Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Skyrim Preview

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

<p><a href="http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/18/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-preview/">PC Gamer</a> has some preview insights&nbsp;to share with us on the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, here are some selected highlights:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><em>You&rsquo;re nobody &ndash; a prisoner rotting in a cell for some unnamed crime. That&rsquo;s true at the start of every main Elder Scrolls game. But this time it&rsquo;s a cell in Skyrim, the freezing Nordic nation between Oblivion&rsquo;s sunny Cyrodiil and the weird Dark Elf land of Morrowind.</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p><em>You&rsquo;re released. Why, we don&rsquo;t know yet. But you&rsquo;re released into a nation that&rsquo;s tearing itself apart. It&rsquo;s a land governed by nine holds, regions that are traditionally each controlled by a single ruling family. But the system hasn&rsquo;t lasted &ndash; many holds are now governed by elected councils, some have been overthrown, and they&rsquo;re on the brink of war with each other. And as the conflict reaches crisis point, the dragons show up.</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p><em>That&rsquo;s the setting for the fifth game in Bethesda&rsquo;s open-ended RPG series The Elder Scrolls. It uses a new engine, a new combat system, a whole new kind of magic, and an awful lot of snow.</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p><em>When the Dragonborns die out 200 years later, it&rsquo;s not the demons of Oblivion that break through &ndash; it&rsquo;s actual dragons. They&rsquo;re already ravaging the world, and they&rsquo;re nothing compared to what&rsquo;s next. Alduin, the biggest and baddest of the long-lost species, is coming. The Elder Scrolls foretold it, and only a Dragonborn can stop it.&nbsp;</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p><em>Dragon Shouts are three-word phrases, uttered in the dragon tongue, which function as powerful spells. For them to work, you first need to defeat a dragon and take its soul: that gives you the potential to learn its shout. But the words themselves don&rsquo;t come easily: they&rsquo;re written in the dragon&rsquo;s own language on the walls of crumbling ruins all over Skyrim. The dragon&rsquo;s soul gives you the ability to spot power words among the scratchy ancient glyphs.</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p><em>There are more than twenty shouts to learn, from one that&rsquo;s effectively &lsquo;Force Push&rsquo;, to one you whisper to teleport yourself silently toward an enemy.</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p><em>In story terms, obviously, that means any world-saving is going to have to be done by you &ndash; once you&rsquo;re done arsing around with sidequests and guilds. In game terms, it means you have access to a whole new kind of magic the Elder Scrolls games haven&rsquo;t given us before.&nbsp;</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p><em>Dragon Shouts are three-word phrases, uttered in the dragon tongue, which function as powerful spells. For them to work, you first need to defeat a dragon and take its soul: that gives you the potential to learn its shout. But the words themselves don&rsquo;t come easily: they&rsquo;re written in the dragon&rsquo;s own language on the walls of crumbling ruins all over Skyrim. The dragon&rsquo;s soul gives you the ability to spot power words among the scratchy ancient glyphs.&nbsp;</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p><em>The school of Mysticism, which has always seemed a little too miscellaneous to count as a themed set, is gone. Its best spells are now part of other schools like Alteration, making that one in particular more worthwhile &ndash; its spell set was a little skimpy in Oblivion.</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p><em>Enchantment is a magical skill last seen in Morrowind, which lets you imbue your favourite weapon or armour with any spell effect you know. In that game, though, it was rarely worth trying it yourself when vendors could do it for you with no risk of failure. Which is probably why Oblivion removed it as a player skill: there&rsquo;s just a pedestal in the Imperial University that does it for you perfectly every time. Since it&rsquo;s always been one of the most powerful and useful abilities in the world, having it as a player skill in Skyrim could be really interesting.&nbsp;</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p><em>Oblivion&rsquo;s system meant that everyone, from a pure mage to a brainless fighter, had to wield both a weapon and a spell at all times. Skyrim is much more freeform: you have two hands, and it&rsquo;s up to you whether to ready two spells, one spell in both hands, a spell in one and a weapon in the other, or even dual-wield any two single-handed weapons.&nbsp;</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p><em>Oblivion&rsquo;s combat model was all about the sluggishness and difficulty of combat with large, heavy weapons. Skyrim&rsquo;s is more energetic and fast &ndash; there are gruesome finishing moves for each weapon and enemy type.&nbsp;</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p><em>So bows in Skyrim are balanced like sniper rifles &ndash; or more appropriately, like the Huntsman for Team Fortress 2&rsquo;s Sniper class.&nbsp;</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p><em>Skyrim&rsquo;s [skill] system is much simpler and more forgiving. You pick nothing, you just get better at whatever you do. All of it counts towards levelling you up, so you&rsquo;ll progress at a similar rate whatever you spend your time doing. And you don&rsquo;t have to guess what&rsquo;s going to be useful or suitable for your play style: you just try everything and stick at what you like.&nbsp;</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p><em>The series has always toyed with this learn-by-doing system, but it&rsquo;s previously hedged its bets slightly: each game couples it with some form of intentional player choice, which is the tradition in RPGs. Skyrim&rsquo;s only nod to that is a choice of whether to boost your health, magicka or stamina when you level &ndash; the three basic resources you need to survive, cast spells and fight.&nbsp;</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p><em>Making your character-level reflect your power is important, because like all Bethesda&rsquo;s open-world RPGs, Skyrim adjusts some of its content to your current level. If you hated that in Oblivion, don&rsquo;t worry. There it was widespread and heavy handed, which sometimes felt artificial. Bethesda say Skyrim&rsquo;s scaling will be used more like Fallout 3&rsquo;s&nbsp;</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p><em>You level around twice as quickly as in Oblivion, and each time you do, you can choose a single unique improvement to your character.&nbsp;</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p><em>So Skyrim won&rsquo;t scale everything to your character level, but it will tweak its content in a different way as you play: to your choices, rather than your overall power. If you&rsquo;ve already explored the cave complex that would normally be the setting for a sidequest you get later on, the game will secretly change the setting to a dungeon you haven&rsquo;t been to yet. Conversely, the target of an assassination quest might be picked from the characters you&rsquo;ve spent most time with, rather than a perfect stranger, to make the decision to kill them more interesting. If it works, you&rsquo;ll have no idea this stuff is happening, you&rsquo;ll just be having a more interesting experience.&nbsp;</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p><em>Radiant AI is still in, and supposedly improved, and Radiant Story is there to configure exactly how quests interact with the characters governed by it. But it&rsquo;s not meant to generate the whole game&rsquo;s plot &ndash; the main quest and even most elements of the side quests are hand-written, prescripted stuff. It&rsquo;ll just be tweaked to make it more interesting for you.&nbsp;</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p><em>The more tangible improvement with Skyrim&rsquo;s characters is how they look and talk &ndash; as you&rsquo;ll see in the screenshots, the tragic epidemic of Puffy Monkey Face is over at last.</em></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Puffy Monkey Face indeed.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/102048-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-preview.html">GameBanshee</a></p>

Rhalle

Magister
War has come to Skyrim. An Ancient Evil awakens. You must rise to power and collect allies for the final epic bat---zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

As much as I'm looking forward to TESV as an open-worlder/horse anus simulator-- I mean, this plot again?

DA and ME2 weren't enough of this?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jaesun said:
There are more than twenty shouts to learn, from one that’s effectively ‘Force Push’, to one you whisper to teleport yourself silently toward an enemy.

You whisper a shout? Perhaps a change of name is in order?

edit:
Jaesun said:
So bows in Skyrim are balanced like sniper rifles – or more appropriately, like the Huntsman for Team Fortress 2’s Sniper class.

What the hell does that even mean? :retarded:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Rhalle said:
War has come to Skyrim. An Ancient Evil awakens. You must rise to power and collect allies for the final epic bat---zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

As much as I'm looking forward to TESV as an open-worlder/horse anus simulator-- I mean, this plot again?

Of all the thing's I highlighted from the article above, THAT bothered you?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jaesun said:
Rhalle said:

Ah, they are supposed ti be highlights, I wondered why the article felt disjointed as hell. You might try to formate it better next time. And add some zingers. Shape up, man, this is supposed to be a prestigious magazine. :smug:

Rhalle

Magister
Jaesun said:
Rhalle said:

Of what I've heard about Skyrim so far, dual-wielding, AWESOME combat and procedurally-generated fetch quests are the most disturbing.

As a follow up to Turdblivion, as an action-adventure, frankly I'd be satisfied with another Turdblivion with technical improvements; I wouldn't be interested in Bethesda trying to imitate Bioshit by incuding insipid dialogue trees and phony C&C, or by bringing the new shit.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Magic-Skill-Tree-590x331.jpg

Is that really the stats interface? I know it's for consoles, but even with that in mind, I don't see how anyone would find it more practical than the pos they already created in oblivion!

Ow, here's the inspiration...

You level around twice as quickly as in Oblivion, and each time you do, you can choose a single unique improvement to your character.
Nice! I always wanted to reach level 70 like in WoW.

That daily business is something you can even join in with. You can head down the mines with the locals to chip out some ore, then head to the forge and smith it into your own homebrew weaponry. You can farm, do woodwork,
After the disaster of oblivion's AI, journalists still believe this kind of bullshit? Besides, what's the point? Why would I follow miners in their hard working day?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
In fact, these days one can judge the degree of retardation of a game just by looking at the inventory screen.

And looking at that "thing" above I would not even even call that an interface any more.

This, for example, is an interface:

arcanum_inventory.jpg

or this:

237356-wiz8_super.jpg

or this:

3623038900_198604eca8_o.jpg

and this is a screen saver with a little information on the bottom:

The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Magic-Skill-Tree-590x331.jpg

Silentrider

Augur
Jaesun said:
Skyrim’s [skill] system is much simpler and more forgiving. You pick nothing, you just get better at whatever you do.
And they still call it a RPG?

Rhalle

Magister
Burning Bridges said:
Oh my god the interface, they really managed to lower the bar even from Oblivion.

Yeah, that too. It's fucking atrocious.

Micmu

Magister
There's one less magic school, too (Mysticism). Funny that no one of you MW fanboys noticed that yet.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Bethesda. Bethesda never changes.

Edit:

The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-One-in-Each-Hand-557x500.jpg

Wtf! :lol:

At least they have a sense of humor with the dual shield combination.

spectre

Arcane
So, the hole brunt of character building seems to have shifted from skills to perks at levelup.

What can I say, :-/

ksjav

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
Jaesun said:
You’re nobody – a prisoner rotting in a cell for some unnamed crime. That’s true at the start of every main Elder Scrolls game. But this time it’s a cell in Skyrim, the freezing Nordic nation between Oblivion’s sunny Cyrodiil and the weird Dark Elf land of Morrowind.
VENGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANCE!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
evdk said:
Jaesun said:
So bows in Skyrim are balanced like sniper rifles – or more appropriately, like the Huntsman for Team Fortress 2’s Sniper class.

What the hell does that even mean? :retarded:

The Huntsman bow in TF2 has a ridiculous "hitbox scan", meaning that arrows that fly at your shoulders, your upper torsos or just about vaguely in the direction of your head will count as headshots and kill you dead.

That's why it's also known as the Lucksman or the Cuntsman.

(I feel dirty for posting in a Skyrim thread.)

aries202

Erudite
And so Skyrim, TESV, apparently still has the ancient evil, the saving the world and maybe even join the secret order of Dragonborns? As for the foretelling, maybe they really shouldn't talk or write so much - about future events, I mean?

And the Archdem - ahem - I mean Alduin... Didn't I just defeat this guy (or girl?) in another game? Sure, I did. It's called Dragon Age: Origins....

As for the leveling and how this works now in Skyrim, I like it. I've always thought the leveling system in Oblivion (and other tes games) was sort of broken...

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You’re released. Why, we don’t know yet. But you’re released into a nation that’s tearing itself apart. It’s a land governed by nine holds, regions that are traditionally each controlled by a single ruling family. But the system hasn’t lasted – many holds are now governed by elected councils, some have been overthrown, and they’re on the brink of war with each other. And as the conflict reaches crisis point, the dragons show up.

Wasn't that supposed to be the plot to Oblivion? Just substitute the word dragons for demons and they're identical.

Yeah, it doesn't sound promising.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
K...well...im just gonna start up daggerfall again...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom