you can be a snippy prig, a righteous hero, or a wiseass depending on your mood and the situation presented to you. Your mannerisms and choices will affect how your companions feel about you, but instead of only rewarding the player for placating, say, your friend Anders' desire for all mages to be free from the Circle, you also gain benefits from a contentious relationship. Get far along enough on either end of the spectrum from Friend to Rival and your companion will receive strong (and distinct) bonuses to combat.<br /><br />I love this system, because it encourages you to make solid roleplaying decisions early. If you waffle and try to make nice when you actually can't stand Anders and his heavy-handed "Mages rock!" political stance, then you get no benefit at all. If I've learned anything from a lifetime of RPGs, mechanics that support storytelling and vice versa are the goal of all good game design and Dragon Age II manages this perfectly.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>A perfect score of 5/5 and the game improves upon its predecessor, why this sounds wonderful!</p>
<p> </p>

So, the cocksuckingfest begins...

It's like you can hear the money changing hands and the gratuitous slurping, is even the thinnest of false veneers just to hard for them? I guess they wouldn't want to be mistaken for people with integrity or professionalism even by gross mistake.

Angthoron

Arcane
space odyssey said:
It's like you can hear the money changing hands and the gratuitous slurping, is even the thinnest of false veneers just to hard for them? I guess they wouldn't want to be mistaken for people with integrity or professionalism even by gross mistake.

I misread veneers as weeners first, considering the context.

Skuth

Novice
Games Master UK
Mar 7, 2011
BioWare have comprehensively hit back at detractors of the original game and Dragon Age II delivers a distinctive fantasy RPG with far broader appeal and personality than before. Mega-nerds may feel slighted that they can't dig into the mechanics quite so easily but few would argue that this slicker, more streamlined approach isn't a vast improvement. [Apr 2011, p.73]

you bunch of mega-nerds.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Skuth said:
Games Master UK
Mar 7, 2011
BioWare have comprehensively hit back at detractors of the original game and Dragon Age II delivers a distinctive fantasy RPG with far broader appeal and personality than before. Mega-nerds may feel slighted that they can't dig into the mechanics quite so easily but few would argue that this slicker, more streamlined approach isn't a vast improvement. [Apr 2011, p.73]

you bunch of mega-nerds.

Your mom called. Says you forgot your Hanna Montana lunchbox at home, and that you're grounded because you didn't put your barbies away yesterday afternoon. True story.

Skuth

Novice
Jools said:
Skuth said:
Games Master UK
Mar 7, 2011

you bunch of mega-nerds.

Your mom called. Says you forgot your Hanna Montana lunchbox at home, and that you're grounded because you didn't put your barbies away yesterday afternoon. True story.

Your reading skill called. It says it feels lonely because you don't use it.

Angthoron

Arcane
Skuth said:
Mega-nerds may feel slighted that they can't dig into the mechanics quite so easily

:retarded:

Wait what? Shouldn't the mega-nerds be wanting challenge in game mechanics? Learning curve? Figuring things out?

What the fuck, these people don't even know what they don't.

Begriffenfeldt

Educated
Skuth said:
Games Master UK
Mar 7, 2011

you bunch of mega-nerds.
We all know being a nerd is cool now. Being a mega-nerd, however, is not. The things you learn from gaming journalists.

flushfire

Augur
Multiple Sarcasm said:
The tragedy...
Because there weren't enough injury kits and potions and traps to heal the entire African continent half-way through the game.
Or because pressing the Awesome crafting button was so mesmerizing that it was an important enough feature to miss?
Or the game was so difficult one couldn't hope to play it without chugging a dozen potions every fight?
Or something...
the whole point of having crafting skills is having to choose between those and combat/dialogue-oriented ones, at least early game. now while I am not saying DAO gave you difficult choices regarding those at least not every character can have/do everything. also, crafting skills were actually used in a couple (not sure about actual number) of quests if i remember correctly.

but wth, im sure you prefer ea/bio's way of doing it - if it ain't good, remove it.

kris

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
In fact, like Uncharted 2 and Empire Strikes Back, Dragon Age II is the rare sequel that improves upon its already excellent predecessor. The dialogue options inspired by BioWare's work on Mass Effect allow you to roleplay the voiced character of Hawke however you want. Thanks to handy symbols in the radial menu, you can be a snippy prig, a righteous hero, or a wiseass depending on your mood and the situation presented to you. Your mannerisms and choices will affect how your companions feel about you, but instead of only rewarding the player for placating, say, your friend Anders' desire for all mages to be free from the Circle, you also gain benefits from a contentious relationship. Get far along enough on either end of the spectrum from Friend to Rival and your companion will receive strong (and distinct) bonuses to combat.<br /><br />I love this system, because it encourages you to make solid roleplaying decisions early. If you waffle and try to make nice when you actually can't stand Anders and his heavy-handed "Mages rock!" political stance, then you get no benefit at all. If I've learned anything from a lifetime of RPGs, mechanics that support storytelling and vice versa are the goal of all good game design and Dragon Age II manages this perfectly.

Its just so shameless.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I'm want to buy it just so I can watch Isabella's tits and ass.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I tried to be offended but I can't be. Isn't this what we really want? That Bioware just stops all the pretense of making RPG's and goes all out to cater for the casual action crowd?(They certainly aren't aiming for the hard core action fans as the game is too simple for that).

Maybe the creation of this niche will make them them the equivalent of Big Fish Games with their domination of the hidden object market, and they and their dumbfuck fans can go and circle jerk about how great their games are, while leaving the rest of us alone?

Obviously Bioware games are not for RPG mega-nerds anyway.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Big name reviewers heap praise on a new release despite the general consensus that it sucks. Business as usual.

easychord

Liturgist
Escapist is the uber story fag website nowadays. Their dream is for every game to be made only by and for people who like fan fiction and larping. Their most famous and popular recent article was about how Mafia 2 should only be reviewed as a story because gameplay is irrelevant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom