Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Darklands is now available on GOG

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tags: Darklands

<p>Darklands <a href="http://af.gog.com/en/gamecard/darklands/?as=1649904300">now available</a> on GOG:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Historically accurate representation of medieval greater Germany lets you go from zero to hero over the course of your adventure. No wizards, elves, dwarfs, or other nonsense &ldquo;fantasy.&rdquo; This game is (more or less) realistic in terms of what it throws at you, rather than using the same &ldquo;Evil wizard wants to take over the world&rdquo; plot. This is all about gaining fame and becoming a noble medieval hero or a black knight terrorizing the commoners! Superstitions and beliefs of a 15th century greater Germany is what you will be up against while traveling the countryside. Alchemy replaces magic, although there is witchcraft, which those bad cultists use to aid them in their unholy demon summoning rituals.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>The character creation process is unique as well. You don&rsquo;t have to start as an Level 1 Warrior, instead you choose one of six family backgrounds (ranging from a farmer to a noble prince) which affects the initial range of occupations that shape your character as you wish. You can either choose to make a young noble prince, that yearns to become a hero (giving you more time to train him up) or make a team of qualified mercenaries that already are capable in swordsmanship. If you&rsquo;re not into elaborate character creation you can use the Quickstart option to begin the game with a default set of characters that are just right for everything. Apart from characteristics, your heroes are defined by skills. Skills play a very big role in Darklands, as they&rsquo;re used for a success/failure check in nearly all actions you will execute in medieval Germany, but don&rsquo;t fret you train no matter if you succeed or fail a particular task.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Incline your cRPG experience and <a href="http://af.gog.com/en/gamecard/darklands/?as=1649904300">get your copy here</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Last edited by a moderator:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Awesome game. Did RTwP before Bioware "invented" it and Bethesda "perfected" it.

I'll get back to it someday when I get a boxed version from ebay, not some lame download from jews.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jaesun said:
Historically accurate representation of medieval greater Germany lets you go from zero to hero over the course of your adventure. No wizards, elves, dwarfs, or other nonsense “fantasy.”

This reminds me of those shitty "we're better than coke, we swear!" pepsi commercials. What's wrong realismfags? Why can't you ever advertise your games on their own merits?

Turjan

Arcane
Mastermind said:
Jaesun said:
Historically accurate representation of medieval greater Germany lets you go from zero to hero over the course of your adventure. No wizards, elves, dwarfs, or other nonsense “fantasy.”

This reminds me of those shitty "we're better than coke, we swear!" pepsi commercials. What's wrong realismfags? Why can't you ever advertise your games on their own merits?

Even the screenshots reference sacrifices to and a meeting with "The Wild Hunt".

Mastermind said:
Jaesun said:

Of course, back in the day, both companies ran rigorous blind taste-testing for research to see who had the edge. Personally, I'm a coke man, but apparently Pepsi utterly smashed coke in blind taste tests, even amongst those who stated a preference for Coke.

Hence two outcomes: (a) Pepsi promotes itself on tasting better than Coke, (b) Coke shits themselves, and changed their formula, with a big advertising campaign for 'new coke'.

New coke's flop is something that gaming companies would do well from studying. In blind taste tests, new coke pwned old coke - finally they had something that could compete with Pepsi on blind taste.

Trouble is, that meant that they were trying to sell coke....to people who didn't like coke (see the connection here with gaming?). New Coke flopped hard, because the people who would have preferred new coke would simply buy Pepsi instead.

Of course, Coke then brought back Coke Classic, which sold through the fucking roof and erased all losses from the New Coke debacle, because their fans were so happy to actually be catered to again (oh how'd I'd love to see some crpg companies learn from this and come out with a 'crpg classic' product line).

Then Coke went for ultra-cheap advertising first from a then completely unknown model (a young Elle McPherson) and later casts completely devoid of celebrity endorsements while Pepsi was spending fuckloads on having Michael Jackson's Pepsi ad displayed on every station, wall and film preview in the world. Using the money they saved, Coke quietly went around and bought up all the bottlers and distributors :smug: . And then used them to force the retail points to only stock coke products intead of pepsi, for properties to only stock Coke vending machines etc, and suddenly Pepsi couldn't get its product out anymore. (fuck. That's why this doesn't help gaming - it's basically EA and the major publishers blocking creative crpg-design).

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Turjan said:
Mastermind said:
Jaesun said:

Even the screenshots reference sacrifices to and a meeting with "The Wild Hunt".

So the "historically accurate representation of medieval greater Germany" with "no nonsense "fantasy" is in fact a fantasy game and the dipshit who wrote that didn't even play it?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Azrael the cat said:
Mastermind said:
Jaesun said:

Of course, back in the day, both companies ran rigorous blind taste-testing for research to see who had the edge. Personally, I'm a coke man, but apparently Pepsi utterly smashed coke in blind taste tests, even amongst those who stated a preference for Coke.

Hence two outcomes: (a) Pepsi promotes itself on tasting better than Coke, (b) Coke shits themselves, and changed their formula, with a big advertising campaign for 'new coke'.

New coke's flop is something that gaming companies would do well from studying. In blind taste tests, new coke pwned old coke - finally they had something that could compete with Pepsi on blind taste.

Trouble is, that meant that they were trying to sell coke....to people who didn't like coke (see the connection here with gaming?). New Coke flopped hard, because the people who would have preferred new coke would simply buy Pepsi instead.

Of course, Coke then brought back Coke Classic, which sold through the fucking roof and erased all losses from the New Coke debacle, because their fans were so happy to actually be catered to again (oh how'd I'd love to see some crpg companies learn from this and come out with a 'crpg classic' product line).

Then Coke went for ultra-cheap advertising first from a then completely unknown model (a young Elle McPherson) and later casts completely devoid of celebrity endorsements while Pepsi was spending fuckloads on having Michael Jackson's Pepsi ad displayed on every station, wall and film preview in the world. Using the money they saved, Coke quietly went around and bought up all the bottlers and distributors :smug: . And then used them to force the retail points to only stock coke products intead of pepsi, for properties to only stock Coke vending machines etc, and suddenly Pepsi couldn't get its product out anymore. (fuck. That's why this doesn't help gaming - it's basically EA and the major publishers blocking creative crpg-design).

Coaxmetal.jpg

Zomg

Arbiter
But... it does have dwarves, and magic, and moralism

It's not realistic, rather it's like being in medieval German folklore and religious belief instead of modern fantasy.

Turjan

Arcane
Zomg said:
But... it does have dwarves, and magic, and moralism

It's not realistic, rather it's like being in medieval German folklore and religious belief instead of modern fantasy.
This. All superstitions are real. So I guess it comes down to how you define "nonsense fantasy" in that exposition text in the OP.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
As a person who owns a couple copies of the game and the hint book, I would strongly encourage those who own Darklands to check out the hint book. It was just a good book to kind of pick up and read, for the Saints reference guide and German history, which could also be used for completing the game.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Erzherzog said:
Darklands is one of the few cRPGs that Codexers should be required to play.
Requiring people to play it makes it sound like there is very little compulsion in people to play a game like Darklands. ;)

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
FeelTheRads said:
Awesome game. Did RTwP before Bioware "invented" it and Bethesda "perfected" it.

I'll get back to it someday when I get a boxed version from ebay, not some lame download from jews.

Here's one (the only one that's not in the ridiculous price range too):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Darklands-Seale ... 1c1fb88959

Bought a copy off eBay months ago, only to lose it during the shipping process :x

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Sio.. does it have dwarves or not? No to dwarves I say fuck off, yes to dwarves I say fuck on.

Morkar Left

udm said:
FeelTheRads said:

Here's one (the only one that's not in the ridiculous price range too):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Darklands-Seale ... 1c1fb88959

Bought a copy off eBay months ago, only to lose it during the shipping process :x

Unwrapped. Packaged 19 years ago. Fuck, that's some historical value right there!

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
FeelTheRads said:

Still, the combat system is easily the worst part of Darklands. As much as I adore it, it would be a much better game had the developers decided to opt for a turn-based solution.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Having to put up with a PDF manual greatly detracts from the value of this product.

For you see the manual is arguably the best part of Darklands.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom