Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deus Ex: Human Revolution Preview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Deus Ex: Human Revolution; Eidos Montreal

<p>WorthPlaying apparently had some <a href="http://worthplaying.com/article/2011/8/2/previews/82634/" target="_blank">hands-on time</a> with Eidos' <strong>Deus Ex: Human Revolution</strong>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>For the stealthier folks, Deus Ex: Human Revolution could almost be inspired by Metal Gear Solid. Because each area is designed with multiple passages, it is possible to avoid almost every enemy. This is done by staying out of sight through a combination of smart cover usage and looking for alternate paths. Here, vent covers and air ducts allow us to pass undetected.<br /><br />At the end of the warehouse level is the game's first real persuasion test. In facing off against a terrorist with a hostage, you have to attempt to talk him down. This is done by choosing to respond with a certain tone, such as sympathetic, and seeing how he reacts. Read your opponent well, and you can convince him to give up the hostage without spilling an ounce of blood. We've been told by Square Enix that it is possible to mess up a conversation and not get the desired result if you misread someone's reactions. In that case, the issue is permanent. You can't just go back and try again.<br /><br />After the warehouse level, it's back to Sarif Industries for some more exploration and opening up of side-quests. All quests in Deus Ex: Human Revolution appear on your HUD; however, side-quest and main story quests show up in different colors, making them easy to distinguish.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>What about the color-blind people? How will they be able to distinguish side-quests from main story quests? Looks like there's still some polish to do in the remaining weeks until release.</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/104113-deus-ex-human-revolution-preview.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Looks like the hands-on time they had with the game was the press demo that was leaked not too long ago. It covered the same slice of gameplay at least. It was pretty damn awesome. Missions came in two vareities really. There was the short prequel, the first and the last mission in the demo. Those were pretty linear. Corridor shooters with 2-3 alternate paths between bottlenecks in some cases. But between those 2 there was a really neat hub. The police station (and various sidequests) in the hub were far more satisfying to do, even if they were shorter by virtue of having allowed so many different points of entry. I hope the final game has more of the latter and less of the former.

Worthplaying said:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution has the potential to be a game of the year contender — and that is not a term that we throw around lightly.

Nigga please. That phrase gets thrown around more often than a midget at a viking festival.

Black

Arcane
For the stealthier folks, Deus Ex: Human Revolution could almost be inspired by Metal Gear Solid.
MGS invented stealth.

KevinV12000

Arcane
Even though the author was clearly impressed and was as positive as possible, the game presented sounds pretty mundane, a simple console game. When one's choice is limited to "lethal or non-lethal force" you know you are in Console-topia.

Pass.

baronjohn

Cipher
KevinV12000 said:
Even though the author was clearly impressed and was as positive as possible, the game presented sounds pretty mundane, a simple console game. When one's choice is limited to "lethal or non-lethal force" you know you are in Console-topia.

Pass.
Well, it's got more C&C (gameplay and otherwise) than DX 1 that's for sure.

Gerrard

Arcane
It doesn't matter how much C&C it has when the gameplay is shit.

Black

Arcane
commie said:
M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E said:
Black said:
For the stealthier folks, Deus Ex: Human Revolution could almost be inspired by Metal Gear Solid.
MGS invented stealth.

No that was theif.

Actually MGS came out before Thief. The original back in 1987. But even the one they probably mean was released a few months before Thief.

It wasn't MGS, it was just Metal Gear.
Fucking dumb red menace.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Black said:
commie said:
M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E said:
Black said:
MGS invented stealth.

No that was theif.

Actually MGS came out before Thief. The original back in 1987. But even the one they probably mean was released a few months before Thief.

It wasn't MGS, it was just Metal Gear.
Fucking dumb red menace.

Ooh, so I made a minor error that doesn't affect the point. If I complained about every pile of incorrect shit you posted DU would have to invest in new hard drives to store it all.

Project: Eternity
cogar48 said:
Gerrard said:
It doesn't matter how much C&C it has when the gameplay is shit.

I see you haven't played the leak.
Word. If you liked the original Deus Ex, you'll find that they took that formula and added more to it. The gameplay of the leak was simply terrific.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Still sceptic because of the cover-mechanic. I fucking detest that shit. Everything else seems to have been implemented pretty well.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
malko_sundervere said:
Word. If you liked the original Deus Ex, you'll find that they took that formula and added more to it. The gameplay of the leak was simply terrific.
If by "added more to it" you mean a cover system, quest compass, enemy radar, camera cones, and cutscenes then I agree. Never mind that they took away ATMs and the ability to interact with almost everything in the environment.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Seriously, the hate on camera-cones is retarded. We play RPGs, you know, we're supposed to like stuff that represents the fact that your character is better than you at stuff (like, an agent recognizing the reach of cameras). If it's because of challenges, challenges that have "secret" information are usually not well designed. The AP- cones were bad because they negated any form of challenge, so it should be designed differently, but the camera-cones are not a problem in and of themselves.

All the other stuff I agree with you. But the cover system is the only one that makes me seriously doubt I'll enjoy the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Camera cones are for couch sitters who can't tell what direction a tiny camera is facing. JC Denton was a superagent who did just fine without needing a giant colored cone telling him where the camera was pointing.

cogar48

Educated
Roguey said:
malko_sundervere said:
If by "added more to it" you mean a cover system, quest compass, enemy radar, camera cones, and cutscenes then I agree. Never mind that they took away ATMs and the ability to interact with almost everything in the environment.

So, you have played it?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
cogar48 said:
So, you have played it?
Does someone have to necessarily play something to get basic information about it (Note I said nothing about its quality; I just listed features it has and doesn't have)? Everything I said is a fact that that can be found through minutes of searching.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Grunker said:
All the other stuff I agree with you. But the cover system is the only one that makes me seriously doubt I'll enjoy the game.

If you mean "popamole, stick to a crate or wall, 3rd person shooting" I played the demo without using the cover system once. Played it as I would the original and never seemed to need it or notice that I needed it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom